Sign in to follow this  
jptiger

formation spacing.

hey guys.

is it an idea to be able te set AI spacing in the formations.

since in the stock game the spacing seems unrealistically small. (IRL you will be spotter quicker)

cause depending on the mission (i.e IED/boobytrap thread) you want a large spacing of your units.

so the options would be.

formation menu.

- set spacing......

-5m

-7.5m

-10m

etc

what do you think of the idea.

sorry for bad grammar.

jptiger

Yep. CoC mod had it years ago for OFP and maybe Arma 1. Was useful and not sure why it hasn't made it in to Vanilla.

Yeah, this is really needed IMHO. IED/booby traps? Heh, try incoming mortar round / your AA soldier fires a missile into a tree right in front of his nose / incoming OG7 or HEDP, etc., & watch half your team (& you, often) get wiped out...

Someone -IIRC Sakura-Chan - dug out the the formation configs from the game 5-6 months ago (sorry, don't have the link). There were entries in the config that seemed a bit obscure - maybe these were spacing-related? There might be at least some scope for spacing - cf. "Column" vs. "File". Way beyond my scripting level however.

Yes exactly. Formation spacing should definitely be one of the things we can do via the command system. Step up & down by 2m increments or something like that :)

That's overkill. 5m, 10, 20 should be good enough.

2 meter increments don't make a difference to a grenade or mine.

Yes exactly. Formation spacing should definitely be one of the things we can do via the command system. Step up & down by 2m increments or something like that :)

Indeed. That's hard to believe it wasn't already implemented.

That's overkill. 5m, 10, 20 should be good enough.

2 meter increments don't make a difference to a grenade or mine.

Well that's 2m per unit, if you have 20 units that's 10 per side (wedge formation) and a 20m increase in total formation length per side for each increment. But anyway, 2m or something like that :)