Sign in to follow this  
Kirowan

Sound mods

Can anyone recommend a sound mod? I've looked for Aaron Ash's but I couldn't find it. Is that a pretty good one?

Search for the Dynamic Range (made by Satchel) Sound addon. Compared with Wright's Soundaddon (made by Wright I assume) it performes better (at least thats what I think). From Aaron Ash's soundaddon I have'nt heard yet.

PSC

Thanks all. Do you use any sound mods Avon Lady? BTW, thanks for the wonderful FAQ.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kirowan @ June 19 2002,17:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you use any sound mods Avon Lady?<span id='postcolor'>

Satchel's, since it's been out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, thanks for the wonderful FAQ.<span id='postcolor'>

You're most welcome. smile.gif

I dont think Aron Ash made a soundmod

However, he did make a very cool realism pack, were he made a realistic version of almost all the official OFP vehicles... new skin, weaponry and sound

Avon Lady,

What is the difference between Wright's fix for the Dynamic Range with custom reticle and Wright's fix for the Dynamic Range with default reticle. What does a sound mod have to do with reticles?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kirowan @ June 19 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What is the difference between Wright's fix for the Dynamic Range with custom reticle and Wright's fix for the Dynamic Range with default reticle.  What does a sound mod have to do with reticles?<span id='postcolor'>

Satchel decided to dabble a little bit when he created the sound pack. He made a customized gun reticle that replaces OFPs default reticle in 1st/3rd person view.

I've kept the default, i.e., the original reticle in my install.

So all I have to do is install Dynamic Range and then Wright's fix for the default reticle if I want to keep the default reticle, correct?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kirowan @ June 19 2002,19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So all I have to do is install Dynamic Range and then Wright's fix for the default reticle if I want to keep the default reticle, correct?<span id='postcolor'>

Correct.

You might want to wait for Resistance in a week or so before installing sound mods..

you might be surprised !

Capt Moore

waiiiittt a second, now. while were on the topic of Pitvipers default reticule for satchels soundpack; I have a question thats been bothering me. When I apply the fix, its not the original reticule from opflash, but the reticule for the m60 (the plus sign with a dot in the middle). Its not the biggest issue in the world, but im a nitpicking goon who really loves the standerd one. Does this happen with anyone else? is it somehow related to my setup? when I take off the config.ccp it reverts back to the normal reticule which i find the best. any help appreciated!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Adviss @ June 19 2002,20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">waiiiittt a second, now. while were on the topic of Pitvipers default reticule for satchels soundpack;<span id='postcolor'>

What version of OFP are you running?

Im running 1.46. Dont have any other oddities I can think of. Everything else, including every other addon I have (and theres quite a few) runs fine. Im not sure if theres some kinda conflict with some obscure addon I have, though, its a possibility I suppose. Ah, my computers pretty stable as well, 1800+ xp with 256 ram and a gforce 2 gts,with win98 se and the 23.82 nvidia drivers

[edit]: actually, now that I think about it, I deleted my config.bin a whiles back. hrm, can I just take it from my opflash cd?

Adviss, mine does that too - all weapon reticles turn into the cross with the dot in the centre. This is a problem with Satchel's config.cpp file. It occurs with all versions as far as I know (I'm running v1.46 like most people).

A few things you might want to bear in mind:

-the mod won't work with v1.60 (you just get the normal sounds)

-the mod frequently CTD's if you play online with it installed

-there are indications that Resistance will have new sounds, so you may want to wait for that (although imo they would have to be damn good to beat Satchel's)

Hope this helps.

Just thought I would chime in here and mention that I have released a newer version of dynamic range on my webpage. I changed many of the sounds to ones that make the game more enjoyable for me. Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think. http://students.washington.edu/gw2001

Wright, would it be possible to turn Satchel's Dynamic Range mod into a sound.pbo like the one you made a while back? This way it would work properly in multiplayer since the original config.bin would be intact. The only downside would be that some sounds would have to be removed since Satchel included several samples for some elements like explosions etc and created the cpp file to randomly select one for variety. I've tried doing it myself but I don't have the software or the expertise to pull it off.

Munger,

It's not all that hard to do. Basically you just take whatever sounds you like out of Satchels addon and overwrite other sounds in sound.pbo. You're right about the loss of variety, but I'd venture that it's still better than ofp's stock sounds. As far as me doing it, why don't we wait and see what resistance brings and if it brings didly squat then I will consider it. Classes will be starting next week though so we'll see.

By the way Munger, I should have added that you can check my webpage for a description of the process and the software you will need.

There is an excellent sound pack i found on a french site.

It is easy to install , you just have to replace the file Sound.pbo you can find in your

C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\DTA

by the one you will find in the zip by downloading the "fulcrum pack" (there is missions too in that zip + the new sound.pbo)

I recommend this sounds , easy to install as i said and greater quality in my opinion than OFP default sounds.

Even if Satchel Dynamic Sound Range add new kind of sounds to OFP , i prefer the sounds from the "fulcrum pack"

Give it a try if you can (remember to backup the original sounds.pbo if you want to repaly with it for unknown reason)

The page with the description is here

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tireurdelite/fiche_fulcrum_pack_01.htm

A translation can be found

by using Babelfish

http://babelfish.altavista.com

If you dont find the link to download the pack with the translation (or if you are too lazy) : click HERE to download it direcly

The pack weight +/- 22 mo (there is the sound pack and 4 missions in bonus, i never played them yet, so i dont know if they are only in french)