Sign in to follow this  
Jagxk

Looking for New Joystick...advice needed!

Just getting back into flight sim games and my old Sidewinder 2 is shot. Any advice on a good joystick for a beginner to get back into the genre?

Most of my enthusiasm is to try, and possible buy, this game so something that would work well with helicopters is a major plus (Use of a gradual collective instead of a keyboard). Please just because I say beginner don't think I'm looking for something super simple. A joystick that I can use as I learn more and become a more advanced player would be great. I don't want to buy something then have to upgrade in a month. I also didn't want to invest the money without a little research first so telling me about your personal experiences with them would be nice too.

Thanks in advance.

Price? If any take a TH Warthog. HOTAS for sure. Saitek X-52 Pro is good too but Warthog is the first choice.

Price? If any take a TH Warthog. HOTAS for sure. Saitek X-52 Pro is good too but Warthog is the first choice.

This. But don't forget a set of rudder pedals. This Warthog comes without pedals.

If I were to get the Warthog...are the pedals necessary right away? Does the joystick twist? I'm going to have to line up purchases with paychecks so I won't be able to get it all at once. I've already decided to get the Track IR so that already 150 committed.

I have a new X-52 and have had huge problems with centering spring mechanism. It feels like metal on metal whenever I move it. I've tried all the tricks with using silicone lubricant, zip tieing springs together, and I eventually even cut a few rings of the spring with a dremel. I had to take the throttle apart to remove the detents at 10% and 90% but that was pretty easy. My stick is pretty loose now but that's a little more accurate to the helicopter cyclics I've used.

If I were to get the Warthog...are the pedals necessary right away? Does the joystick twist? I'm going to have to line up purchases with paychecks so I won't be able to get it all at once. I've already decided to get the Track IR so that already 150 committed.

No, the Warthog doesn't twist.

Warthog is great but don't get it without pedals.

Also if you play any prop sims or FSX you should keep in mind it has dual throttle (good) but only one other rotary. Some like to have rotaries for mixture, pitch or radiator.

Because I use elevator trim on my rotary Im getting a Saitek quadrant to go next to it.

For precision, it's very good I've flown many black shark missions with it and it's smooth. Prop sims, the gun is accurate :)

Warthog is not a good advice, IMO

Get a used x45(for the throttle) on ebay 20€. You have a rudder on the throttle :), and get a thrustmaster T16000 40€

for 60€ you will have a more precise system that the warthog 500€ :)

Edit :there is a new russian hotas, very precise and good quality, but i don't know if it's sell in europe/us, but it will soon

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=69172

http://flightsimcontrols.com/store/joysticks/cobra-m5/

Edited by Scorlhov

Warthog is not a good advice, IMO
Get a used x45(for the throttle) on ebay 20€. [color="#FF0000"]You have a rudder on the throttle[/color] 'Forget that ^^) , and get a thrustmaster T16000 40€
for 60€ you will have a more precise system that the warthog 500€ 

G0sZKHdW

For rudder I use My momo's pedal.. Work great.

See that for cheaper exemple.

And the momo.

85SwN2L

Warthog is for real simmer. If you only fly in Toh then I can't suggest it to you. Prefer his little bro the T.16000M.

Edited by hon0