Sign in to follow this  
Selloh

Arma2/OA crash2desktop with amd 7970

Hey guys

I have one extremly frustrating issue with Arma2/OA

I bought a Sapphire 7970 vaporX ghz edition and every game i have runs fine except Arma

If i play Arma, (playing or the benchmark2) it will freeze for maybe 2-5 seconds and crash2desktop and the sound is freezed aswell.

I have to use ctrl-alt-del and shotdown arma2 and after I did that, I get artifacts in Arma and some other games (not all of them)

I have to restart my PC to get it ''normal'' in Arma2 but it still crashes in that game.

Only Arma will bring me that problem every other game i have runs fine for hours and hours.

Reinstall of Windows and Arma didnt help to fix that :(

I tried catalyst 12.11, 13.1, 13.2 everytime the same issue

Can anybody help me or tell me what that is ?

Temps are good: GPU @ max 50°c

VRM @ max 60-65°c

PC components:

i7 950@ 4,2 ghz

EVGA x58 ftw³

12gb RAM

Sapphire 7970 vaporX ghz edition

PSU: 950w

English isnt my nativ Language im sorry if there are some incorrect words or sentences :P

try furmark and do a stress test on your gpu, i have the same problem with my gtx560 last time. Found out that when gpu usage hits 100% then it hang, i rma the GPU the next day.

Other games wont really stress the gpu like arma2.

Well i tried furmark for 1-2 hours no crash everything is fine :/

I cant understand this issue -.- is it maybe a amd driver problem or something ?

Any other tips ?

UPDATE: It looks like its a driver problem of the new catalyst (13.1 + 13.2 + 12.11) with 12.10 there is no crash issue and arma runs fine

dunno, 13.2 is working perfect with my old 5850

I always losing screen while reinstalling drivers - have to login to my desktop remotely and restart manually to work.Another issue they mixed up with sdk and bring kdbsync.exe error to millions of pc.

dunno, 13.2 is working perfect with my old 5850

I have the 5850 toxic 2gb, great cards. I stopped at 12.1 as it runs really fast and smooth. I think it depends on your setup a lot, but once 12.1 showed itself to run great on my system, I thought thats it, stop there and risk no further! .;).

7970 user, 12.11b 11beta. Saw no reason to update to the 13.1 WQRL as they are the same. The new beta 13.x are not for pimetime yet, next week should be the good release.

If the game is crashing for you then your Install of said driver is borked, and or you have some setting wrong. There hasn't been a bad driver for A2OA from AMD(except for multiGPU). Some setups will get different performance(2 to 5fps~), any large drops or gains, is do to user error or MS update, MS/AMD install error. I usually test every Driver on the same editor setup, on a Imaged back up, and the drivers have been all the same... The real performance comes from the new Game Betas, same as the lack of. The 69XX series seemed to have peaked on the 12.8, the 5XXX around 12.2~, (also when AMD took out the OC dlls).7970s are still improving some.

So what are your settings? And what version of the game?

Edited by kklownboy

So what are your settings? And what version of the game?

Ingame Settings ?

Texture Detail: Very High

Video Memory: Default

Anisotropic Filter: Very High

Anti Aliasing: Normal

ATOC: Disabled

Terran Detail: Very High

Object Detail: Very High

Shadow Quality: Very High

HDR Quality: Very High

PPA: Disabled

Postprocess Effect: Disabled

Vsync: Disabled

1920x1080 (new monitor will come next week)

Arma is running with the new patch 100296

since i installed the catalyst 12.10 patch there are no crashes at all, if i play arma or other games.

Actually i run my card overclocked @ 1200/1600 and no issues (same at clock speed)

...Arma is running with the new patch 100296

That Beta was a test build. send your crash dumps to Dwarden.

Actually i run my card overclocked @ 1200/1600 and no issues (same at clock speed)
1600! cant call crashes anybodys fault but the mem faults you will get at 1600. Glad it works now. But the Drivers only mess up with install issues. My 7970 runs best on 12.11b beta 11 and the Cap2. So for A2OA, any Driver issue is really a install issue. When it works stick with it. Edited by kklownboy

Delete post please, i'm wrong

Edited by LDU30