Sign in to follow this  
giorgygr

More information about modeling handling wanted

It would be really nice if some of the developers at least inform me if there will be

dramatic changes regarding models handling-especially buildings.

I m planning to make a large collection of enterable- buildings -and i really want it done before ArmA VII

unlike other mods -sadly- i m watching their progress

Some questions are:

1)There will be new shaders come along-or/and expanding the already win-win Multimaterials? (i.e more colors than BRGB)

2)There will be new types of lods?

3)Polycount of a building will remain similar to OA?

..and any other information you can share with me/us ..will be really cool guys :j:

I don't think they would divulge this kind of information so early yet. Although, they should post it in a public place and not just tell you.

Well my thoughts are that they are going to release a brand new mod tool pack. Since it is a new engine there really isn't anything out there right now that you can use to create anything in Arma III.

Anyways, just an FYI in-case you didn't know but all buildings in Arma III are enter able. No more buildings with fake doors!

Well my thoughts are that they are going to release a brand new mod tool pack.

There is a video interview somewhere around here where one of the developers stated that new versions of BI Tools will be available, but not immediately.

Of course, no one knows all of the answers but I think you can reason a couple of them.

1) Regardless of the new types of shaders that come along, I would imagine that will still make some use of diffuse, smdi (specular + inverse gloss), normal, detail, and macro maps, plus maybe a blend map. I think if you got started on the buildings and materials, moving to a new shader set with those maps would not be too difficult.

2) I doubt it, but if there are you can always add them after the rest of your work is done.

3) They might be higher. Directx 9 has a 16 bit vertex normal buffer, which limits the number of vertex normals you can have to 65535. This equates practically to something like 22k poligons IIRC. Dx 10 and 11 have a 32 bit vertex normal buffer, I believe, which would make their poly limit per object 1 billion. Surely you will bump into some other limitation before you get to the end of the per object vertex normal buffer like you do in dx9.

I don't know where the 50m object size limit comes from so it's a little difficult to tell how big the buildings can be before you start to run into shadow drawing issues.

With the release of ArmA 3 getting closer, you can probably start a few normal buildings with current shaders and then go crazy when ArmA 3 comes out if there are really much less restrictive limitations.

I don't think they would divulge this kind of information so early yet. Although, they should post it in a public place and not just tell you.

There is little BIS has too loose if they are to put forward some generic information about A3 modding. No need to be very specific, but at least one can plan ahead. I know i am planning stuff for A3 that i previously had in mind for A2, and i am far from being the only one around here.

Well my thoughts are that they are going to release a brand new mod tool pack. Since it is a new engine there really isn't anything out there right now that you can use to create anything in Arma III.

While that is true, some of us can plan ahead. A lot of mod makers are using other software packages to develop their mods, prior to getting those into O2. So there can be some guided progress even if there is no BIS tools 3 for it.

There is a video interview somewhere around here where one of the developers stated that new versions of BI Tools will be available, but not immediately.

I for one haven't seen any and i've been pretty attentive to BIS announcements regarding A3 in the last 6 months or so

There is little BIS has too loose if they are to put forward some generic information about A3 modding. No need to be very specific, but at least one can plan ahead. I know i am planning stuff for A3 that i previously had in mind for A2, and i am far from being the only one around here.

Which is exactly why I've stated that they should make it public, but not this early yet as the game is still in development. Did you read what Max Power said?

I for one haven't seen any and i've been pretty attentive to BIS announcements regarding A3 in the last 6 months or so

Here is the interview video where Ivan talks about new tools being released. Skip to around 2:10 if you are impatient.

Ivan Butcha: "We will be releasing new versions of tools."

Although, I swear I remember him saying that it wouldn't be available right away. I guess I must have remembered wrong!

Although, I swear I remember him saying that it wouldn't be available right away. I guess I must have remembered wrong!

That's what they said about the tools for Arma2 over three years ago. Perhaps you made a mental connection between the two. ;)

Well, I believe that happened for ArmA 1 and 2- there was a short delay until the tools were released so I think it is a reasonable expectation.