Sign in to follow this  
Soon2B 2nd LT

Many of you have horrible ideas

cool I'm not an arsehead. I never said anything about the island being too small. I wonder who he's talking about.

And there was me just starting to mellow out. Yes, I am British, though my father wasn't. As for anybody else who posts, The only thing I have in common with them is that I think you are wrong

Yes, there's a lot of things which could be added to the US, AND to the Soviet sides, for that matter. So what? It's a start for a game engine which is capable of more. Why not add basic nationality packages to use as a springboard for other things? BIS have stated that they may release an SDK when they see a memorable user campaign. Should it follow present U.S. military doctrine which is to dismantle a country's infrastructure and C3I before sending in ground troops? ####, sounds like you need fast movers and Buffs to me, sonny. Let's face it; If the States got such an ass-whupping as occurred in the early part of the Campaign (Never got very far with it, having too much fun figuring out how to create scenarios), Realistically, that is what Uncle Sam would be sending. If the Maldens are so strategically important, they wouldn't give ground like Somalia.

So where to go? Blast the Maldens to bedrock, or just wipe the slate clean and start from a completely new foundation?

Get the SDK released, then you have many people working on whatever they d*amned well please, including the gaps in the inventory you consider so important As for the explosive skateboard, I think that is called "Humour." You should try it some time.

Soon2B 2nd LT, please don't read my posts any more as I shall continue with horrible ideas.

Hmm... Mr Soon to be 2nt Lt? Did you ever stop... and consider that the USA is not the only country on the planet?

Did you ever stop to consider, that one of the reasons OFP is so good now, is the most of Europe guinea-pigged the game, for YOUR benefit? (That official aswell! - CM/BIS wanted to use the European release, to get feedback, so the US release would be up to scratch)

Did you ever stop to consider that someone who isn't American, who has completed the game and is wanting to create missions for their own enjoyment, would like to use troop from their own country?

I'm British. Why create a mission with US army vs USSR, when I can do 2 Para vs Argentine Army? Do I want SLRs? You bet your commission I do! Huh... none of this mamby-pamby 5.56mm crap!

Incidently, you talk about 'the campaign setting', well, if you create your own missions, they don't have to be part of the campaign setting. They just happen to be taking place on the same islands. What would be wrong with me creating an entire campaign that was Britain vs USSR... or Britain vs USA for that matter? Or how about US vs US?

Do you have your commission yet? Good luck. Soldier is now more dangerous than ever.

You all are straying from the original subject. More power to you if you want to create your own campaign with your nationality of choice, but understand that this game is the US vs Russia. If you want european weapons or stuff from argentina then you're looking in the wrong place. Those of us who enjoy the current parties involved don't like seeing people ask BIS to make things that have no part in the game. Go create a mod and add all the weapons you want to it. This isn't that game.

What the #### do you want me to say ScreamingWithNoIdeaWhatYou'reTalkingAbout? Thankyou Europe for testing my beloved game? That has nothing to do with the topic. Go away until you feel you can keep up.

Point is, we've paid for the game, so why shouldn't the devolpers give us a few things that we want?

The point I was trying to make, was that we have as much right to ask for a particular addition, irrespective of the actual campaign setting. After all, if the campaign didn't say US vs USSR, then it could quite easily have been something else. And don't even think about 'but the campaign setting is US vs USSR', because that the responce of a retart who isn't capable, or worse, willing to consider the point.

Contrary to popular opinion, the world doesn't revolve around the USA. (sorry)

"Do you have your commission yet? Good luck. Soldier is now more dangerous than ever."

I just noticed that. What the #### is that supposed to mean? How does me saying that many of your ideas are crap in any way mean that I'm a dangerous person or a poor leader. Stay on topic and make sense.

Hmm... analyse this phyc major.

I didn't say anything about you being a poor leader or being a dangerous person... not even to your self... but you managed to formulate those ideas alllll on your own.

Now *that's* interesting...

OK, I must admit, there was a typo there, should have read:

Soldiering is now more dangerous than ever.

Re - Soon to be billy LT

The hostility directed at you is, likely, not due to your utterances concerning the many dubious suggestions posted in this free forum.

The presumption of superiority implicit in your tone and explicit in your prose is quite enough to draw fire.

