Sign in to follow this  
Mattressi

PMC barricades can't be destroyed

I'm playing with the latest beta patch and ACE mod (with all of the optional parts too). I'm doing the mission where you need to detonate the barricades. I've placed satchel charges on a barricade (I've tried placing 1, 2 , 3 and 4) and detonated the charge(s), but nothing happens to the barricade. When I had 4 satchels placed, I actually blew up a nearby wall, but the barricade still didn't have a scratch on it. Any idea how I can fix this or if I'm doing something wrong. Also, I tried placing them on both sides of the barricade.

Another quick question: how the hell do I disarm the IED without getting close to it?? I've tried shooting it, I've thrown a grenade right on it, which exploded right on it, tried throwing smokes on it. Nothing has worked, except walking up to it, which magically detonates it (despite the concussion of a grenade not doing that...). There are no bad guys left around the whole place. What do I do?

It's best to run official campaigns and missions without ACE and other game-changing mods, as it changes too many things. There are user-made campaigns that are ACE compatible. For better experience the campaigns can probably be played with just cosmetic mods like WarFX and JSRS, some maybe with ASR_AI or similar (but if you encounter any campaign bugs it's probably because of the campaign not being compatible with the mod, even the AI mod like ASR_AI can have influence on how the campaign plays out).

Oh, ok then. I just assumed that ACE was compatible with the campaigns. I'll take it off then and see what happens. Thanks :)

Also, is there a way to find ACE-compatible campaigns/scenarios? I tried searching on armaholic, but I've only been able to manually search for it. Not sure if there's a better way. All I've been able to find that's compatible with ACE is the Thursk set of scenarios.

There are a lot of campaigns that are compatible with ACE. The SEAL Team Six ones, the Forgotten Few campaign, and a whole lot of others. However, the BI campaigns often don't work too well with ACE; if you're having trouble, try again without any mods.

I'm playing with the latest beta patch and ACE mod (with all of the optional parts too). I'm doing the mission where you need to detonate the barricades. I've placed satchel charges on a barricade (I've tried placing 1, 2 , 3 and 4) and detonated the charge(s), but nothing happens to the barricade. When I had 4 satchels placed, I actually blew up a nearby wall, but the barricade still didn't have a scratch on it. Any idea how I can fix this or if I'm doing something wrong. Also, I tried placing them on both sides of the barricade.

Another quick question: how the hell do I disarm the IED without getting close to it?? I've tried shooting it, I've thrown a grenade right on it, which exploded right on it, tried throwing smokes on it. Nothing has worked, except walking up to it, which magically detonates it (despite the concussion of a grenade not doing that...). There are no bad guys left around the whole place. What do I do?

This has already been discussed and could have been found with searching simply PMC + barricade keywords.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?118079-PMC-Mission-3-Confirmation-help

ACE is not compatible with official missions and never will be, since in official missions are made and tested without it. Satchel use has been developed further in ACE so there is no way to make that feature work with original Arma 2 satchel use. It is not the fault of mission designers. It is just a fault of missing information that ACE is not recommended to be used everywhere not only because of compatibility but also because it may make things just too easy considering what the mission maker wanted the difficulty to be.

There are a lot of campaigns that are compatible with ACE. The SEAL Team Six ones, the Forgotten Few campaign, and a whole lot of others. However, the BI campaigns often don't work too well with ACE; if you're having trouble, try again without any mods.

I've got the Forgotten Few and I'm loving it so far. I'll check out SEAL Team Six too.

This has already been discussed and could have been found with searching simply PMC + barricade keywords.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?118079-PMC-Mission-3-Confirmation-help

I searched for "PMC ACE barricades" and got nothing. Guess I should have tried without ACE too.

ACE is not compatible with official missions and never will be, since in official missions are made and tested without it. Satchel use has been developed further in ACE so there is no way to make that feature work with original Arma 2 satchel use. It is not the fault of mission designers. It is just a fault of missing information that ACE is not recommended to be used everywhere not only because of compatibility but also because it may make things just too easy considering what the mission maker wanted the difficulty to be.

I'm not complaining or saying it's the fault of the mission designers (or ACE designers or anything); I was just wondering what was up. Thanks for letting me know.

This is like the 800th thread about problems regarding official mission play with ACE and other mods. Why doesn't a moderator sticky a thread that says not to use mods with official missions? :p

This is like the 800th thread about problems regarding official mission play with ACE and other mods. Why doesn't a moderator sticky a thread that says not to use mods with official missions? :p

Hi OMAC

A blanket 'warning off' would not be appropriate. There are mods that work perfectly well with official missions & campaigns and in fact make them better. An example is Zipper5's essential zp5_at_fix. one of the first mods I installed after getting repeatedly zapped by armour after my AT grunts used all their rockets on individual enemy foot-soldiers. Another is Gibson's Copy_myStance. which makes your AI team actually do it (unlike the defective stock command. Pity BIS didn't actually fix it rather than just renaming it from "Keep Low").

Yes, there should be some sort of sticky with some basic guidance for new players (I might well write a guide when I get time), but your suggestion is just too sweeping.

BR

Orcinus

Hi Orcinus,

Perhaps a sticky giving a general warning about mod use and a suggestion that users disable mods temporarily to diagnose encountered strangeness, and then a list of mods that have been proven to not cause problems with official missions? Or a list of mods that DO cause problems (e.g. ACE)? I'm sure BIS has already thought of this, but hasn't felt it necessary to say anything about it for some reason.

Cheers,

OMAC

I'm thinking about producing a more general guide for new players. There's a huge amount of information here, but there's a lot of really useful posts that don't necessarily show up even using Google and the like; and new players may not even know what search terms to enter anyway. For example, why should a complete newcomer be expected to know that posts on squad formation might have answers the frequent questions about getting your squad to move fast? Hell, a couple of posts I've seen recently indicate that at least some long-standing members don't know it.

Agree about ACE, also GL4 and other mods that change waypoints - great mods though ACE & GL4 are, they will break many official & user missions.

I would be wary of adding a list of 'proven' mods - changes to the engine, etc., mean that some mods may perform aberrantly until/unless updated. Should be limited to a small number of actively supported mods that improve gameplay significantly, like the couple I cited.

Cheers

Orcinus