Sign in to follow this  
shephart

high cell size - bad quality ?

hello, i have a question about the cell size : is it true that when the cell size is higher, the quality of the map will be worse ? which means the textures (i believe) should have bad quality like in operation flashpoint or cs 1.6.

here this is the max terrain & cellsize, when i would use them, do i have a bad quality map ? if yes, would it only affect the terrain texture ? or would water, sky etc... bad quality too ?

38b85223f9.jpg

Yes it will be bad and also current visitor does not allow placement of objects in certain areas of the terrain when using 4096 ^2 size Heightmap :(.

Your better of using small heightmap and then let the BIS Unlimited terrain deal with the outlying world , of course you cant place objects on the terrain that is procedural but same for 4096^2 so using BIS procedural is most efficent.

Largest map i saw so far is 2048 using 100M cells 201km * 201 km , not pretty at all to be honest apart from the constant FPS.

also you will see above at the bottom of your table your current settings are INvalid at 7

Yes it will be bad and also current visitor does not allow placement of objects in certain areas of the terrain when using 4096 ^2 size Heightmap :(.

Your better of using small heightmap and then let the BIS Unlimited terrain deal with the outlying world , of course you cant place objects on the terrain that is procedural but same for 4096^2 so using BIS procedural is most efficent.

Largest map i saw so far is 2048 using 100M cells 201km * 201 km , not pretty at all to be honest apart from the constant FPS.

also you will see above at the bottom of your table your current settings are INvalid at 7

thanks for fast answer ! hope bIS will fix it for arma 3 that we can use such big maps, would be good for big cities etc... and hope that BIS will make it so that the quality will stay

well you can have some quality if your satelite map is very very quality , however when you start to use clutter the RVMat become Massive for each section and even with streaming technology Out of Memmory error is always round corner :) :(

well you can have some quality if your satelite map is very very quality , however when you start to use clutter the RVMat become Massive for each section and even with streaming technology Out of Memmory error is always round corner :) :(

is there maybe an example out ? i mean a big map with bad quality or a small map with bad quality or even a video or picture ?

want to see how it looks in bad quality

Here is a poor quality terrain , High size download so i think original sat was large.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14787

Here is same terrain with smaller terrain cells but no clutter still (IIRC)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14830

thanks man ! will try them out now !

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

ok i tried the first map : on some places, there are normal textures, no low-res but anyway, we have alot of graphic bugs like flickering, or the camera "lags" .... hope it will be fixed in arma 3

When large maps come to mind, also remember it can be a monumental task populating the map with objects. Once 5,000,000 objects are surpassed, the .wrp file that contains the locations of all objects becomes to large and unstable.

Did you notice the terrain size of 4.069.000 x 4.069.000 (in words, more than 4 Million x 4 Million pixel)? No Program could handle this, not to speak of the game and Visitor. A map which is that much large would never been finished anyways. It is way to big.

I suggest to reduce to a terrain grid size of 2096 x 2096 and use terrain cell size of 10, which ends up in a map of 20 x 20 km. The Sat and mask layer map would have been a total size of 20960 x 20960 and a dimension of 1 meter per pixel in the Game world...if this is not enough?