Sign in to follow this  
markb50k

[SP] Apocalypse - Invade. Control. Conquer

Hey Mark,

Started work on Huertgenwald, Albeit a selfish endeavor. I just figured out that I can copy n paste locations into the int file...Never said I was the sharpest tool in da shed! Anyhow should have it toward the end of the week with RL getting in the way.

cheers

Awesome man, look forward to seeing it!

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

Alright, this is how I would do it .

Alright let me look this over. i'll be looking for the basic ideas here and come up with a simple start to this functionality of a HQ vehicle. It wont be nearly as feature filled as what you describe, unfortunately.

Alright let me look this over. i'll be looking for the basic ideas here and come up with a simple start to this functionality of a HQ vehicle. It wont be nearly as feature filled as what you describe, unfortunately.

No problems, I was just juggling some ideas.

I'd love to know what specific feature I can look forward too, though.

for the mobile HQ, this is what i have coded so far:

- you have to request it, and it costs 1000 support points.

- you cant use the personal cache without the HQ.

- when you get the HQ, you can "Unpack" it and the cache appears nearby. The HQ vehicle doesnt change to the static version, since i am adding support for all HQ vehicles in all the factions you can request. Instead the HQ vehicle is setFuel to 0 so it cant move unless you "Pack" it again.

- "Packing" removes the cache from the area, plus any other upgrades you have bought.

- Upgrades available (new menu under the Support menu):

Reammo point, Refuel point, Repair point - all of these are features that the personal cache can now have depending on if you buy each upgrade or not

Medical Tent - spawns a MASH test near the HQ when unpacked. Tent is deleted when you pack.

If you lose your HQ, you can request another but the cost goes up by 1000 points each time

A driver comes with the HQ vehicle when it arrives

Should be able to release soon.

for the mobile HQ, this is what i have coded so far:

- you have to request it, and it costs 1000 support points.

- you cant use the personal cache without the HQ.

- when you get the HQ, you can "Unpack" it and the cache appears nearby. The HQ vehicle doesnt change to the static version, since i am adding support for all HQ vehicles in all the factions you can request. Instead the HQ vehicle is setFuel to 0 so it cant move unless you "Pack" it again.

- "Packing" removes the cache from the area, plus any other upgrades you have bought.

- Upgrades available (new menu under the Support menu):

Reammo point, Refuel point, Repair point - all of these are features that the personal cache can now have depending on if you buy each upgrade or not

Medical Tent - spawns a MASH test near the HQ when unpacked. Tent is deleted when you pack.

If you lose your HQ, you can request another but the cost goes up by 1000 points each time

A driver comes with the HQ vehicle when it arrives

Should be able to release soon.

1) Since you normally won't be able to buy an MHQ at the start of the game (since you only get 500 points), could you include a difficulty option that would change how much points you get at the beginning?

2) When unpacking MHQ, you should probably add small stuff like crates, barrels, sandbags and maybe a camo net as well around it to visually show the player that it's unpacked and then remove them when player packs it.

3) I would also make MHQ spawn different objects around it when unpacked, depending on the upgrades bought. For example, a medical tent for medical upgrade, a stack of crates for reammo point, some barrels and stuff for repair point, etc.

That would visually show the player which upgrades he have, making his deployed MHQ look more 'advanced' with each upgrade. It would also raise immersion and user-friendliness a bit, since one crate with a huge list of function is both un-immersive and incredibly dull.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

One more thing, how about some manned static defenses spawning near a camp when it's captured by any side?

That would solve the current issue of capturing stray (far away from enemy forces) camps being a dull busywork and would also add some extra challenge.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Also, I have a simple to implement idea.

There's a SecOp module that comes with the game, that generated random secondary missions around the map.

How about adding that to the mission and giving the player some support points after completing them? That would add some more variety to the game and variety is always good.

1) Since you normally won't be able to buy an MHQ at the start of the game (since you only get 500 points), could you include a difficulty option that would change how much points you get at the beginning?

2) When unpacking MHQ, you should probably add small stuff like crates, barrels, sandbags and maybe a camo net as well around it to visually show the player that it's unpacked and then remove them when player packs it.

3) I would also make MHQ spawn different objects around it when unpacked, depending on the upgrades bought. For example, a medical tent for medical upgrade, a stack of crates for reammo point, some barrels and stuff for repair point, etc.

That would visually show the player which upgrades he have, making his deployed MHQ look more 'advanced' with each upgrade. It would also raise immersion and user-friendliness a bit, since one crate with a huge list of function is both un-immersive and incredibly dull.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

One more thing, how about some manned static defenses spawning near a camp when it's captured by any side?

That would solve the current issue of capturing stray (far away from enemy forces) camps being a dull busywork and would also add some extra challenge.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Also, I have a simple to implement idea.

There's a SecOp module that comes with the game, that generated random secondary missions around the map.

How about adding that to the mission and giving the player some support points after completing them? That would add some more variety to the game and variety is always good.

