Sign in to follow this  
spaggiari

Help request about custom models

Hi there.

This is my first post ever on your forums, I just registered for this actually cause I'm not interested yet in military games.

I'm playing the DayZ mod for Arma II, and there's a map, called Taviana, which allow to mod the mod.

Since I know how to make models, UVW map it, and texture it, I want to do some stuff myself too. The thing is, I don't know anything about editing Arma.

I've been modding GTA:SA for years, so I know a few about rigging, collision etc.

I have a few questions, if you could find the time to answer if you can, I'd be thankful.

1/ How does it work? - models & custom models

I mean here, how do I rigg a custom ped model? How do I put it ingame etc.

2/ What shall I use? I guess it's Oxygen 2 and TexViewer ?

3/ Do you have tips for me?

Thanks a lot, and I wish you all the best for 2013!

Welcome to the forum.

A good start would be to search this forum for tutorials. To be honest, your questions are very basic and have been answered a plethora of times in various ways- all of these answers are available to you on the forum already.

Well I've been reading many things, searching tutorials etc, I didn't find anything I could use yet, but I'll try.

Do you know the name of this file?

dayz-mod-5.jpg

(dayZ character, so I can start editing it)

edit: this looks good: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?114036-STALKERGB-s-Weighting-overview

But that looks kinda hard, and it's not even a real tutorial.

I'm willing to rigg models I made, or converted from other games.

Edited by Spaggiari

Welcome to the forums Spaggiari .

I'm not interested yet in military game

You'll find probably 20% of ArmA stuff (missions, terrains, addons etc) are not "military" ;)

(dayZ character, so I can start editing it)

The "dead people" object?

As with many object (you see by reading the various posts in the editing section) are not available for editing. The files are "binarized" are therefore can't be read by the BIS Tool Suite

You will find a big bunch of ArmA1 sample models (MLOD format) & config files provided by BIS (search forums or BIKI) but I'm pretty sure that above object is ArmA2 and the sample files for ArmA2 have never been provided.

Plus some community members have provided samples/MLODs as well, for anyone's use, sometimes with some restrictions.

NOTE: Permissions to edit files from internal and other sources (including those ripped from other games) ARE required in this community. This community and BIS themselves are not as "loose" about permissions and copyrights as the GTA community tends to be.

No, I was talking about the guy with a gun and a backpack.

I guess there's a way to unbinarize those non available objects?

no, they are binarized and other thing that you must keep in minds are intellectual property rights , unless/if (still messing English words) you want to stay with us :)

you cannot unbinarize BIS ODOL files cause BIS not released MLOD versions of them, but of course you can make such backpack yourself or ask someone who has similar

if you want to create addons non-military even i can offer US Alice backpack cause i have made similar too

Oh, so editing ARMA 2 is not about MODDING it, but ADDING objects to the game.

I won't replace a backpack, I will ADD a new backpack (for example) that's it?

And I can't even REPLACE characters etc too?

Sure, you could probably HACK an existing addon, but you'll never be able to use it ONLINE (auto kicked from servers) and no one else could see it / see the difference.

99% of "Modding" is adding additional units/equipment to the game.

Okay, I get it.

So, tell me, how do I rigg a character, on this character thing? Can't find any videos / tuts.

Oh, so editing ARMA 2 is not about MODDING it, but ADDING objects to the game.

I won't replace a backpack, I will ADD a new backpack (for example) that's it?

And I can't even REPLACE characters etc too?

You can add something to replace something else at load time using a config replacement, but this does not alter the original files at all.

Any replacement pack, I guess. You can, for instance, make all ak-101s ak-74ms instead, or all partisans men in clown suits- that sort of thing.

Okay, I get it.

So, tell me, how do I rigg a character, on this character thing? Can't find any videos / tuts.

Any tuts?

Use a CFG replacement.

Edit: Apologies, already answered above.