Sign in to follow this  
jatobi

Latest 2 beta patches = lock up

So I've been playing ArmA for a very long time and have never had this problem.

As I play mods that require having the latest beta patch, I constantly update in order to play on the servers running the mods I play.

The past 2 beta patches, ARMA2_OA_Build_101747.zip and ARMA2_OA_Build_102111.zip, has caused my game to cease functioning in multiplayer.

What happens is I get to the menu screen and I click Multiplayer to get into the browser....get a "Receiving" screen and I am able to move the cursor around but the game is frozen. It just sits there.

Now, I cannot alt f4 to close it, I ctrl+alt+delete to bring up Windows 7 menu screen and select task manager to even get out of the game.

Here's the funny part....I can't end task on the game. I click end task, and it doesn't do anything, stays running as a process. I have tried using process explore to end it, and it doesn't do anything as well.

In order to get it to shut down, I MUST restart the computer.

This ONLY happens when I run the beta patch. If I run regular ArmA 2 OA, it works perfect.

This has only happened with the past 2 beta patches listed above.

The error I get in my event viewer is:

The program Arma2OA.exe version 1.62.101.747 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 13d4
Start Time: 01ce0d5ba755f54f
Termination Time: 60000
Application Path: F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\Arma2OA.exe
Report Id: 

I have no idea what has happened since these 2 beta patches. Everything has worked just fine before.

Things I've done

1. Restarted Computer
  2. Uninstalled ArmA 2 and ArmA 2 OA
  3. Deleted all files associated with ArmA 2 and ArmA 2 OA
  4. Removed registry entries associated with ArmA 2 and ArmA 2 OA
  5. Reinstalled ArmA 2 and ArmA 2 OA three times

This is a Steam copy of the game.

Nothing I do fixes the problem.

Again, this only happens with the beta patch (the latest 2 listed above).

I would love to have these work as the servers I'm trying to play on are....running them =P.

BIS, help!!!

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

(1de0.3bc): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll - 
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for kernel32.dll - 
eax=00000000 ebx=450b4400 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=450b43c0 edi=121ced9c
eip=77670bd2 esp=121cea5c ebp=121cea6c iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na po nc
cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00000202
ntdll!ZwGetContextThread+0x12:
77670bd2 83c404          add     esp,4

The minidump in my OA folder under local\ArmA 2 OA\arma2oa.mdmp

take your arma2oa.rpt, arma2oa.bidmp, arma2oa.mdmp and compress them into archive then send them to my email (it's my forum nickname @ bistudio.com)

take your arma2oa.rpt, arma2oa.bidmp, arma2oa.mdmp and compress them into archive then send them to my email (it's my forum nickname @ bistudio.com)

Sent.

I have the same issue.

Since updating to beta 101747 i have not been able to join a game without the game hanging at 'waiting for host'. It hangs my ARMA2OA.exe to the point that i cant kill the process or its tree, via task manager or any other kill process program. The only way i am able to resolve it is by restarting my system and rolling the beta back to 101480.

I have tried with all betas after 101747 and have had the same crash happen to me again.

For the time being its not much of an issue as the servers i play on run the earlier patches so i can roll back, but i feel that they will be updating soon and i will be caught out and wont be able to join.

I have sent my copies of the file to the same address in the hope that it helps resolve this issue.

Let me know if you need any further arma2 reports as a friend of mine is having the same issue.

Edited by Nixeh

New beta drivers do not resolve the issue. Have tried all beta versions up to the current (102285)

i will need your arma2oa.log , arma2oa.mdmp , arma2oa.bidmp from the moment of crash, my email is equal to my nickname @bistudio.com

(compress these 3 files with e.g. 7zip and use subject [crash])

unfortunately the crash dumps were obsolete (unrelated to your fresh crash) ...

always make sure the mdmp, rpt, bidmp files are from same crash event

Hmmm, not sure what happened there. They should have been the crash files from the correct version. Anyhoo i have updated to the newer patched and retried and had the same luck. I have just sent you the updated files.

If it helps it appears to be crashing at 'Waiting for host' if i connect via Dayzcommander, and if i try via the game lobby, it hangs after i click 'Multiplayer' on the 'receiving' screen. Thought it might be down to my firewall, but i have removed and recreated the firewall exceptions which didnt resolve the issue.

Cheers again for the help.

well I see no new arma2oa.bidmp , arma2o.mdmp from You ... the files have 20 days old date

what antivirus you use ?

my speculation is that the game freeze crash w/o any dumps

Edited by Dwarden

Im using ESET Smart Security 5

Yes the bidmp and mdmp files have not been accessed as the game doesnt really crash. The game hangs, i cannot kill the process and therefore have to restart the system to launch any other game or to relaunch Arma2. It does not allow me to use my desktop either as acts if like it is part of the Arma2 menu (default Win7 mouse cursor overridden with Arma2 mouse cursor). Restarting the system is the only way i have to resolve this as it currently stands.