That aside I don't care a fig whether the addons supplied by BIS were in the US/Soviet arsenal in 1985 - the only thing fixed at '85 is the campaign game.

Regarding the many suggestions put forward here - BIS will, at their own discretion, adopt or ignore (no doubt mostly ignore).

NB - Your insistence on the 1985 US vs Sov scenario hints at a tendency to linear thought - aspiring junior leaders should be careful of that pitfall.

Good god people keep up. I've repeatedly said that I don't care about the 1985 timeline all that much. Hence my interest in the SAW which wasn't in the US arsenal in 85 either. The point of this arguement has been lost because you all keep straying from the main points.

I never said the WORLD revolved around the US. I have, on the other hand, implied that the GAME revolves around the US. If you're european and you bought it and are now dissapointed that it isn't based on european nationalities then I'm sorry you were irresponsible enough to buy a game that doesn't meet your expectations, even though it's clearly advertised as a US vs Russia game.

Critiquing me on a response to a statement that was written wrong in the first place doesn't work. I provide a sample for you.

"Do you like video games?" - me

"Yes" - ScreamingWithNoBrain

"Oh I meant to say, Are you gay? You said yes though so haha you're gay."

See? It just doesnt work. and you're off topic again.

Oh you're right. I suffer from linear thought sindrome and I'll be a poor military leader becuase I focus on the task at hand. You're way off topic too but kudos to you son. I don't need to and shouldn't have to prove my capabilities to you people.

Some folks are just tooo easy.

And Kid - you cannot prove anything about your capabilities here.

This thread has been interesting - looks about played out though.

Love the "you people" - has that quaint American feel.

AAAHHH!!!! General is being overrun by new members!

Interesting. I back off a little, and he gets more offensive. Tactical thinking by a psychology major? A bit obvious.

Okay Proto-Sh1tbar, Your argument is that in the context of the game, Anything which is not American is crap? What arrogance! Which is typical of your stance all the way thorugh this. “I’m more intelligent than the Average forum member?†I think you would be very easy to sucker into an ambush; you just wouldn’t believe anyone could out-think you. I hope your assessors spot this flaw before you get someone killed. And if I were you, I really would improve my literacy; The war won’t wait while you look for a socket to plug in your word-processor, and ambiguity can be fatal in real life. What did you mean; cretin, or were you trying to write creation? See my point? Professionals don’t have time to second-guess sloppiness.

Now, back to the original subject; It’s none of your d*amned business what other people ask BIS for. It could be very possible to revolve a campaign around a SINGLE addition, even something as basic as a non-American or Soviet rifle.

If you can add nothing creative yourself don’t try to criticise those who are willing to try.

Guest Scooby

I'm from Finland and I'm saying that before adding eye candy into game (whit what I mean forces from other countries) BIS should first do existing two countries even somewhat properly.

I've written many long posts about what should be fixed and added. Not going to write one here.

How OFP is at the moment, even if it would support bigger amounts of players it wouldnt offer even somewhat realistic gameplay because of missing or in incorrect way done features.

Sad but true.

Good points, well put Scooby. Excatly the same points as the Proto- Sh1tbar, but without the arrogance.

If you are talking about issues with the code rather than new units, I think it's very unlikley that the same people will be doing the modelling as are doing the coding, so in theory BIS could be doing both. Of course there is the matter of rescource allocation by the company (The staff could be working on other projects), but as far as I can see, the coding staff will be working on fixing bugs anyway.

Of course, if BIS would release the SDK, they wouldn't have to bother with further add-ons. ####, I'd be willing to PAY for a graphics/model editor which would work with OFP.

As I said earlier, a lot of garbage would result, but so would some gems. You just have to look at what has been achieved with other games (I'm talking top-end flight simulators, not fragfests) to see what could be achieved.

In the meantime, as far as I'm concerned everyone has a perfect right to request whatever addon they wish, including exploding skateboards.

I also recognise BIS's right to ignore everyone, and do what they think is right for them and us, in that order,to take this game forward. because if BIS goes down the tubes, it may well mean the end of development of OFP.

True. but you'll note that the name of the game is Operation Flashpoint, not Operation Flashpoint 1985. If you look in the campaign folder of OFP, there is one single file there, titled 1985.

