Sign in to follow this  
hoak

How will ArmA 3 differ from Arma 2, and ArmA?

Well I don't think anyone but BI knows how it 'is' or may be different from ArmA or ArmA 2 but suggesting how it 'might' be different is what the sort of feedback BI has solicited, and this forum is for -- and to keep from side-railing this thread I started a separate thread on Squad System Design here...

Deeply disappointed, really? The BI games have always been some of the most ambitious, features rich, well supported, envelope pushing SOTA games you can buy as a civilian. The open-world sandbox nature of BI design and mod tools that are given as much attention as the game makes just about anything you're disappointed with an arcation point for a mod that someone will likely make if you don't.

The confirmed features list alone is stunning, so even if the ArmA 3 were otherwise an ArmA 2 clone it will have me enthusiastically taking out my wallet as soon as I can buy it.

That said, I do know what you mean; I personally would really like to see BI turn some of their talent from SOTA engine and simulation design and a little more to game design. I've always felt that there could be a game between ArmA and and the Battlefield games, that could be enormously more popular then either, and that BI should make it, not DICE or some Publisher owned and controlled Studio.

:eek:

The disappointment would be if ArmA3 was really no different than ArmA2. Because that would imply that BIS is just milking the franchise kinda like IW/Activision milked the CODMW franchise. I, however, disagree with Choki.

I'm really surprised there hasn't been any in-depth discussion in this thread about Arma 3's remotely controlled weapons systems, the possibilities are endless. They have the ability to shape the battlefield by forcing the enemy into certain paths and approaches. Cunning tacticians will make effective use of mobile remote controlled weapons systems low silhouettes, it will be no easy task locating and destroying them when in carefully interlocked 'hull down' and 'keyhole' positions. They are also impervious to suppression fire and fatigue. It will be interesting to learn what speeds they can accelerate at.

I'm really surprised there hasn't been any in-depth discussion in this thread about Arma 3's remotely controlled weapons systems, the possibilities are endless. They have the ability to shape the battlefield by forcing the enemy into certain paths and approaches. Cunning tacticians will make effective use of mobile remote controlled weapons systems low silhouettes, it will be no easy task locating and destroying them when in carefully interlocked 'hull down' and 'keyhole' positions. They are also impervious to suppression fire and fatigue. It will be interesting to learn what speeds they can accelerate at.

What's going to be really awesome is if the control station (little control pad thing) uses RTT. That would be sick!

What's going to be really awesome is if the control station (little control pad thing) uses RTT. That would be sick!

I believe we recently saw a screenshot of working mirrors on Arma3 vehicles, which would imply that the RTT tech from TKOH is definitely in. So your wish may well come true. ;)

The what? Say more please! Have a link to more info, a video perhaps?

:confused:

The what? Say more please! Have a link to more info, a video perhaps?

:confused:

Wishful thinking, that's all. There's going to be unmanned ground vehicles that you can control. I was just hoping that our characters could hold the control pad in our hands and look at the camera feed using Render to Texture. It probably won't happen, though. Cuz, they can do it. They've got RTT working for vehicles. So they should be able to get it working for a little control tablet. No video of it though.

I believe we recently saw a screenshot of working mirrors on Arma3 vehicles, which would imply that the RTT tech from TKOH is definitely in. So your wish may well come true. ;)

On that screenshot you can even see a display that is linked to a camera on the back of the vehicle. So Yes I guess UAV+RTT=possible but is it practical? Wouldn´t the display be to small?

On that screenshot you can even see a display that is linked to a camera on the back of the vehicle. So Yes I guess UAV+RTT=possible but is it practical? Wouldn´t the display be to small?

Well, you could start off looking at the display. And you could press the toggle sights button and then it'd do like UAVs currently do in ArmA2. So you'd have the option of just looking at the display in order to kinda keep peripheral vision around you, or you could zoom in and actually see stuff in more detail.

Well, you could start off looking at the display. And you could press the toggle sights button and then it'd do like UAVs currently do in ArmA2. So you'd have the option of just looking at the display in order to kinda keep peripheral vision around you, or you could zoom in and actually see stuff in more detail.

This is how it works currently on Take On Helicopters (Observer's seat), so i'm guessing it will be the same for Arma 3.

what is RTT?

Render-To-Texture, also known as PiP or Picture in Picture. It basically allows you to display footage on a screen in-game. It enables you to have functioning mirrors, displays. Here:

6Co5vySMOaU

ah Thanks! great! a small but realistic detail

ah Thanks! great! a small but realistic detail

Huge understatement alert! ;)

RTT may not be anything new in the grand scheme of gaming, but it will a huge step forward for Arma, now that it's finally coming. I'm glad they've been able to test and optimize it in TKOH, but the potential uses for it in Arma3 are much more numerous. In my eyes it is an extremely important, perhaps even game changing feature (depending on how it is used).

This is how it works currently on Take On Helicopters (Observer's seat), so i'm guessing it will be the same for Arma 3.

Awesome! That's really good news then.

In my eyes it is an extremely important, perhaps even game changing feature (depending on how it is used)

I always thought it would be neat to have and would have its occasional uses but never thought of it as a "game changer". Where would it be used to make such a difference? just wondering.