Edited by Nixeh

what i'm saying is that these files are old

please erase arma2oa.mdmp , arma2oa.bidmp , arma2oa.rpt

and try run & crash the game again

Deleted the files, retried and hung/crashed at 'Waiting for Host'

It generated the RPT file but due to it not actually 'crashing' it hasnt generated the other 2.

I have resent you the updated RPT file.

Edited by Nixeh

only what comes to my mind now is one of following

1. update drivers

2. clean the downloaded mission and saved games folders

3. reset config file

4. reinstall game

nothing else

I have done the above to no avail, even tried to Beta drivers with no luck.

101480 still works fine.

101747 and versions since still hang the process.

It doesnt feel like a graphically caused issue. What changed between these 2 patches? The only 2 things i can think it to be are changes to networking/NAT which would explain why it crashes at 'waiting for host' or selecting mulitplayer. Or a memory change which would explain why the process hangs and a restart is required.

I have also tested my RAM overnight and it whizzed through those fine.

Comparing the working RPT to the crashed RPT it looks as if the crashed one crashes out due to the following:

Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Offroad_SPG9_Gue/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/HMMWV_Ambulance/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/HMMWV_Avenger/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/USMC_Soldier/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/USMC_Soldier_AT/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Profiteer2/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/M119/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/DSHkM_Mini_TriPod/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/SearchLight/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Igla_AA_pod_East/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/RU_Soldier/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/2b14_82mm/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/M252/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/M2HD_mini_TriPod/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/MK19_TriPod/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/C130J/
Unrecognized CfgVehicles simulation  in bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/T34/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/StreetLamp/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/StreetLamp_BaseWeakYellow/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/StreetLamp_BaseMediumOrange/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/StreetLamp_BaseMediumPale/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/StreetLamp_BaseStrongPale/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/StreetLamp_EP1/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/Land_Lamp_Cable_EP1/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/Land_Lamp_Street1_decor_EP1/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/Land_Lamp_Small_EP1/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/Land_Lamp_Street1_EP1/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/Land_Lamp_Street2_EP1/
Unrecognized CfgNonAIVehicles simulation thing in bin\config.bin/CfgNonAIVehicles/Land_Lampa_Ind_EP1/

Couldnt find the files related to these vehicles, and was wondering what would cause them?

Im having the same problem as Nixeh After updating my beta patch to ARMA2_OA_Build_102591 i had a pretty big problem , the game starts just fine and i can use all the buttons in the main menu except the MP button.

When i Press Multiplayer it switches to the loading screen where it says Recieving and after a few seconds the background music stops and the program locks up completely to the point where i have to either logout from my user in windows or restart the whole computer. somehow even if im out of the game it belives that im in game and gives me the game mouse icon that i cant use to click on anything but the windows startbutton and the programs in that window.

I have since tried alot of the betapatches and found out that i can run the betapatches up to and including ARMA2_OA_Build_101480 without any problems but not anyone after that one, they all give me the same error.

After alot of tinkering around and changing my firewall rules to allow everything that has anything to do with ARMA 2 and OA. I found that only way for me to get the program running and letting me past the reciving lock when i click MP is for me to completely shutdown my firewall, this works with ARMA2_OA_Build_102591 and should work for those before it aswell (haven't tested it yet though), however this is not really a good solution. This leads me to believe that something was changed in ARMA2_OA_Build_101747 that effects network comunication.

Have there been any additions in what ports should be open or have protocols changed for MP if so, what so i can reconfigure my firewall to fit the new beta patches?

the AV/Firewall that im running is ESET Smart Security 5.095.0

Hardware

I7 980x

Nvidia 660 TI

16GB corsair Vengance 1600MHz

Im using ESET Smart Security 5....
...the AV/Firewall that im running is ESET Smart Security 5.095.0...

looks like its your FW

Well somehow it is but as i said my firewall works perfectly with arma pre beta patch build 101747, and i have done everything that can be done to allow it through the firewall so that only leaves that that something has changed with the networking concernign MP in build 101747 and on the following builds after that

Correct they have changed some stuff in the new betas. No issue for me on win7 firewall and MSE . I sometimes have to allow a new beta exe to leave.it always asks if it needs to. Maybe your AV/FW is too high for gaming? Have you read the Beta threads on this?

Ofcourse they'v changed stuff in the beta patch sort of what its for... I have set every singel exe file that comes with arma 2, arma2 OA, the beta aswell as the server exe's to be allowed through the firewall on whatever port they like on both udp and tcp so it should not be a problem. I have also checked my firewall logs and it does show that it lets it through a few seconds before the game crashes. The AV/FW is not a problem in any other games and have never been a problem in arma either until beta build 101747 so obviously its something that they have changed that doesnt work well with ESET FW. Have double checked everything it works perfectly if i downgrade the beta patch to the one that came before 101747 but not on 101747 and after that. I have search through the other beta threads and can only find a reference to this thread in them.

So any information on how to solve this would be greatly appriciated.

Edited by Spittingkobra

Solved the problem some how the battle eye service had been set to manual start when i updated to the new beta patch so i just set it to automatic and now it seems to be working.

@jatobi still issue with 1.62.102678 ?