Sign in to follow this  
AlexVestin

(RTT related) Blue force tracker/GPS?

I know the basic funtion of "render to texture (RTT)", and that is it able to in realtime render something like the view from an external camera on a vehicle.

Could the current engine somehow render a players map/GPS the same way to a rtt screen?

Is the ArmA map in the slightest rendered the same way?

example of a blue force tracker inside of a hmmwv:

bft1.jpg

Could the current engine somehow render a players map/GPS the same way to a rtt screen?

in theory yes, although i haven't check it myself using tkoh engine.

Is the ArmA map in the slightest rendered the same way?

no

GPS of sorts are already possible, however a moving map generally isn't, which can lead to problems for a large one. We probably could place a RTT camera high above the vehicle and connect it to the viewing camera inside the vehicle, so you get a top down view.

In takeOn helicopters this is not yet possible, while it supports RTT(PIP) you can only use a "camera" object, not a dialog interface.

It would be great if available in Arma 3.

in Cryengine 2/3 is possible to put, instead of textures, a swf file with action script 2/3 on the objects like PC, hud etc .

maybe will be possible the same way with Java in RV

Edited by Zukov

I really hope that RTT has sources other than the camera... Otherwise its a rather gimmicky system with little practical use beyond things like mirrors or very basic camera views...

Well what would you use it for? It's essentially used to render a scene without an object, mirror and cameras are generally what RTT is all about.

Overlays for rendered textures. Iirc the AH-64 D Block III can receive video from a UAV. You could display that stream onto the MFD with the proper overlay.

Or situational awareness aids for rear view cameras fe.

Well what would you use it for? It's essentially used to render a scene without an object, mirror and cameras are generally what RTT is all about.

So many things actually...

One simple example would be the possibility to render a the map within a vehicle monitor, and so on...

Depending on how far they go with RTT, I would like to see the player avatar do an animation of grabbing the map from his pouch to his hands and looking at it while not leaving the default view. That would make it easier to just quickly glimpse at some terrain and move the avatar head up to check if your going the right direction. It doesnt need to be fancy, just RTT of the map view as is would be a great feature.

You don't need RTT for that, just an animation and object with the map textured to it. If it can be done on aircraft digital displays then I have no doubt that it can be done with infantry somehow.

You don't need RTT for that, just an animation and object with the map textured to it. If it can be done on aircraft digital displays then I have no doubt that it can be done with infantry somehow.

Can you please show me an example?

What you are saying is a static texture, not a Dialog Interface, where you have User Interactible Interface.

Oh interactable..well there was one video, I'm looking for it and will post if I find it again but there was one huge problem in that it sent all controls to the dialogue, which included thrust/collective, so aircraft would slow down and helicopters just plummet.

There is also this, but I'm not at all familiar with mando's missiles addon, and I'm assuming that is the CPG seat which has no bearing on flight control

Edited by NodUnit

Yes NodUnit, that is a good example, now imagine if you would be able to use that same Interface, but without leaving your body, and all that, within a monitor inside a vehicle. :)

As a pilot who crashes into trees more often than he should due to checking the map..I'd rather not since I just got out of the shower, rather not void it ;)

Currently making MFD in aircraft is a pain in the butt (as im sure you know NodUnit). A lot of the work has to be done in the model itself with textures, instead of giving the programmer the ability to create textures progmatically with say the normal dialog controls. This allows models to basically work like they would in real life, strictly being the hardware to display anything, while the software does the actual content.

if you know the postion you want to look at you can always load the Sat map onto a panel , its a simple calculation of the x and z to know which 000_000_lco (seing as these tectures are already loaded its simple Format script so not much lag) to load onto the panel .

i tried something in a hmmwv where i hid a setobjecture panel in the boot and made a camera look at it and use the above calc , then animated somethings on a RTT screen that showed the map . was good fun but too much to achieve what i wanted. (this was in TOH btw)