Sign in to follow this  
Eviscerator

Panavia tornado

damnit the A10 also flies in 5sec over the island in real life and the Su also

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DRa1N @ June 16 2002,10:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ June 16 2002,10:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about some of those rockeyes or the mk83 or mk82 instead of the gunpods<span id='postcolor'>

How about a nice warm cup of SHUT THE FUCK UP<span id='postcolor'>

whats with the attitude

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ June 16 2002,11:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">damnit the A10 also flies in 5sec over the island in real life and the Su also<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah i know. But the chance that you stay on target and kill it with the guns is very low because of the view distance, rate of fire and the damage it does, so i would rather have some free fall bombs than gunpods. But this was just how i would like it. Would think there are 100 of ways that people would like to see it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DRa1N @ June 16 2002,10:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ June 16 2002,10:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about some of those rockeyes or the mk83 or mk82 instead of the gunpods<span id='postcolor'>

he's just expressing an idea. no need to get angry.

Well that's a nice way to start your life on the forums! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ June 16 2002,13:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DRa1N @ June 16 2002,10:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ June 16 2002,10:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about some of those rockeyes or the mk83 or mk82 instead of the gunpods<span id='postcolor'>

Well that's a nice way to start your life on the forums!  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Or a nice way to end his life on the forums if he continues. confused.gif

the guns on there arent gun pods they are the tornado they are the internal cannons, i put the stormshadow on as it might be useful for some missions/cutscenes, if you want you'll still be able to replace it with a mk-82/maverick/sidewinder, i looked at putting a HARM missile on it but these things climb to 30,000ft then deploy a parachute to slow then freefals towards its target...way too much coding even if it is possible, all of the weapons will have new models including the stormshadow (5m long), and the tornado's max speed is...

Max. speed : 1,452mph (2,336km/h) at 36,000ft (11,000m)

and it probably takes about ten minutes in a straight line to get to that speed, and the tornado's wings are made so it has high manouverability at low speed, and with the lgb's it only needs a laser target and if not use them as dumb 2000lb bombs, the brimstone:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BRIMSTONE utilises a mmW active radar seeker providing all-weather, 24 hour a day operation, whilst having virtually undetectable transmissions. The missile carries a high-lethality, tandem shaped charge warhead, capable of defeating all currently anticipated threats, including Main Battle Tanks (MBT’s) fitted with the latest Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA).

The Royal Air Force needs a replacement for BL755, a weapon that was becoming increasingly ineffective against modern armour. It was to be carried on Tornado GR4/4A, Harrier GR7/T10, and Eurofighter, and be capable of defeating the present and future battlefield threat. The store had to be totally autonomous after launch (fire and forget), and operate by night or day in all weather conditions.

The Staff Target for an Advanced Air-Launched Anti-Armour Weapon was originally endorsed in 1981. An Invitation to Tender followed, leading to a Risk Reduction Programme for two solutions. As a result of Options for Change and Treasury intervention however, the program was cancelled in 1990, only to be reinstated in 1992, following a study into the entire UK anti-armour capability. The requirements were presented to industry via a Cardinal Point Specification which, while demanding compliance against certain essential features, gave scope for innovation, novel ideas, or possibly off-the-shelf procurement.

Five different compliant solutions were proposed by industry, comprising two un-powered glide dispensers, two missile-based weapons, and one a hybrid of both technologies. Bid assessment took place between June 1995 and February 1996, following which the Equipment Approvals Committee recommended that GEC-Marconi Radar and Defence Systems Ltd (GMRDS) should be awarded a contract based on their Brimstone weapon.

Brimstone beat off competition from some of the best-known names in the international defence market. Hunting Engineering and Texas Instruments proposed SWAARM and Griffin 38 respectively. These were both glide dispensers that flew un-powered towards the target before deploying a large number of small munitions overhead to defeat intended targets. The British Aerospace proposal was a weapon system named Typhoon and was based on the ASRAAM air to air missile. The final contender was the Thomson Thorn TAAWS weapon, based on BL755 but with a small rocket motor on each sub-munition to accelerate it away from the aircraft.