FYI, i added in static weapon upgrades to the MHQ, and your #3 point is pretty much how i coded it. when you unpack youll always get the personal crate, but you may get a MASH tent, or static weapons depending on your upgrades. I could look at different objects to represent the fuel and repair points. will investigate.

Adding camonets and sandbags I guess is possible, but its alot of code to keep track of them with placement etc for a bit of eye candy. not in my priority list

As for starting support points, thats a pretty easy option to add, will try to get that in.

SecOps, from what i know of that, the idea of randomly spawning enemies/missions/friendlies out of nowhere is just asking for trouble. For someone using all BIS units i guess it would be less intrusive but if you doing a Molatia vs Russia scenario and your secops modules starts throwing down US Marines for SecOps, it wouldnt make sense. Plus those secops troops would be capturing camps randomly when they spawn. The effort to integrate a random-scenario generating system perfectly into the setup of the mission is not something i want to deal with, unless i was building it from the ground up.

FYI, i added in static weapon upgrades to the MHQ, and your #3 point is pretty much how i coded it. when you unpack youll always get the personal crate, but you may get a MASH tent, or static weapons depending on your upgrades. I could look at different objects to represent the fuel and repair points. will investigate.

As for starting support points, thats a pretty easy option to add, will try to get that in.

Sounds very good.

Adding camonets and sandbags I guess is possible, but its alot of code to keep track of them with placement etc for a bit of eye candy. not in my priority list

Alright, that's understandable if you don't want to script extra eye candy.

I was just suggesting that because I personally like fleshing out my games with extra eye candy.

SecOps, from what i know of that, the idea of randomly spawning enemies/missions/friendlies out of nowhere is just asking for trouble. For someone using all BIS units i guess it would be less intrusive but if you doing a Molatia vs Russia scenario and your secops modules starts throwing down US Marines for SecOps, it wouldnt make sense. Plus those secops troops would be capturing camps randomly when they spawn. The effort to integrate a random-scenario generating system perfectly into the setup of the mission is not something i want to deal with, unless i was building it from the ground up.

Completely fair point. I always forget that there are other factions that you have to support, other than BIS ones.

Also, it's not very clear from your post but what did you think about my suggestion of adding statics defenses to all camps?

Sounds very good.

Alright, that's understandable if you don't want to script extra eye candy.

I was just suggesting that because I personally like fleshing out my games with extra eye candy.

Completely fair point. I always forget that there are other factions that you have to support, other than BIS ones.

Also, it's not very clear from your post but what did you think about my suggestion of adding statics defenses to all camps?

well, currently, some camp types already support static weapons because they are part of the object compositions.. for instance the medium camp template includes static guns

in addition, groups that receive a "CampPatrol" order and are near a camp will automatically mount those weapons. But since camp patrols seem to be rare (still looking into that) you normally dont see it.

So, the possibility exists that will happen. of course, i could code it so that troops actually get spawned at mission start to represent a side already entrenched, but that will add to the amount of AI on the mission and will take up group slots, so there may be a performance hit. Thoughts?

BTW, added new objects to represent a refuel point (barrels) and repair supplies (cargo box). All of these plus the static weapons will be able to dragged and rotated to set up your camp proper. ITs coded but not tested.

Also, added the configurable starting support points : 0, 100, 250, 500, 750, and 1000 points.

Hey Mark,

U have mail. Apocaylpse in Huergenwald is ready for inspection. Has 60+ camps all totaled, It plays between 25 to 50 fps depending on area and situation @ 100% strength setting on my rig. One thing I like about this map is that it has a Chenarus kinda feel with mostly buildings/bunkers you can enter. A dislike for me is when you are in map mode and ya zoom out the fps drops off. guess its do to all the stuff on map. however when you zoom in the fps increases, Definitely not a game breaker. Over all Very playable for me, I'm having some really gr8 fire fights on this one. That's me story n I'm stickin to it!

cheers!

Edited by ht-57
bad grammer

Hey Mark,

U have mail. Apocaylpse in Huergenwald is ready for inspection. Has 60+ camps all totaled, It plays between 25 to 50 fps depending on area and situation @ 100% strength setting on my rig. One thing I like about this map is that it has a Chenarus kinda feel with mostly buildings/bunkers you can enter. A dislike for me is when you are in map mode and ya zoom out the fps drops off. guess its do to all the stuff on map. however when you zoom in the fps increases, Definitely not a game breaker. Over all Very playable for me, I'm having some really gr8 fire fights on this one. That's me story n I'm stickin to it!

cheers!

Awesome. I'm about to release a new version. unless i discover a good bit of free time I will try to get the Huergenwald map out in the next update after that one. will need to check it out. Appreciate the work, man. Definitely gives me a better feeling with the contributions i'm getting from the community!!

Version 2.4:

- new addon : Python.au's Aussie M1A1 Tank

- new : Mobile HQ vehicle is now a requestable reinforcement.

