Sign in to follow this  
Sealife

Firefox was causing me so much lag

Hi ,

Just in case anyone else was suffering this with Firefox i put a fix (for use at own risk).

Basicly plugin-container.exe was hammering my cpu and too much memory for my liking ,unnfortuntaely it was making TOH take forever to load up if i had a tab open in background whilst loading , so enevitably FF had to sufffer ,

i searched and found this and it fixed the problem for me.

You can disable the plugincontainer.exe by

1) typing in about:config in the address bar

2) type in "dom.ipc" (in the filter)

3) disable the 4 values that say true (might not be four i just double clicked top one from true to false)

Hope it helps someone else till FF realise there roots and provide faster brwosing once again :)

Thanks for posting the tip :cool:

This shows one of the hard-to-solve issues we are dealing with as PC developers though: there's plenty of other applications which can easily affect performance within the game.

Why would one run Firefox (or anything else, for that matter) in the background while playing ToH??? :confused:

Also, plugin-container.exe doesn't normally use cpu unless a plugin is crunching something (e.g. Quicktime/Flash/Shockwave videos, Java, etc.), or unless there is a problem with the plugins or the Firefox profile or installation. There should almost never be a need to disable the container in my experience, and doing so may make Firefox crashes more likely.

Why would one run Firefox (or anything else, for that matter) in the background while playing ToH??? :confused:

Some of us almost always have Firefox or other programs open in the background. It's just a matter of habit. :)

Also, plugin-container.exe doesn't normally use cpu unless a plugin is crunching something (e.g. Quicktime/Flash/Shockwave videos, Java, etc.), or unless there is a problem with the plugins or the Firefox profile or installation. There should almost never be a need to disable the container in my experience, and doing so may make Firefox crashes more likely.

well usually it would be because i like to have banging tunes playing via youttube whilst flying , However more recently i have tended to have these forums open whilst verifying the problems with the latest beta ,so i guess it would have been the flash advertisements , a bit ironic i guess.

I would like to know your version though of firefox if you dont mind , i maybe able to revert seeing as you have no problems in your experience , it would seem i can then run again both firefox and TOH wihout messing with FF config.

thankyou in advance , by the way if you google firefox and plugin_container.exe , you can be sure you will not also be helping me alone but many others and i assure you i will credit you .

I always stay current with FF, I'm at 10.0 now. Beware that there is a grim NVIDIA driver TDR timeout/crash/recover error associated with FF, Flash (possibly watching more than one video at once - but that is not my experience), and the 285.62-290.53 drivers. FF running alone on your system can temporarily bork the NVIDIA driver, even (rarely) forcing a system shutdown. I think the problem occurs mainly with 400 and 500 series cards; my system with a 295 is clean. See NVIDIA forums. The latest NVIDIA driver is supposed to fix it, at least partially:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-295.51-beta-driver.html

Key Bug Fixes and Enhancements

Fixes instances where the GeForce GTX 590 fan unnecessarily increased to 100%.

Fixes instances of driver timeouts while simultaneously watching multiple videos.

Adds edit/delete option for custom resolutions.

Rest assured that you are not alone in experiencing plugin-container issues, though. But typically, such CPU activity from that exe (when there shouldn't be any, like when no videos are playing, etc.) usually means that there is something wrong on your system. A fresh FF install, including all extensions (Flash/Shockwave/Java, etc.), may fix it.

If you want to play tunes in background, you could also try Chrome, which is very fast, simple, and clean, with Flash pre-installed.

ToH taxes my system to the max, so there is no way I would have something running in the background (other than Afterburner). I find the built-in ToH music quite awesome! :)

Edited by OMAC

thanks for tips ,

i have same versions and uptodate with Nvidia , however disabling it fixed for me so i will continue to believe this plugin.exe doesnt like me , looking at how many are debating it , i think firefox will find solution ,if not then i think i will have to get the Stylus player out of the attic ;)

Some of us almost always have Firefox or other programs open in the background. It's just a matter of habit. :)

i think your right....its just that FF has some good tools for certain things....and lags certain things......even chrome lags things that i want to have in my browser.....so its kinda matter of choice....