Sign in to follow this  
dealman

Diamond Ironsights, Why?

Does anyone have any idea why Diamond-shaped Ironsights even exist? I mean, compared to the good old circular-shaped ironsight what benefits does it have? I personally despise the diamond-shaped ironsight, not only does it feel impractical - it looks absolutely horrific! It feels like it heavily limits my field of view compared to a circular ironsight.

For example;

armPGPr.jpg

You can see that the Diamond-shaped one is slightly more zoomed in, but not by a whole lot. But it's also much more obstructed which to me kind of makes it useless.

I personally sincerely hope Bohemia refrains from this and stick with the current kinds of ironsights. It makes ArmA 3 feel too much like Ghost Recon: Future Soldier rather than ArmA. But that's my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

These are my Troy Iron sights on my AR-15, I feel these are superior to regular iron sights. I have faster follow-up shots with these. This is the future of iron sights. Ill post next because its my first.

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

WP_20130226_025.jpg

Edited by WarfighterOne

diamond sights are better because of their sharply defined perpendicular lines. makes looking through them a little easier on the eyes and lining-up targets is also a little easier.

makes looking through them a little easier

I feel the exact opposite, I feel that it limits me instead. Guess it's just a matter of preference... Shame they whacked that Ironsight onto the TRG of all guns :(

Iron sights are designed to be accurate over range. Not quick, or snap to target like reflex's etc. These diamond sights look handy.

EDIT: Actually, are these back up sights?

Without transparent, VBS-style sights, all closed iron sights are virtually useless. Screen =/= eyeball.

maybe add a crate in the editor w/ all weapon attachments, or better yet a loadout editor for your profile(for use in custom, and MP) like the one Dslyecxi made for himself:

This would allow the player to kit out as they see fit and use sights they choose(for the most part), seems like a problem solver for more than one issue to me.

Yeah, these sights on the TRG are a bit unpractical and obstructive, I make note and we'll remodel them, this is easily done. Thanks for pointing it out!

Yeah, these sights on the TRG are a bit unpractical and obstructive, I make note and we'll remodel them, this is easily done. Thanks for pointing it out!

Hello Vespa,

That's great news. Are you familiar with the sights of the AA-12 in PMC DLC? It would be great if such things were not repeated with ArmA 3.

Even your average M16 sight severely obstructs the players view because we use a camera, and not two eyes. In reality, no obstruction of vision take place.

VBS 2, on the other hand, has an optional feature that makes optics transparent. It looks horrible, but actually models the real-world function of optics. I know for a fact that a sizable minority of the community would cry tears of joy if this feature was ported to A3, without any embellishment whatsoever. Function over form, so long as it's optional.

Yeah, AA-12 was a good joke :-D

Worry not, I understand the eye vs camera issue - without stereo vision or transparency, the model has to accomodate and be less obstructive. We did that in case of MX and Katiba sights, but TRG somehow eluded our attention.