Sign in to follow this  
Soon2B 2nd LT

Many of you have horrible ideas

I'm sick of reading all of these posts asking for more assault rifles, more tanks, or harrier jets, or aircraft carriers. Basic infantry units don't go running around with 6 different assault rifles. Even SF units use an m16/m4 variant. Not some random assault rifle you all want to see in the game. Like a famas or a g36.

This game was made to be a realistic military sim. I hope all of you creatons out there don't go and ruin it with your crappy ideas.

Thanks for the dose of Reality.

Do I take it twice a-day before meals or after?

I think that BIS is done with addon vehicles for the regular OFP. They might be adding some in expantion packs later. They already said that 3 packs will be released ,and thats it (which they've done already).

It would actually come as a bit of a shock if they are generous to us and release some more things for free.

But I really hope that they start moving in the free tools that will allow skilled modders to finish their long awaited projects. Focus BIS.

I said to myself I wouldn't get involved in most of the backbiting bullsh1t that goes on in this forum, but to be insulted by an idiot that can't even spell Cretin is the last straw.

Look sonny, the G36 is used by the present-day Bundeswehr. You know what? Somebody has already skinned German troops. This opens up the possibility of a campaign based around German characters. Know what? It doesn't even have to be based in 1985. The FAMAS is used by the French Foreign Legion, The Steyr used by Australia, etc. You see a pattern beginning to develop? The same goes for Armour, Aircraft, whatever.

Some people out there think that some items are inappropriate for the game, and so scream their heads off when somebody dares to venture the opinion that a basic transport aircraft should be added. Personally, if the SDK is ever released, if somebody wants to go to the trouble make a model of the U.S.S New Jersey, BLOODY GOOD FOR THEM! You never know, they may even produce a mission into which it fits perfectly into context. That’s their business, not the business of some unimaginative pratt that that can’t use a paint program without taking paracetomol.

I love this game, and I can only see it getting better and better. Wake up or shut up boy. The people who do and will create addons for Operation Flashpoint now and in the future will not be hamstrung by your lack of imagination. There are downloads out there that I use, and there are downloads out there I don’t. I’m happy to have the choice.

Now crawl back under your rock.

Over and out.

Yes the game was made to be a military sim so why shouldn't you be able to use the kit hat you want? I'm sure a sniper would pick out a sniper rifle and not just go with the pistol because it happened to be sitting there next to him. He'd get up and go over to the lovely long ranged beuty sitting across the room.

I'm still waiting for my Ewok Resistance fighters.  They'll make some crazy s**t contracptions to destroy a T-80 tank with logs or rocks.  Or they'll use a stone and a sling to take out a Machine Gunner from like 300m away.  Or how about the Ewok Air Force, a hang-glider that drops 5 pound rocks on tanks.

ewok-transparent.gifmovie_bg.jpg

I want my Ewoks!

-=Die Alive=-

I probably could reskin some resistance guys, but then they'll be 6 foot tall ewoks (another 2 feet and they'll be Wookies).  I need 3 to 4 foot ewoks, with short stubby legs and spears and slings.  One day, I'll get my Ewoks, you just wait and see, they'll live in the forest of Evron, and sing and dance all night in their happy tree houses.

-=Die Alive=-

You'll pardon me if I don't join you? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Soon2B 2nd LT on 5:24 am on Nov. 22, 2001

I'm sick of reading all of these posts asking for more assault rifles, more tanks, or harrier jets, or aircraft carriers.  Basic infantry units don't go running around with 6 different assault rifles.  Even SF units use an m16/m4 variant.  Not some random assault rifle you all want to see in the game.  Like a famas or a g36.

This game was made to be a realistic military sim.  I hope all of you creatons out there don't go and ruin it with your crappy ideas.

<span id='postcolor'>

I agree 100%

I'm a psyc major, not an english major. I have don't have the best spelling skills. Thats why you write memorandums up on a word processor.

Anyway I like how you used the word "boy" to belittle me but I'm not easily offended. The point is son, despite what your elementary school teachers told you, there is a such thing as bad ideas, and this forum is abundant with them.

And who the #### are you to say what is bad, you pompous wanker?

Lets jus say that if NATO, or the US army in OFP's case actually went to war w/ Russia then would they have a choice of all these luvly weapons to play with or would they have a few german guns & all that bs. I know people wanted these guns but its a shame the game had to be changed from the 1985 era to a 1990's one.. But that also means the game can now be expanded to the more modern equiptment.. Just remember if yer going to war all the usual troops would carry an M16 or something only the special forces would have their own choice of weapon.

