Sign in to follow this  
mycatsaid

Is there a way to set Texture detail and Video Memory apart?

As the title says.

I'd like to run the game with Normal video memory and Texture Details as very high. But the game is locked to have them both set the same. Is there anywhere I can edit a config to edit these settings that way? Not sure I can find them in the armaoa.cfg.

Thanks.

well I think they´re linked for a reason,

but you can change those settings in your profile...

My guess is, with Video Memory set below a certain level, you are not able to utilize enough VRAM to run the higher-detail textures.

How much VRAM do you have? Why not run the game with Video Memory at Default?

My guess is, with Video Memory set below a certain level, you are not able to utilize enough VRAM to run the higher-detail textures.

How much VRAM do you have? Why not run the game with Video Memory at Default?

I have tried it as default and the fps drops to a solid 18-20fps. Doesn't seem to work as people claim it does.

Settings

texture detail: vhigh

video memory: vhigh

AF: vhigh

AA: high

ATOC: disabled

Terrian detail: high

Object detail: high

Shadow detail: vhigh

HDR quality: normal

PPAA: disabled

Postprocess: high

Vsync: off

It is mostly fine but sometimes causes big lag spikes and the game flickers white sometimes. Not sure if it is an ATI issue or game lighting.

My PC specs are

ATI HD5970

i7 920

Corsair 6GB

Windows 7 64-bit.

in my experience, it depends on video card. For example with my previous asus directCuii ati 6970, i had trouble runing game with default vram. I had 10fps no matter where. But with very high vram, it was fine. Then it got damaged and i got XFX ati 6970 instead. Now im playing with default vram and smooth performance. I did try various drivers for my asus directCUII, but nothing helped.

in my experience, it depends on video card. For example with my previous asus directCuii ati 6970, i had trouble runing game with default vram. I had 10fps no matter where. But with very high vram, it was fine. Then it got damaged and i got XFX ati 6970 instead. Now im playing with default vram and smooth performance. I did try various drivers for my asus directCUII, but nothing helped.

I'm in the same boat atm. Thinking of selling my 5970. Dual cards are not worth the effort really. It has been good for 3 years but might be time to go back to single. ATI drivers ain't working that good for dual cards mind.

for that, ive heard, nvidias are fine in SLI, compared to AMD. But i think with single ATI 7970, you should be more then happy. :)

use Default instead Normal then You can change the texture detail ...

please notice there was several fixes for VRAM detection since 1.60, so now it behaves better

also there is -maxVRAM= commandline parameter: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters#Performance

I see. I will try that maxVRAM. But as Funker says above. I get the same experience with 20 fps when I select default. But will try the command line.

i guess you mean something like "localVRAM=xxx"[onboard memory in bytes] and "nonlocalVRAM=xxx"[GART/IOMMU texture memory],respectively in you [located in you "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\ArmA 2" path in Vista/Win7 case] Arma2.cfg ?

Arma2 properly detect 1st only on Nvidia in my experience and always[regardless memory available] set up for [slightly less than]512 Mb

latest setting i suggest set to moderate, cuz both system and Arma2, need space for breathing.

in my case it mean 2 Gb and 4Gb respectively.

p.s.

put RO attribute on file.

Well what would you recommend I set localVRAM as? I have tried that before and had no success in stabilisation.

Well what would you recommend I set localVRAM as? I have tried that before and had no success in stabilisation.

get you GPU onboard memory size in megabytes, subtract about 20% from it[to frame buffer and z-space] then multiply it on 1024 and then again on 1024.

for example if you have 3Gb[3072Mb] you can try use 2457*1024*1024=2576351232 bytes.

don't forget to set file to read-only state/attribute[in file "properties" dialogue], after editing and saving.

good luck !!

Edited by BasileyOne

Thanks will give it a try.

Sadly still hates been set as default and did your equation and set them as 1728053248.

Still the same as ever. I think it is time to ditch this card and get a new single GPU card. Might even have to go to Nvidia on this one.

Edited by mycatsaid