Sign in to follow this  
starky396

Undead Chernarus

Undead Chernarus

Description:

You awake at the sight of a crashed helicopter engulfed in flames near Pusta. Only to find that the world is infected with an infection that brings the dead back to life.

Story:

Dimitri, an early retired CDF soldier, returned to Chernarus to visit his Uncle the last remaining of his family although unknown to Dimitri he has now walked into a biological disaster zone. Insurgents have just recently obtained an untested form of biological nerve gas designed to destabilize a population in Takistan so the US could maintain control if the war went badly however this gas was stolen and has bubbled up in the black market now bought by the Insurgents with one purpose in mind revenge. They wanted revenge for their fallen brothers in arms and to satisfy their wild anger.

The bomb was detonated in a small village at the time of night and without sound the dark yellow gas rolled through the village slowly infecting all inhabitants in its path. The next morning began at the sound of violent screams and small arms gun fire. Within moments a normal day in the village had tipped into chaos which would spread throughout Chernarus within days.

Dimitri had woken up amongst the crackling flames from the chopper. He felt dazed, his stomach turned and he felt almost ready to die. But he pushed such thoughts to the back of his mind and focused. Find my Uncle, Get Supplies, Get to the safe zone. With these objectives set in his mind he decided to get moving. The burning chopper would be a beacon to the lurking infected nearby. Dimitri quickly searched the dead USMC chopper crew. He pulled a slightly burned map out of the soldier’s pockets, a radio, and a Glock 17 with 5 magazines. He put the items in his pockets and gripped the

pistol with both hands. Dimitri put a clip into the pistol and pulled back the slider then he checked for the round in the chamber satisfied he switched the safety off. Now I am ready to move he thought. In the wreck of the chopper came a groaning sound. Dimitri readied his Glock and switched the flashlight on. A mix of fear and adrenaline flushed through his body making his hands shake awkwardly which made the beam of the flashlight jerk around. A series of coughing sounds came from under the rubble “shit†“Anyone out there! Please get this crap of me!†“Hold on I’m coming!†Dimitri put the Glock on the ground and lifted up a large piece of the choppers rotor blade. From there a man crawled out he coughed again before falling on his back Dimitri picked up his Glock and turned to walk down the path. “Thanks man†“When the pilot turned I thought we were done for†“We have to go. The infected will be here soon†Dimitri said with urgency.

“Yeah your right name’s Aleksey by the way†Aleksey stood up and held out his hand however Dimitri walked passed and ignored him.

“My name’s Dimitri now cut the chat we need to move†Aleksey felt a little annoyed however with little choice he followed on knowing that Dimitri was right the Infected would find them if they stayed too long.

Features:

Dynamic Weather

Dynamic House effects

Loot spawns on ground

Refueling

Custom Construction options

No addons needed

loadouts

Dynamic Ammoboxes

Low-end PC friendly

Installation:

Extract the .pbo file(s) to your ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead\Missions folder.

Notes:

If you think you could write a story for this please do email me it and I might include it in the mission.

Credits & Thanks:

Celery for his amazing zombie scripts, Bistudio and Armaholic for teaching me how to script and make missions, edgardeth, Cypher, Mike-USA, and Sup3r6f0ur for their wonderful F.O.B’s

APOtheo for beta testing the mission and creating the story.

Changelog:

v0.54
You can now play as a co-op team (Mission Included)
Removed eating as it was too buggy
Removed drinking as it was too buggy
Removed New sleeping feature as it was too buggy
Removed the ability to make a fire as it was too buggy
You now start at a random time!It could be 12 o'clock one time or 4 o'clock the other time!
Removed the theDogs arp mod requirement

v0.53
Switched the magazines you start with from M9 mags to Glock 17 mags
Decreased the number of random hordes you may encounter
Cleaned up some .rpt errors
zombies don't do as much damage

v0.52
You now start out will a Glock 17 like in the first release
Items now spawn faster
less chance of cars being locked
Removed JSRS requirement
Intro text now is faster
Removed the conversations you could have with your partner
More random camps
You now have to sleep, eat, and drink to survive
New sleeping function (Still WIP)
Units at pusta no longer spawn with lots of weapons
All units at the crashsite do not spawn with items and NVG's
Added theDog’s ARP mod (Included, I got his permission to do so)

v0.51
Removed ACR requirement

v0.50
Added DyNO camps
Added Different Spawn points
More Low-End pc friendly
added a story created by APOtheo
added a couple more camps
fixed loot not spawning in cherno
fixed loot not spawning at elektro
Improved construction interface
made the construction interface load faster
Improved the houseEffects function
added the Module Improvement Project module (read MIP section)
Bandages are easier to find
Zombies now drop bandages
Loot is harder to find
Added new music thanks to Celery's Chernarus apocalypse mission
You now spawn with no map, compass, and watch. Now it much more harder!

