Sign in to follow this  
Appogee

Is game is bit too easy at present?

I just beat a Strategy game on hardest difficulty, which surprised me.

I captured about 5 empty islands, while the enemy carrier captured 3 empty islands, and then took two of mine.

He sailed right up to me at a contested island. He foolishly let me get behind him, we pounded each other for a while, then he sank.

Game took about an hour in total.

Balance is a tricky thing, and I've developed good tactics for quickly capturing islands, and a good strategy for slowing the enemy's advance.

But is the game a bit too easy at this time...? What do you think?

(Beta patch 1.03.011).

For me, the strategy game was all about the islands and not so much the enemy carrier. In fact, since destroying the carrier early on makes the rest of the game unlosable, I made the challenge for myself to do all the islands without destroying the enemy carrier, and just scaring him away whenever I could. I am not really rushing the island capture, I prefer to take time to completely take the islands defences apart and then capture them. I just wish there was a way to make all hostile islands "deadly", as those are most fun. Try doing the game this way, see if you have more fun with it.

I read that the beta patch makes the enemy carrier more aggressive, but since my game doesn't launch after applying the patch, I can't try it out.

The enemy carrier has gotten a bit better with the recent patches but overall it is still too easy to beat. I love the island capturing part of the game but I can't resist the urge to try and finish off the enemy carrier when I encounter it and if it doesn't survive (which it never does) it makes for a short unsatisfying game.

Yes - the startegy game - its too easy at the present. I too have stopped playing it now because of the carrier AI (weak) and i think some tweaks are needed for the overall meta game. Unless the enemy carrier AI gets awesomely good, the game will always be a bit anticlimatic once you beat him because the islands are now free for the taking. Putting in some sort of tech tree (making those research labs viable) would also make the game "longer" as you would not start with everything available at once (this may even make islands that are not deadly still a challenge)

If they cannot fix the carrier AI right away, I would think an easier fix (keeping the current carrier AI level), would be to make it respawn at its stockpile island after defeated when a certain time (example 10-20 minutes) has passed. At least that way you always have someone attacking your islands.

Here's hoping for some greatness from the next patch update. :-)

Putting in some sort of tech tree (making those research labs viable) would also make the game "longer" as you would not start with everything available at once
If they cannot fix the carrier AI right away, I would think an easier fix (keeping the current carrier AI level), would be to make it respawn at its stockpile island after defeated when a certain time (example 10-20 minutes) has passed. At least that way you always have someone attacking your islands.

Totally agree on both points, the current ai would suffice if it the enemy carrier respawned. Maybe a simple respawn timer slider added to the strategy game options that goes from never respawn to respawn after 10mins, 20mins, 30mins etc. It would keep the game alive if you destroy the enemy carrier early and it's an option that you wouldn't have to use if want to play classic rules.

The slider implementation would be the best way - heck i would be happy for a toggle switch (hardcoded respawn time when on).... anything to make the overall game experience challenging... lol

Who knows - it may be moddable right now in its current state to do this - but sadly i lack those skills

We may still get a christmas present from the devs in the form of an updated patch :-)

But is the game a bit too easy at this time...? What do you think?

(Beta patch 1.03.011).

I'm a few days behind you, but have come to the same conclusion. This is with patch 1.03 complete - (014).

I've encountered the enemy Carrier about 4 times. Each time it seems to be similar, we get in close. I give him a real pounding and I let him go - in order to prolong the game. He isn't a very serious threat at the moment.

Maybe if he started off pretty much unbeatable and you were forced to flee until, as the balance of islands changed, so too did the relative strengths of the Carriers? Needs something - but in any case, developers - very cool game - thanks for doing justice to one of my favourite games of all time.