Sign in to follow this  
sagehorn

Shorten the night.. (e.g. 1 hour)

Hi folks

Is there a command for shorting the night to one hour (e.g.). I read about the "swedish midsummer" night in seperate forums.. ;)

Another question: Is it possible to activate the time-boost button in Multiplayer?

thx

Edited by Sagehorn

Are you running many 24 hour long ops? :)

skipTime will come in handy, it works in MP as well if you run it on all clients.

my vision is creating a coop mission that takes more than.. hm, maybe 6 hours. so you have to save etc..

i'm not very long in this materia, but: is it possible at all to save/load in mp? ;)

another idea would be, that you can sleep, to heal yourself

i'm working on that mission for mso..

but i fear, skiptime won't be a solution for this ;)

(..except, there is no other way)

Edited by Sagehorn

Saving, especially in multiplayer, is... ill advised. There is that ArmA2 persistent database thing that might help though. Never tried it however, we've always just played through the full 6 hours. :)

hehe.. yes, but i like the idea of accepting that there is another day :D

and yes, i know about that persistent database. thats why i intuitively have chosen mso, which uses it (partly)..

A friend told me that you an play the ARMA2 SP Campaign in Coop with saving, is that true?

The original ArmA2 campaign, yes. OA's too I think but only hosted? After that however BIS discovered all the problems with co-op campaigns and gave up on it entirely.

If you're making the mission for clan purposes, you have the option of supplying an addon that moves your island of choice to whatever latitude you want. Latitude have great effect on sun altitude during the year, leaving you endless options. Suns altitude and "sunset speed" are the only observable effects of doing this, afaik at least.

Just a thought: What about having a script doing small skipTime during the night with 30 seconds (or even less) in between? Would a player notice the workaround? You maybe would like to hide the moon of course...

@CarlGustaffa: Ah, i see. So, maybe I can get the effect i want with some astronomical server-commands or is there actually a special addon? ;)

Play the mission on Thirsk during July. That map is around 68 deg latitude I think, and the sun never fully sets. The settings are built into the map configs.

You'd have to use an addon. Remember it only moves your latitude, with fully normal effects on day lengths. The following one (in addon config.cpp format) moves Takistan to Orkney Islands (lat 62°N), a few degrees south of the arctic circle:

class CfgPatches
{
class gridfix
{
	units[]=
	{
		"gridfix"
	};
	requiredVersion=1.040000;
	requiredAddons[]=
	{
		"takistan"
	};
};
};
class CfgWorlds
{
class DefaultWorld
{
	class Weather;
	{
		class Overcast
		{
			class Weather1;
			class Weather2;
			class Weather3;
			class Weather4;
			class Weather5;
		};
	};
};
class CAWorld: DefaultWorld
{
	gridNumbersOverLines=1;
	class Grid
	{
	};
	class DayLightingBrightAlmost;
	class DayLightingRainy;
	class DefaultClutter;
	class Weather: Weather
	{
		class Lighting;
	};
};
class DefaultLighting;
class takistan: CAWorld
{
	gridNumbersOverLines=1;
	longitude=-6.75; //Moves Takistan to Torshavn capitol of Orkney Islands.
	latitude=-62; //Just to test how lighting engine works south of polar circle.
	class Grid: Grid 
	{
		offsetX=-41000;
		offsetY=-52000;
		class Zoom1
		{
			zoomMax=0.150000;
			format="XY";
			formatX="000";
			formatY="000";
			stepX=100;
			stepY=-100;
		};
		class Zoom2
		{
			zoomMax=0.850000;
			format="XY";
			formatX="00";
			formatY="00";
			stepX=1000;
			stepY=-1000;
		};
		class Zoom3
		{
			zoomMax=1000000015047466200000000000000.000000;
			format="XY";
			formatX="0";
			formatY="0";
			stepX=10000;
			stepY=-10000;
		};
	};
};
};

Keep in mind Arma3 will happen in the Mediterranean, closer to the equator, so sunset speeds will be more constant throughout the year, as will day and night be even more equally divided. I don't know if this old thing work anymore, haven't tried it in ages. If it works, for fun, you could try to use positive latitude (70-80°?), which (only in Arma) takes you to the southern hemisphere - navigating by stars suddenly ain't that easy anymore :D