Sign in to follow this  
WebDog

Tank Idea

I have heard of a tank class challenger or somthing like that. It can whip a T-80 pretty quick.

The Challenger is the main British tank. I think its also one of the most heavily armored IRL, and its gun packs one #### of a punch also.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Hasharajima on 2:36 am on Nov. 20, 2001

T-95 kick its mama!<span id='postcolor'>

Dude, the Challenger's mom died in labor! Show some respect!

Challanger 2 has the best armour of any Western production tank, a gun control system based on an upgraded version of the Abrams's system, and a rather nice gun.

Its immediate ancestor, the Challanger 1, was a tad reliability-problem prone but the new version seems to have fixed that.

As long as stupid cost-cutting measures are not implemented. During the recent exercises in Oman the MoD tried to save money by not properly preparing the vehicles for the desert. (Sand Filters, etc). Result: a significant proportion of engines damaged within 48 hours.

Bloody typical, as my grandmother would say.

--

Currently reading - The Crow Road - Iain Banks

Currently listening - Is That It - The Strokes

Talking of british units along with the SA80 id like to see the challengers predecessor the Chieftain and the Scimitar Light scout tank included.

(Edited by bertiebasset at 8:39 pm on Nov. 20, 2001)

Hwy, you forgot the warrior APC, now thats a good APC, wayyy better in my view than a M113, the english army rule! (As you can probably tell I'm from England)

Is it me or do we start with unreliable but quality stuff for the army and then make it into the best in the world later?

Now the airforce, thats the best stuff from the start smile.gif

I think thats because they are crazy ideas in the first place, nothing bog standard, must be the best and most powerful and gonna whoop you ass! As a result we tend to go a little to far and over do them resulting in mass failure all round. But hey once they finished do we get rather lovely kit!!!!!!

Without wishing to raise anyone's hackles, I think the British Army is a tad more accurate than the English Army (unless you want some of the more scary Highland regiments on the other side).

The strength of the British Army (and its armed forces in general) is not in its equipment (which tends to be average/good, with occasional bloopers and brilliants) but in the superb training of its fighting men (and women of course)

--

Currently reading - The Crow Road - Iain Banks

Currently listening - the news

Well it is the excellently trained (some say best) service men that put up with the kit and inprevise when something goes wrong with the kit.

The folks who designed that tank (a T-80UM2 I believe) watch way too much Star Trek, look at the turret, Federation starship anybody?!?!?!?

His name is Black Eagle, and anyone know too much about this tank first because I think that he still a test tank, and secont becuse the Russians don't give no information about him,, I just know that he 'll rules the combat zone... wink.gif

the Challanger WITHDREW from NATO tank trials because it kept coming last.

Great tank , fit in well to OPF smile.gif

M79 - probably because it stopped working. Typical British stuff, always great always breaking down.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from ACT SMILEY on 8:58 pm on Nov. 21, 2001

M79 - probably because it stopped working. Typical British stuff, always great always breaking down.<span id='postcolor'>

And yet still has what is considered to be the best army world-over, crazy that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Spetznaz on 12:17 am on Nov. 21, 2001

His name is Black Eagle, and anyone know too much about this tank first because I think that he still a test tank, and secont becuse the Russians don't give no information about him,, I just know that he 'll rules the combat zone... wink.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

Oh? Lets see how tough it is when a NATO FCS (They're bound to give it an offical name someday wink.gif ) nails it from 10km away tounge.gif

Russian & American tanks have a history of sucking

Russian tanks have usually been quite relable, but underarmed & underarmored

Abrams is the first good idea the yanks have had

British tanks such as the Centurion & the Chieftan ruled the 50s-70s

I think the challenger is one of the world's best existing tanks... would be a good addition to OFP

I understand why the Abrams and T80 are an "almost" equal match in OFP, for gameplay.. but lets look at it realistically.. I think the kill ratio between the 2 would be 5-1, if that. Driving the Abrams would be like having god mode on.