Forum topic:

- BI forums

- Armaholic Fourms

Edited by Starky396
Added more info, updated page to latest version

Sorry for the silence. The mission is now just about done. I had to re-write the scripts and misison so I could make it 100% addon free. It is also a completly dynamic mission aswell. Also just finished ading loot to the game. Like how in dayZ you find weapons in buildings. It's a little shaky but I will probably fix that up.

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

Anybody willing to beta test the mission?

ArmA II CO: Undead Chernaus -A dynamic zombie misison

==================================

-----------------------

Story

----------------

You awake at the sight of a crashed helicopter engulfed in flames near Pusta. The only survivor is your friend Rob.

Features

------------------

Dynamic Weather

Dynamic House effects

Loot spawns on ground

Refueling

Custom Construction options

No addons needed

Dynamic unit loadouts

Dynamic Ammoboxes

Low-end PC friendly

Requirements

-------------------------

- Arma 2: Combined Operations

Notes

------------

If you think you could write a story for this please do email me it and I might include it in the mission.

Installation

--------------------

- Place the .pbo file into your main ArmA2 missions folder

Version history

--------------------------------

First public release

Edited by Starky396
added link

Sorry friend..i must been blind-can't see any link :D

Anyway i 'll be happy to play the mission-and thanks in advance for your effort :)

Hello there

Ditto on both counts

Rgds

LoK

Looks great so far! I just got my new computer so I haven't been able to play too much but here's some of my thoughts on the mission so far.

1. I'm still getting a missing data message for JSRS.

2. The intro text is very slow to appear. It takes quite a while for it to show up and disappear.

3. Voices are broken up and my character often only says one word when I give my teammate an order, perhaps this is intentional though.

4. This one is personal opinion but perhaps you should change the character model for the player, it just doesn't feel right sneaking around in a suit.

I will play some more when I get the chance and give you some further notes.

1. I'm still getting a missing data message for JSRS.
Fixing that in the new version
2. The intro text is very slow to appear. It takes quite a while for it to show up and disappear.
It isn't a loading screen and the text takes so long because I made the black screen wait 47 seconds to get most of the loot to spawn.
3. Voices are broken up and my character often only says one word when I give my teammate an order, perhaps this is intentional though.
It's a bug in my mission. Still trying to figure out what I did to mess it up.
4. This one is personal opinion but perhaps you should change the character model for the player, it just doesn't feel right sneaking around in a suit.
Good idea I will change them back to their normal clothing. Added that when I was testing to make me look like a big shot.

It isn't a loading screen and the text takes so long because I made the black screen wait 47 seconds to get most of the loot to spawn.

No I mean the text that appears that says "Made by Starky Version 1.0," not the text that says "Loot should be spawned now."

Here are some ideas I had to improve the mission (though with my lack of knowledge in scripting I have no idea if these are feasible):

1. Randomize the locations of Guardposts/Safe Zones/Abandoned stuff with a somewhat higher frequency. At this point I'm always just travelling between the pre-set locations doing the same thing everytime.

2. Random individual survivors or groups of survivors roaming around outside of pre-determined areas... maybe some of them are hostile?

3. Randomize the spawn point. Again I'm basically always starting out my games by stealing the first car I see down the hill and driving to somewhwere with a gas station.

But that's just what I think, obviously you're free to implement whatever you feel is best.

Also the voice thing doesn't seem to show up everytime. It happened my very first game but not my second, so I'm not exactly sure what happened there.

No I mean the text that appears that says "Made by Starky Version 1.0," not the text that says "Loot should be spawned now."
AH yes that part, notI believe it takes so long because there is a lot of loot still spawning. I only said that the loot should be spawning in the general area you are in.
Randomize the locations of Guardposts/Safe Zones/Abandoned stuff with a somewhat higher frequency. At this point I'm always just travelling between the pre-set locations doing the same thing everytime.
Attempting to do that. Trying to implement some DyNO composition packs into the mission.