The US would go to war with M16A2, The British with L85, The Germans with G36, The Australians with AUG, The French would send the Foreign Legion with FAMAS. In a formal campaign, who would give members of the same unite disparate weaponry? However, troops of different nationalities WOULD use appropriate equipment. one idea for a scenario, without even really thinking:

US troops are providing perimeter security for an airbase while British relief forces are flown in by C130. Opforces are on the way in, and the Brits will be needed to provide a solid defence. Intel discovers that a local warlord has learned of the incoming flight, and has ordered a couple of AAM units into position along the aircraft’s flightpath. These units must be neutralised before they down the aircraft and destroy any chance of effective defence against numerically superior enemy forces.

Sure, you could play the same with a Chinook or two, but in fact it would be more accurate to use the Hercs. Troops would be far more likely to arrive in country in a strategic transport than a large helicopter.

Thats a lovely scenario and all but the fact is that, as of right now, this is based on the US military and all of those various assault rifles have no place in it as of yet. I may be a "pompous wanker", as you so kindly put it, but I'm also more intelligent and have more common sense than many of the other forum participants seem to have. That's why I feel justified, even obligated, to tell them that their ideas are poor. These are probably many of the same people who keep all the "talented" pop bands at the top of the charts and who actually pay to see movies like Black Night but think movies like HEAT are too long and lack excitement. That was somewhat off topic and leaves me open to huge flames, most likely from wardog, but what I'm saying is that people in general are morons and their ideas aren't worth consideration. Think before you speak people.

"Think before you speak." Good advice.

Flamed by me? Well, if I must...

If you are so bloody intelligent, how come you can't see that without the addons for different nationalities, those campaigns will never be written? A beginner produces something that is admittedly a piece of crap, a sh1thead like you shoots him down and he never tries again, when all he really needed was constructive criticism a little more practice to one day produce something which may become a classic.

And you are a Psych major? if you ever take it forward, I can only sympathise with the area where you work; I can see the suicide rate tripling straight away.

Is this the technique your tutor uses, or are you just naturally unpleasant?

No I will most likely not be persuing a career in psychology. My name isn't just a random one. I actually am in the process of earning a commission in the US army as a Second LT. Scary perhaps but true.

Anyway to get back on topic. As I said before, as of right now those weapons don't fit into the storyline. If someone makes a campaign for the other nationalities then by all means add in the appropriate assault rifles. But there is no point in asking BIS to add them with the current product. Which is a great product I'd like to add.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Soon2B 2nd LT on 10:58 pm on Nov. 22, 2001

Anyway to get back on topic.  As I said before, as of right now those weapons don't fit into the storyline.  If someone makes a campaign for the other nationalities then by all means add in the appropriate assault rifles.  But there is no point in asking BIS to add them with the current product.  like to add.<span id='postcolor'>

Okay, soon to be Brownbar (screw it, I can't stay mad for that long) what would you think of a new campaign which involved Multinational forces, but used only the weapons origially given? I'm sure it would rank alongside such classics as "Patton" and "The Battle of the Bulge," where you only have to see the "Tigers" once to kick crediblity out of the window. Would that rate as a crappy idea? Try building anything without bricks, see how far you get. Sure, a load of dross will appear until proper user development tools become available. but dampening enthusiasm for creation of mods is shooting the horse before its lost the race.

At the end of the day, you have a choice; don't use the kit, and don't bother with games which use mods you don't like. If Die Alive is serious about wanting Ewoks for god's sake, good for him. I won't be joining a game where I play as or against small irritating furry critters, but that's my choice. Personally, I'd really like to see the Stoner LMG that was used by your SEALS; Weapon with 100 round box weighing 12 lbs. Maybe when DA, or somebody like him has finished machinegunning teddybears, he'll make one.

Think about it.

So what your saying is.. that we make campaigns and then beg for the release of the guns? Nothing said these missions had to take place in 1985...

A OFP total arsehead is identified by two factors.

1) The specimen suggests everything is too small for the default islands.

2) The specimen suggests that all and every addon mission must be set in 1985 during the Capitalist pig/Communist pig war.

(Edited by fixOPFsoundsplease at 2:56 am on Nov. 23, 2001)

haha another one called me wanker. You brits kill me. Or at least you tits trying to sound like brits.

No they don't have to take place in 1985 but the fact still is that this is a US vs Russia game and those weapons don't belong in it. Maybe all of you trying to make these other nationality campaigns should be the ones sucking it up and realizing that it may be out of your reach with this game. I personally am pleased with the current nations involved and I'd rather see addons that pertain to them rather than random crap that many people keep suggesting.

For example, forget this Famas and sa80 stuff and add an m249 SAW and claymores and what not. There are many things that BIS could add that would fit far better than random assault rifles and explosive skateboards. But i won't even get started on that topic.