The file is locked, you can't add to it, not even the addons which are appropriate to that year. So what is this fixation with 1985???

Why shouldn't somebody take the G36, and all the other hardware which didn't exist in '85, make a new campaign and call it 1990?

Here, here! Loose this fixation with 1985.

Loose the fixation with US vs USSR.

Make the requests, because there WILL BE a Flashpoint 2.

Maybe there'll be a Flashpoint 2: Europe and a Flashpoint 2: USA - same missions, just different looking guns and uniforms, because, ultimately, that's all we're talking about. Whats the difference, between the Steyr Aug, FAMas and SA80? Looks, reliability. All capable of firing full auto. Maybe the FAMas doesn't come with a scope, but the Steyr and (most) SA80s come with one. So what's the fuss? The fuss is, there's a difference between a Red Devil with an M16 or Steyr and one with an SA80. What? It _feels_ right.

####, come to think of it, I'd LOVE to play a campaign based around a different nation! Even Germany (5-1, 5-1, 5-1, 5-1...) Sorry, just couldn't resist that. smile.gif Why? Because it's different. Oh yeah... there's gonna be Red Hammer, isn't there? And you get to go around slaughtering Yanks... I can't wait!

right neutral brit stepping in here , soon to be lt you got a point about the game, but then so have the others about what changes addons etc

the game is set as a person in a american platoon squad, however as ScreamingWithNoSound has a point if and most proberlery when opfor 2 does come out , it going to use mods and addons from the original as a giude for construction of the second, what ever addon etc is brought out is and should be made so that the gamer has the option of adding on or keeping the original concept of the game, it up to the gamer what he wants to do as im sure you will agree, so what ever is done to add or what ever is up to what ever any one wants to do with thier copy

this is said not as argument but as statemet if that makes any sence ( ok i think i better put the vodka down)

To the presumed ROTC grad.

Being that you are in fact fine 2nd Loot material,

(As in you're arrogant and have your head firmly up your third point of contact)

Let me grant you what to this grunt would be considered a massive boon, I'm gonna let you in on a grand secret.

Your opinion is as valid as any dogturd, The mere fact that someone with all the right qualifications to be a pompous ass objects to anything serves to validate it, rather than discredit.

Now before you dig out your Roget's to compose a scathing riposte, let me forestall your vain effort by adding that I in fact, merely posted in order to enjoy my favorite game, which is pulling aside the Bar to reveal the jackass underneath, and I could care less for the whinings of a ROTC OCS candidate wannabe, with no time in service,no time in grade, and not enough military sense to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

Christ Boy, I've recycled morons in BT with more on the ball than you.

Go away before you embarrass the US military.

although im supposed to be neutral in this thread ive just read the above and find it very funny , very creative

couldnt have done better myself

oh wardog , you are right about the addon campaign idea, EVERON THE RETURN , THIS TIME ITS PERSONAL

coming to computers near you when its made it could be set in 1990 , and gave other things eg Gulf, bosnia, kosovo as campaigns later on , like the histery of a war eg 1990 - 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from ScreamingWithNoSound on 9:17 pm on Nov. 23, 2001

Here, here! Loose this fixation with 1985.

Loose the fixation with US vs USSR.

Make the requests, because there WILL BE a Flashpoint 2.

<span id='postcolor'>

I support any developement that is more modern than 1985.

How ever I have the highest regard for Bohemia Interactive people who have made this game based on their _very_ personal likes and experiences, obviously this is in order for them to provide the best product.

Whenever someone suggests a total dumping of 1985, without prudence towards BIS’ work, then that's a problem for any objective OFP user.

Not advocating dumping it FOPFSP... whatever smile.gif What I'm saying is we shouldn't be limited by it. The fact that BIS brought out the addons for a later times seems to me to indicate that they believe so, too.

Thank you pzvg, that has to be one of the most down-to-earth, free-speaking, statement-of-truth's that I've heard in a long time. You have more than undone the damage done to my (already low) opinion of US servicemen by Soon2bes attitude... ####, I'd even let you into the British Army wink.gif

As Wardog said, I'm NOT advocating the total dumping of the 1985 setting. What I _was_ advocating, was Soon2be dumping HIS fixation on 1985 and US vs USSR.