Anywho, 0.50 should be out tomarrow/wednesday.

Here is the changelog for the upcoming update for 0.50

Added DyNO camps
More Low-End pc friendly
Loot is harder to find

Just fired it onto my dedicated server as a 2nd server!

Played it myself, got that feeling that I had when I first played Dayz! Creepy and exhilarating at the same time!

If anyone wants a blast do a search for OCUK in your filters!

Just fired it onto my dedicated server as a 2nd server!

Played it myself, got that feeling that I had when I first played Dayz! Creepy and exhilarating at the same time!

If anyone wants a blast do a search for OCUK in your filters!

Ah your a member of OCUK lol me to mate.

Give it a try mate!!

I actually thought it was MP compatible, I am sure I read JIP was in one of your updates!

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Ah your a member of OCUK lol me to mate.

Yip :)

I run the server in my sig :)

Hey everybody 0.51 is now on armaholic! Here's the changelog (Same as before):

Added DyNO camps
More Low-End pc friendly
Loot is harder to find

hi,

I tested v0.51 and there's scripting errors popping up on my screen (I use ShowScriptErrors in my shortcut). I took several screenshots to help you identify scripting errors.

mini_334143undeadchernarus2.jpg mini_785338undeadchernarus3.jpg mini_232171undeadchernarus4.jpg mini_287603undeadchernarus5.jpg mini_836684undeadchernarus6.jpg

Note that I didn't took a screen of all errors.

I also have a jsrs addon missing, I guess you forgot to disable it while editing your mission

mini_371423undeadchernarus1.jpg

Delete jsrs_m134 in your mission.sqm class Intro to solve this issue

class Intro
{
addOns[]=
{
	"chernarus",
	"[color="#FF0000"]jsrs_m134[/color]"
};
addOnsAuto[]=
{
	"chernarus"
};
randomSeed=9298871;
class Intel
{
	startWeather=0.25;
	forecastWeather=0.25;
	year=2008;
	month=10;
	day=11;
	hour=9;
	minute=20;
};
};

Another suggestion would be to disable conversation with your AI teammate with player setVariable ["BIS_noCoreConversations", true]; in your init.sqf. Like that, player will not be able to ask how is the weather to the AI.

Looks very promising, keep it up!

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller

Played this for half an hour last night, and...

...LOVED it.

Wow!

A ton of atmosphere, with the sound effects being very well done (are the zombies' voices from the awesome Thief series of games?).

I also appreciate having "sparkling" indicators as to which corpses/zombies have loot on them. I feel, however, that there should still be more loot available, particularly on the military zombies.

It seems to me that whatever caused the outbreak would taken enough time for the military to get heavily armed and equipped, so that finding pistols should be more common, as well as ammo of all sorts and batteries. If possible, I'd also heavily consider coding those who are dressed very well to be equipped with pistols, PDWs, and ammo, as if there's a class of civilians who will ensure that they'll be armed, it's the rich.

Mundane items could also be repurposed. Belts for pants could be looted to later be used as tourniquets, for example. \

Having working autos is a plus. Solid work, and thank you for sharing!

Thank you NiKiller for taking the time test tell me the problems in the mission.

First

I tested v0.51 and there's scripting errors popping up on my screen (I use ShowScriptErrors in my shortcut). I took several screenshots to help you identify scripting errors
Those errors in the picture's where minor issues (except the JSRS issue.)Will fix that in 0.52. Next issue
delete jsrs_m134 in your mission.sqm class Intro to solve this isse.
Already done in 0.52 I just haven't released the next version. The reason that error is in the mission is that I originally wanted to have an intro where you see a helicopter crash, but I decided to not use it. Next issue

What you said about the noCoreConversations, im not exactly sure if I should remove that as I liked it about the nearest settlement part and thought it would be helpful for people without maps.

It seems to me that whatever caused the outbreak would taken enough time for the military to get heavily armed and equipped, so that finding pistols should be more common, as well as ammo of all sorts and batteries. If possible, I'd also heavily consider coding those who are dressed very well to be equipped with pistols, PDWs, and ammo, as if there's a class of civilians who will ensure that they'll be armed, it's the rich.
Actually the infection on happened a week ago, but the military knew about the infection.