Brimstone is derived from the US Army Hellfire AGM-114F missile, with a weapon comprising three missiles and a launcher. Powered by a rocket motor it can seek and destroy targets many kilometres from launch point. A millimetric wave radar seeker developed by GMRDS achieves ground acquisition and target recognition, while steerable fins guide the missile towards the target, with final impact causing a tandem shaped charge warhead to detonate. The first, smaller warhead nullifies reactive armour, allowing the follow-through warhead to penetrate the main armour.

The contract value is Å700 million with the total through-life cost of the weapon coming to just over Å1 billion. The weapon enters service with the Royal Air Force in October 2001. Contractual milestones appear periodically throughout development to mark major achievements, such as design reviews and successful completion of trials.

The prime contract and weapon Design Authority is Alenia Marconi Systems (formerly GEC-Marconi) based in Stanmore and, while experienced in defence programmes, this is their first time as a weapon prime contractor. Their major sub-contractor is Boeing North American based in Duluth, Georgia who supply the missile bus and launcher electronics assembly. Flight Refuelling Ltd is the Design Authority for the launcher structure with Air Log Ltd, producing the missile container. Development activities continue through to an in-service date of October 2001, and weapon deliveries run from early 2001 until mid 2006.

In October 1998, it was announced that Brimstone had been nominated as one of the defence programs to become a pilot Integrated Project Team. Carrying a mandate to investigate gainsharing opportunities, the prime objectives being developed are to identify and capture significant performance, time and cost benefits over the life of the project. It was recognised fairly early in the process that due to the maturity of the design, increased performance would be difficult to achieve without additional risk. Efforts have therefore been concentrated on cost reduction and optimisation of timescales. The key issues currently being addressed in pursuit of the time/cost aims are restructuring in-service support, rationalisation of performance requirements, optimisation of capability for ISD, and minimising the impact of closure of the Boeing plant in Duluth with transfer of work to St Louis.

<span id='postcolor'>

i was considering going with '1985' sort of plane but the tornado didnt see action until 1991 so theres no point...

Rocket pods are always a simple option.

How are you going to keep the ordenance pointing forwards when the wing sweep back?

i think beta testing will start very soon, its just catching colourchanger thats the problem (i dont have oxygen so hes doing it) and then a few days of beta testing then it should be released, you may moan at the beta testing thing but i will not let this plane handle like the f-16/amx so be patient...

yeah, when they came out they pretty much sucked, the F-16 wobbled ETC, i'd rather wait for it to be perfect than have a load of crap, hope you agree

As your making the IDS and ADV, remember that the ADV has only one 27mm cannon, on its starboard side.

Ok, but a few skyflash missiles and a repaint in air defence grey wouldn't be too hard would it?

By the way; will anyone will reskin kegs Hawk to RAf colours?

I can get all the neccessary pics, Pm me if your interested.

Hey you know anything yet about the second pilot? what will be his job?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Speeeedy @ June 16 2002,14:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey you know anything yet about the second pilot? what will be his job?<span id='postcolor'>

to watch the magnificent landscape smile.gif

i dont have any more information on the tornado, the rest of the details are being kept secret until release so youll have a few nice surprises smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ June 16 2002,15:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i dont have any more information on the tornado, the rest of the details are being kept secret until release so youll have a few nice surprises smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

woooo, Secret secret ! wink.gif

I think the pics should have been secret too lol wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Speeeedy @ June 15 2002,17:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey you know anything yet about the second pilot? what will be his job?<span id='postcolor'>

He's not a pilot, he's a Navigator/Weapons Officer.

There's a hint in there somewhere biggrin.gif

BTW, the ADV is only used by the UK. the fuselage forward of the engine intakes is somewhat different; about 3 metres longer, if I remember right. So it wouldn't be just a matter of reskinning this very fine model, you would need a new one.

