Sign in to follow this  
Hindhunter

Armored Transport

I think it´s remarkable that BIS still hasn´t added any APC:s for the Soviets, the BMP series is not a APC but a IFV and this should be seen to ASAP.

I propose the eight-wheeled BTR series or the MT-LB infantry carrier and whichever may be most suitable is up to BIS I think.

The BTR-60/70/80 can carry more soldiers I believe and is equipped with a formidable 14,5mm HMG whereas the MT-LB only has a 7,62 PK in the turret which is, according to the Swedish army, more lethal to the gunner than to the enemy = )

Well, the BMP also is an APC. It's an Armoured Personnel Carrier.

awfully popular cat? :biggrin: I think the btr series look cool..... mb in the next addon who knows

RedStorm, the BMP is not an APC per definition. If it is, well, then it´s the only APC in the world with that weapon configuration. It is a Infantry Fighting Veichle, IFV, as is the M3 Bradley, as the Marader, the swedish CV 90 etc etc.

The APC´s primary role is to provide sheltered transport for infantry and relies on the infantry to combat NMY armour since they are mostly lightly armed with machineguns or light autocannons whereas an IFV such as the BMP does have more firepower and can provide heavy fire support for the infantry and even combat enemy armour if needed.

The BMP btw was the first serial produced vessel to employ this configuration with cannon and ATGM in combination and other countries followed this concept, like the US Bradley and so forth. Do you call the Bradley an APC too perhaps?

Well i agree, right now i'd rather have a BTR-80 than a BRDM.

M2 bradley you mean?

also, i would like to see a few other things counter the BMP, AAV7 or LAV. Either of the 2 will do, but the US really only has 1 amphibious vehicle and the soviets have 3. also, can someone tell me if in real life if the M113 can actually float in water? i would wish the humvee could drive around in water a bit more because after you get like 2 feet out or so, it just stops working sad.gif

You called the M3 an IFV? You need to be slapped around. Never disrespect Calvary that way. You never know when a Scout has you in his sights wink.gif Silent Death.

(Edited by DarthBeavis at 5:03 am on Dec. 5, 2001)

DarthBeavis, sorry smile.gif You are perfectly correct of course, the M3 is the Cavalry version, thus a CFV Cavalry Fighting Veichle which is a common acronym among AFV´s whereas the M2 is the Army version IFV I should have mentioned instead. But you get the catch, no matter if it´s a IFV or CFV, they are both heavier armed than an APC. =)

Yes. They are heavier than an APC. The M113 was the last Army APC that I know of. Yet don't dis the M113 either. There were so many M113 variants. One had turret with twin TOW missle launchers. Looked really weird. When I was in, our mortar platoon still used the M113s. We also had them for comm and medics. Wanna talk about weird looking vehicles. When I first got in, they had these strange looking wheeled units known as Gamma Goats (not sure what the nomenclature was).

DarthBeavis, the M113 with TOW you´re talking of is probably a M901A2 "Hammerhead". I remeber it from the Game Manual for M1 Tank Platton for Amiga =). Oh, those good ol´days! The elevated position of the launher tubes enabled it to fire from crests without exposing itself to much to the enemy. Are they still in service btw?

I don't really like the M113 either. I would rather send my troops to the front line in a truck rather than that stupid old thing.

It would be cool if the M113 had a cannon of somekind though. Like the Bradleys TOW launcher on the side.

That would be cool.

I love the BMP though. It is probably my favourite tank. It can float, it can transport troops, it looks really cool AND it can be used on the front line.

HAIL THE BMP!!!

(I am still yet to work out ANY possible kind of use there is for the BRMD)

Jamesia

I have found a use for the BRDM...

TARGET PRACTICE wink.gif

I like to practice my Bradey Gunnery skills on it , or if I am feeling in a bad mood I use the Abrams smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Jamesia on 10:59 pm on Dec. 5, 2001

I don't really like the M113 either. I would rather send my troops to the front line in a truck rather than that stupid old thing.

It would

be cool if the M113 had a cannon of somekind though. Like the Bradleys TOW launcher on the side.

That would be cool.

I love the BMP though. It is probably my favourite tank. It can float, it can transport troops, it looks really cool AND it can be used on the front line.

HAIL THE BMP!!!

(I am still yet to work out ANY possible kind of use there is for the BRMD)

<span id='postcolor'>

If you would like to see a M113 with a cannon, that has been made:

http://www.danskpanser.dk/images/PNMK_stor.jpg

It should be noted that this vehicle only has room for the crew - it is no longer an APC

And would you please stop calling the BMP a tank - it's still an IFV

Hey! Isn´t that the same Aden autocannon that´s mounted on the British Warrior?

Guest Scooby

Isnt that bushmaster?:)

The autocannon on the M/92 PNMK (the converted M113) is a swiss 25mm autocannon with the name "KBA B02 B1", it has a range of 2000 m and shoots 600 rds/min. There is a crew of 4: Commander, driver, gunner and helper.

Probably an Oerlikon or Aden then. They are both Swiss I believe. The Cannons that is. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Jamesia on 10:59 pm on Dec. 5, 2001

HAIL THE BMP!!!

<span id='postcolor'>

Jamesia....

I hate to burst your bubble, but the BMP is not a tank. It is VERY lightly armored:

"The BMP has relatively thin armor, with a maximum thickness of 19 millimeters in the hull and 23 millimeters in the turret"

"The vehicle is extremely vulnerable to ATGM and tank fire"

"...penetration anywhere on the vehicle will normally result in a mobility, firepower, or personnel kill."

- all from US Army FM 100-2-3 page 5-33

You want realism....I think they got is about right with the BMP

Guest Scooby

sgtdwetzel:

What you said about BMP applies to about every IFV there is around, doesnt it. BMP just has odd design where fuel tanks are in backdoor and in the middle of the troop compartment if I still can remember it right.

If ATGM comes from anti tank guided missile it doesnt really matter what vehicle there is when in example TOW2A or new israeli top attack missile we've got hits its target.