Glad to know that people are enjoying my mission!

GREAT mission! Been playing it for a couple of hours already. It's got a few issues though.

The zombies can destroy a vehicle in about 10 seconds. If it is possible for you to decrease the amount of damage done to vehicles it would be much appreciated.

Another issue is the spawns. Most of the time you will spawn at a chopper with no loot near it (I'll get onto this later). But when you spawn at the chopper near Pusta there will be a few dead soliders with LOADS of uber-loot. This kind of ruins that spawn. Think of it as spawning with an M4A1 CCO SD in the DayZ mod.

My third issue is the spawns without loot. Spawning with little to no loot is no problem for me, but when your fellow survivor (with the M1014) doesn't care about zombies beating you or him to death, it becomes a problem. My suggestion would be to spawn with a Makarov PM and about 2 magazines for it, while the other survivor spawns without weapons.

And then we have the loot spawns. They generally work great but theres a couple of improvements to be made (if you are good enough with scripting. I'm a total noob at scripting myself :S). 1. Fixing the issue of two loot piles spawning in the same place. You will usually have to pick up all the items of one loot-pile before being able to loot the second one. 2. More variation in loot. I feel like the same items are there every time (I usually see nothing but Lee-Enfield/Mag, M1911/Mag, G17/Mag, Makarov PM/Mag and CZ550/Mag. But I think this is probably because these are all "civillian" items in the game(?). 3. Weapons should often be accompanied with at least 1 mag for it. Often I find for example a Lee-Enfield along with a Makarov mag. This makes little sense to me. If you are somehow able to make weapons often spawn with the correct ammo for it, that would be awesome.

Food/Water. If this is a survival mission, it would be 10x better if you had to search for food and water. I know there aren't any food or water items in Arma so I'll leave this to the ones who know wether this is possible or not.

Apart from that, EXCELLENT mission! I know I have plenty of fun left in this mission. Looking forward to some updates in the future!

Another issue is the spawns. Most of the time you will spawn at a chopper with no loot near it (I'll get onto this later). But when you spawn at the chopper near Pusta there will be a few dead soliders with LOADS of uber-loot. This kind of ruins that spawn. Think of it as spawning with an M4A1 CCO SD in the DayZ mod.My third issue is the spawns without loot. Spawning with little to no loot is no problem for me, but when your fellow survivor (with the M1014) doesn't care about zombies beating you or him to death, it becomes a problem. My suggestion would be to spawn with a Makarov PM and about 2 magazines for it, while the other survivor spawns without weapons.
you actually do spawn with weapons. I just didn't activate the loadout.sqf file in the mission. also For the Pusta loot spawn, I made a script where all the dead soldiers in the game have random loadouts, but I made it that all the loadouts go to those soldiers.
Food/Water. If this is a survival mission, it would be 10x better if you had to search for food and water. I know there aren't any food or water items in Arma so I'll leave this to the ones who know wether this is possible or not.
I actually was just going to announce this. But I saw your reply to the mission thread so I had to assist. So here is the announcement.

For all the people reading this thread I might be adding the ARP roleplaying mod thanks to theDog. I will include the mod in the mission as I just got permission to do so! Even better I already have some WIP scripts that allow you to eat, sleep, and drink or else you can die! Tell em what you guys think if I should incldue this mod.

For everybody watching this thread 0.52 will be coming out this week. The following will list the changes and fixes.

Items now spawn faster
Removed JSRS requirement
Intro text now is faster
More random camps
You now have to sleep, eat, and drink to survive
New sleeping function (Still WIP)
Units at pusta no longer spawn with lots of weapons
All units at the crashsite do not spawn with items and NVG's
Added theDogs ARP mod (Included, I got his permission to do so)

I am thinking about adding theDog's ARP mod to allow the use of food and water.

Edited by Starky396
Added more fixes and improvements

Starky396

For everybody watching this thread 0.52 will be coming out this week. The following will list the changes and fixes.

Code:

Items now spawn faster

Removed JSRS requirement

Intro text now is faster

More random camps

I am thinking about adding theDog's ARP mod to allow the use of food and water.

Great, looking forward to 0.52.

Just emailed foxhound the updated 0.52 version of Undead Chernarus. So it should be out in a couple of hours.