Sign in to follow this  
NakedSquirrel

AI Accuracy and Suppression.

I am wondering if it is possible to add a variable or limitation to the AI aiming (accuracy) parameters.

I've noticed a common problem in Arma 2 where AI shoot wildly in the air or at their feet, especially when their skill level is reduced. I was testing a mission last week (AI skill was set to low). I hear loads of gun fire around a corner and I look to see 2 AI standing about 3 meters apart. One is shooting at the others feet while the other was just laying around and staring at the birds. These are probably the two most annoying problems I have with AI. I've found that the LOS script has done a really nice job of increasing reaction time and target acquisition for AI units, but AI aim is unusual.

AI seems to aim at a designated character/target, and it selects random points around the target to shoot at. The radius of dispersion increases as the skill level is reduced.

Now, this is how most AI seem to aim, but my problem with ARMA is that both X and Y coordinates are treated equally. The result is that AI wind up shooting 2 feet in front of them in rough terrain, or way above their target.

I'm wondering if it is possible to limit the Y coordinate, so that AI 'strafe' their targets horizontally instead of just randomly shooting in a circular target area.

It's just an idea. I'm not sure if it's possible (or if my assumption on how ARMA AI aims is correct). So let me know what you think

AFAIK the skill level dictates accuracy.

The difficulty only limits the players abilities, like the map icons etc.

There is a mod for this exact thing but I had a problem with it having a big red ball on top of your head and the AI's head but they may have gotten rid of it. Would be perfect for your problem

There is a mod for this exact thing but I had a problem with it having a big red ball on top of your head and the AI's head but they may have gotten rid of it. Would be perfect for your problem

You were running it in debug mode.

The mod is TPWC AI Suppression System (TPWCAS-).

The problem has a lot to do with AI being unable to manage the "new" (well now it's old) recoil introduced in 1.54.

While clear improvement in terms of a gameplay - BIS forgot to make AI compensate for it. As a result even at highest skill settings it can greatly lack in precision, especially MGs which were made almost harmless after 1.54

ASR AI attempts to fix this and it does help somewhat but still MGs aren't anywhere near as dangerous as they were - by using the "variable" you mention. It doesn't do exactly what you want but it lowers the recoil

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setUnitRecoilCoefficient