Sign in to follow this  
colosseum

Problem loading the beta patch onto a rented dedi server

Hi all,

I've recently bought an A2CO server from NFOServers. Great server, great hosting, great provider, et al. Very responsive to my requests.

However: with the latest beta patch enabled on all our client computers, we can no longer connect to our server. It shows a red "X" and on connecting, tells us "connecting failed". The server info shows the "Version" as "1.60", and our clients all read 1.60 as well, but the server version is marked in red. My line of thinking was that this was beta patch related, so we all disabled the beta patch on clients and rejoined. Within a couple of minutes we were all kicked out due to BattlEye clients not responding (or corrupted memory, can't remember). Either way, I'd like to be able to play with the beta as it enables some nice features (magazine ammo count bar foremost).

Does anyone know if it's possible to run the beta on a rented server? I looked at the batch file my Six Updater generates to run a beta-enabled preset on my machine and it looks like it starts arma2oa.exe from a different location. My provider has told me that running a different .exe is not possible with their service.

Trouble is that the server I pay $50/mo for is now useless unless I can get this figured out. I was under the impression that clients could play on a non-beta server if they had the beta enabled but I am not sure.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate any help or advice.

Ian

Latest beta is 1.61 - incompatible to 1.60 (betas). Search the forum for more info.

I am having exactly the same problem here. I have not been able to figure it out. Vanilla we can connect but once we try loading the expansion we can not connect. Even with the modline supposedly loading the expansion via:

arma2;expansion;ca;

I copied the expansion folder directly from my six updater install as well.

I run 1.60 on my NFO server without betas, and have no issues.

suggest waiting til the 1.61 offical patch version is actually released and then have NFO update the server with the new patch, as they wont do betas,

if you want to setup betas, then like on your computer you would have to set it up on the ftp, but all in all you have to have the same version as the server.

That's the weirdest thing -- up until yesterday, we had ZERO problems connecting with the beta enabled on clients with the server running non-beta 1.60. When we run the server without the beta enabled on our clients, some of us get kicked out for BattlEye corrupted memory/not responding. Is this something that will go away if we reconnect? I admit we never tried.

The worst part is that, when troubleshooting, the only results I get are how to install DayZ with the beta patch! So frustrating.

You were really able to connect? My group wasn't able to connect at all. I hear ya on the troubleshooting, in the same boat. I talked with support a little more and it seems like the beta isn't really supported by them. From what I gathered you need to get a VDS from them to run the beta. I am trying to decide now if their VDS packages will handle Arma 2.

If battleye is kicking you, and its just your group connecting/playing, why no just disable battleye in the server.cfg and lock the server.

Great idea! We're a closed group on a private server. I didn't know you could disable BattlEye.

@GR7: We were ONLY able to connect when all our clients had disabled the beta patch through Six Updater. When we did that, we could join just fine, but BattlEye kicked some of us off. NFO Support gave me the same answer; if I wanted to run the beta, I'd basically need a VDS, and they're not cost-effective for what we do. If the BattlEye workaround doesn't work for us, I think I'm going to migrate our group to JestServers as they offer a much more ArmA2-oriented service. The only downside is that they cost $89/mo for just the server, vs. $39/mo for the server and a TS3 server, which I really enjoy. Jest offers Six Updater support and beta patching, though, which is a definite plus.

Having to manually upload mod files to our server through FTP is pretty miserable, especially since there's no such thing as a good upload speed in the United States from my experience.

Could you further explain why it isn't cost effective? Just wondering cause we seem to be in the same boat. Don't want to get something that wont work of course.

We're a closed group on a private server. I didn't know you could disable BattlEye.

In the cfg folder go to the server.cfg and find this code

[b]BattlEye=1; [/b]	Enables or disables the BattlEye anti-cheat engine. Default 0.

The only downside is that they cost $89/mo for just the server, vs. $39/mo for the server and a TS3 server, which I really enjoy.

Jest offers Six Updater support and beta patching, though, which is a definite plus.

Well if you think about it your getting what you pay for, as it cost more to run and support those other features.

so it is cost effective as NFO servers dont support those features at at least not for the Arma series.

My buddy and my server only cost use $10/month for 4 slots/private were just a few friends that get together and play but neither of us use 6updater or

betas so its works best for us. but for several guys like you in a group,

if everyone or at least some donate to the server you should be able to afford it.

Could you further explain why it isn't cost effective? Just wondering cause we seem to be in the same boat. Don't want to get something that wont work of course.

Just some background, there's usually 3-10 of us, max of ten, never had more than that and don't foresee that in the future. We play with ACE/ACRE, and a few other mods (Lingor/Duala etc).

I pay $39/mo for a server and a TS3 server. NFO's VDS is $79.99/mo. If I was going to pay that much, I'd just go with JestServers (at $89/mo) as they offer beta patching and Six Updater.

After work tonight, I'm going to disable battleye and have everyone connect without the beta to see if it works.

Can confirm that disabling BattlEye solved our problem.

Good deal, considering you have the server locked, no point on having it unless one of the boys decides to play some tricks on ya.

But I do the same for my server, I also disabled the verify signatures too.