But I wouldn't bother with the ADV anyway. The IDS carries up to four Sidewinders for self defence on top of its strike armament, and that should be enough for the purposes of OFP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ June 16 2002,13:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the guns on there arent gun pods they are the tornado they are the internal cannons, i put the stormshadow on as it might be useful for some missions/cutscenes, if you want you'll still be able to replace it with a mk-82/maverick/sidewinder, i looked at putting a HARM missile on it but these things climb to 30,000ft then deploy a parachute to slow then freefals towards its target...way too much coding even if it is possible, all of the weapons will have new models including the stormshadow (5m long), and the tornado's max speed is...

and it probably takes about ten minutes in a straight line to get to that speed, and the tornado's wings are made so it has high manouverability at low speed, and with the lgb's it only needs a laser target and if not use them as dumb 2000lb bombs, the brimstone:

snip---

i was considering going with '1985' sort of plane but the tornado didnt see action until 1991 so theres no point...<span id='postcolor'>

Actually how you described the HARM missile is only ONE mode that the missle has called a "Loitering" capability. For example in real life, when an enemy AA facility detects a HARM launch, they will shut off their radar to protect themselves from the HARM missle. Sometimes the HARM will remember the location (if it's close enough) and strike the radar or very close to it. However it will usually then go into its secondary mode which is when it zooms up to 30,000 feet and slowly descends on a parachute. Only when it detects a radar turning on again will it release the parachute and fly towards that radar. However for OFP, you DON'T need to include that loitering capability. It's normal mode has it acting basically exactly as a Maverick missle, however it should only lock onto any AA threat that has a radar like the Shilka or Vulcan. Actually I believe it can also lock onto airborne radars as well...but I'm not for certain how effective it is as an AA missle.

But keep reading up on it. If you can figure out how to make it lock onto only Shilkas (or Vulcans) then you'd be in business. "Wild Weasels" would be awesome! Those pilots in real life have cajones the size of melons!!! But then again so do pilots who fly "runway denial" missions. They took heavy losses in the Gulf War. sad.gif

They work better in hill, mountainous terrain, not desert terrain where radar and gunners can see them coming from far away and then line them up easily with their AA guns. sad.gif

If anyone here has ever seen them operating in England practicing low level flying I think you'd agree that they have cajones of steel. Personally I just want to see the JP233 munitions dispenser in OFP. For one thing I think it would be VERY feasible to make this weapon system in OFP (Much easier then a cluster bomb), and it would just be so awesome to hold down the trigger as you release all those bomblets over a target area and look back behind you to see them exploding in a big trail of distruction. smile.gif

PLEEEEAAASE add this weapon system. It would be make the Tornado a thousand times funner to fly. Just remember that it's not a bomb, it's a dispenser that simply releases lots of bomblets while it stays on the aircraft. Just use a script that creates "handgrenade" objects just under the aircraft everytime the trigger is pressed with maybe .05 second increments. The hard part would be scripting that where it's a function of the firing button (weapons release).

If worse comes to worse I guess I could just simulate JP233 runs using a script on a map. If anyone is interested I can make a demonstration mission with using an A10 that shows what a JP233 attack should look like (using a script). smile.gif

I'm going to start working on that right now. Maybe that will get some ideas going. smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ June 16 2002,00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yeah im going to model new weaponsi was thinking of making a modern raf version.... so at the minute i have for the 7 hardpoints...

1+2 = 2 brimstone systems (2X3missiles)

3+4 = 2 pavewayII 1000lb bombs

5 = ?

6 = ?

7 = ?

i have 3 spare hardpoints to use...i may do the jp 233 but i need better pictures, and i think that uses the centreline fuselage, so that may still leave me with two spare...

this is what they can use:

Nuclear bombs

Sidewinder air-to-air

ALARM or AGM-88 HARM anti-radiation missiles

JP233 low-altitude airfield attack munitions dispenser

Paveway II and III laser-guided bomb

Maverick

Sea Eagle and Kormoran air-to-surface missiles

Napalm

BL755 cluster bombs (277 kg; 611 lb Mk1 or 264 kg; 582 lb Mk 2)