- new : Personal Cache is now only awarded with Mobile HQ

- new : numerous upgrades to Mobile HQ now available :

repair point - cargo crate spawns near HQ where you can repair vehicles

MASH tent - tent spawns near HQ

ammo replenishment - vehicle ammo replenishment provided by personal cache. This used to be default behavior of your cache. now it must be purchased.

refuel point - barrels spawn near HQ for refueling

static weapons - you can upgrade to add a static MG, AT, AA, Grenade Launcher and Mortar. Each a separate upgrade

- new : Loss of Mobile HQ loses all upgrades and weapons stored in personal cache

- new : Enemy AI will also have Mobile HQ. Destroying it will delay reinforcements. Capturing it will net alot of ammo/weapons onboard

- new : with Enemy HQ will be an enemy Group Leader. Kill him and receive bonus support points and additional delay in reinforcements

- new : Enemy HQs will generally travel around friendly held territory

- new : ability to RECALL AI house search parties

- tweak : Houses searched by AI will give player 0.5 support points (50% of what they'd get searching themselves)

- tweak : camp capture radius for player's group has been reduced to 25m. AI radius still 150m

- tweak : initial support points now selectable on mission startup

So, the possibility exists that will happen. of course, i could code it so that troops actually get spawned at mission start to represent a side already entrenched, but that will add to the amount of AI on the mission and will take up group slots, so there may be a performance hit. Thoughts?

Spawn unmanned static defenses at the start of the mission but only spawn actually AIs to man them, when player gets within their range? Since they would screw with cached AI groups anyway.

Spawn unmanned static defenses at the start of the mission but only spawn actually AIs to man them, when player gets within their range? Since they would screw with cached AI groups anyway.

unlike LOST i dont cache any troops, for just that reason. since troops and fast moving aircraft are constantly moving around all over the place it doesnt make sense to be spawning/caching troops constantly.

I'll think more on it and maybe increase their numbers a bit, to give more of a "defending" stance to the side you pick as a defender.

unlike LOST i dont cache any troops, for just that reason. since troops and fast moving aircraft are constantly moving around all over the place it doesnt make sense to be spawning/caching troops constantly.

I'll think more on it and maybe increase their numbers a bit, to give more of a "defending" stance to the side you pick as a defender.

You could still remove stationary AI when no other group is nearby and spawn them back when someone comes within their range. That way you won't have to deal with tons of static AIs doing nothing but using CPU.

I tried the new version and I didn't manage to get MHQ to arrive. Ordering it from 085 menu doesn't do anything even though I have more than enough points.

You could still remove stationary AI when no other group is nearby and spawn them back when someone comes within their range. That way you won't have to deal with tons of static AIs doing nothing but using CPU.

I tried the new version and I didn't manage to get MHQ to arrive. Ordering it from 085 menu doesn't do anything even though I have more than enough points.

-did it charge you your points? any message pop up? remember that it takes up to a minute to get added to the queue, and then you have to wait for it to arrive which could be 15 minutes or so.

-did it charge you your points? any message pop up? remember that it takes up to a minute to get added to the queue, and then you have to wait for it to arrive which could be 15 minutes or so.

Points weren't taken, messages didn't pop-up. Nothinghappened.

Also about that, maybe there should be a way to start with an MHQ? As a difficulty setting maybe?

It would be nice to at least get an option to start with an MHQ, if you want to make the player to order one. It's a very key unit.

ok will have to test when i get home. thanks.

will look at an option to have it delivered on the ground with you on your initial drop into the battlefield

Found the issue, will put out new version shortly

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

Version 2.5:

- new addon : Python.au's RAAF C130J

- new addon : Project CDF 1.06

- new : on initial screen you can choose to start with your HQ. The HQ will be at the drop zone when you arrive.

- fix : bug in requesting mobile HQ

I can't get this to load, everytime i try to play the Mod, it makes Arma2 CO hang on start up, it stays on the waiting screen for ages :/

Hey Roadkill,

Gonna sound like stupid questions but I'm going to ask any how.

1-Do you have the .pbo file MARKB50_Apocalypse file in a mod/Addons folder and running the mod?

If you answered yes to this, Are you starting the mod via the target line in the shortcut?

Roadkill, if you don't use any other faction you manually downloaded then delete all other pbo's besides MARKB50K_Apocalypse.pbo in the addon folder. It'll load much faster for ya!

I can't get this to load, everytime i try to play the Mod, it makes Arma2 CO hang on start up, it stays on the waiting screen for ages :/

You have to delete all *_Config.pbo files in the addons folder. I don't know why Markb50k puts them there as default, I personally always forget to remove them from there every time I update the mission. Putting them in a separate folder would be better, because I'm sure that majority aren't using faction mods.

Will put in separate folder for next update

I like the mobile HQ.

After 3 hours and forty five minutes, just about to cap the last camp on huertgenwald map and wouldn't ya know it I met a bullet w/my name on it! Fookin enemy. They had the nerve to damage my LAV as well! I used 1 friendly to 3enemy ratio @150% strength, good times!

Would it be possible to make the mission start time selectable?

I'll take a look at selectable start time. Oh and I finished the huertgenwald map, many of the houses weren't compatible with my code so i had to do some work there. Will release soon