MW-1 munitions dispenser

1,000 lb bombs

smart or dumb bombs

BLU-1B 750 lb fire bombs

Mk 83 1,000 lb and Mk 82 500 lb bombs

Mk 20 Rockeye cluster bombs

Matra 250 kg ballistic and dumb bombs

Lepus flare bombs

LAU-51A and LR-25 rocket launchers

APACHE standoff weapons dispenser from 1997

you can chose two out of that lot...<span id='postcolor'>

There's not much really to the JP233 weapons dispenser. I know my picture doesn't show the middle part and the end, but it's just a pod that looks simple. I don't believe it has little winglets or anything on it. But I'll see if I can find you any better pictures that shows the ends of it a little more clearly. I wish I still had my old Jane's Defense Weekly magazines that I got from the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia. One had pictures of a JP233 attack and beautiful closeups of the Tornado as it was doing the attack. It's absolutely amazing!!! It's like 4-6 cluster bombs all in a row!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

the modelling bit is easy, ive seen enough pictures now, its the coding thats too hard and putting an anti-runway weapon on a plane in a game with a maximum of one runway per island doesnt balance out well, with the ones ive got you can take out:

Buildings(Stormshadow, Paveway)

Convoys(Stormshadow, Paveway)

Tanks(Brimstone)

Aircraft(Sidewinders)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ June 16 2002,01:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ June 16 2002,13:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the guns on there arent gun pods they are the tornado they are the internal cannons, i put the stormshadow on as it might be useful for some missions/cutscenes, if you want you'll still be able to replace it with a mk-82/maverick/sidewinder, i looked at putting a HARM missile on it but these things climb to 30,000ft then deploy a parachute to slow then freefals towards its target...way too much coding even if it is possible, all of the weapons will have new models including the stormshadow (5m long), and the tornado's max speed is...

snip---

i was considering going with '1985' sort of plane but the tornado didnt see action until 1991 so theres no point...<span id='postcolor'>

Actually how you described the HARM missile is only ONE mode that the missle has called a "Loitering" capability.  For example in real life, when an enemy AA facility detects a HARM launch, they will shut off their radar to protect themselves from the HARM missle.  Sometimes the HARM will remember the location (if it's close enough) and strike the radar or very close to it.  However it will usually then go into its secondary mode which is when it zooms up to 30,000 feet and slowly descends on a parachute.  Only when it detects a radar turning on again will it release the parachute and fly towards that radar.   However for OFP, you DON'T need to include that loitering capability.  It's normal mode has it acting basically exactly as a Maverick missle, however it should only lock onto any AA threat that has a radar like the Shilka or Vulcan.  Actually I believe it can also lock onto airborne radars as well...but I'm not for certain how effective it is as an AA missle.  

But keep reading up on it.  If you can figure out how to make it lock onto only Shilkas (or Vulcans) then you'd be in business.  "Wild Weasels" would be awesome!   Those pilots in real life have cajones the size of melons!!!  But then again so do pilots who fly "runway denial" missions.  They took heavy losses in the Gulf War.  sad.gif

They work better in hill, mountainous terrain, not desert terrain where radar and gunners can see them coming from far away and then line them up easily with their AA guns.  sad.gif

If anyone here has ever seen them operating in England practicing low level flying I think you'd agree that they have cajones of steel.  Personally I just want to see the JP233 munitions dispenser in OFP.   For one thing I think it would be VERY feasible to make this weapon system in OFP (Much easier then a cluster bomb), and it would just be so awesome to hold down the trigger as you release all those bomblets over a target area and look back behind you to see them exploding in a big trail of distruction.  smile.gif  

PLEEEEAAASE add this weapon system.  It would be make the Tornado a thousand times funner to fly.  Just remember that it's not a bomb, it's a dispenser that simply releases lots of bomblets while it stays on the aircraft.   Just use a script that creates "handgrenade" objects just under the aircraft everytime the trigger is pressed with maybe .05 second increments.  The hard part would be scripting that where it's a function of the firing button (weapons release).  

If worse comes to worse I guess I could just simulate JP233 runs using a script on a map.  If anyone is interested I can make a demonstration mission with using an A10 that shows what a JP233 attack should look like (using a script).    smile.gif

I'm going to start working on that right now.  Maybe that will get some ideas going.  smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

He means ALARM not HARM.

God, a weapon like that makes you proud to be British.

Correction; a weapon like that makes you feel SAFER to be British! biggrin.gif