Sign in to follow this  
igneous01

Any strategy guides with High Command?

This is not a request for how to use high command, but how to effectively use it in some missions.

I have been playing around with it, using a platoon of Russian soldiers to assault/patrol/convoy/defend to test my skills in managing platoon size battles. So far I have opted for fireteams as subordinate groups so that its easier to position fireteams at appropriate distances for maximum effect.

However, I seem to suck at it - I tried to do a night infiltration and assault on utes with 60 men in boats against fortified positions of guerilla troops of about 80-90 men, and two brdm2's. Managed to sneak a landing easily, but the moment we got engaged, teams we're disappearing like flies, and I cant help but feel im doing something wrong with my men.

What are some formations to use when assaulting a position?

Optimum spacing between teams?

Formations for convoy?

Formations for mechanized platoon? (infantry platoon + 2 btr90 for example)

How should I move teams in a fight?

So, are there any guides out yet about effectively commanding platoon size groups? Theres a decent amount of squad command ones, but it feels different with high command and the scale of the fight - too many things to manage and deal with.

Are you a wargamer?

I doesn't matter whether you are commanding 3 men, 3 teams, 3 squads, 3 platoons 3 companies its basically the same.

Use heavy weapons to plaster the ground, Group 1 assaults through, Group 2 in reserve to follow up the assault and Group 3 provides rear guard or else fire support from a long distance or maybe provides some other thing as the case may be.

60 men against 80+ guerillas occupying fortified positions with mobile armored vehicle reserves? That is pushing anyones luck. :)

Without a significant force multiplier all the planning in the world won't let AI led troops handle those sort of odds. In fact it may be pushing it with human players too. (depending on mod/difficulty levels)

Think about adding some limited Air or Artillery (mortars are great) assets.

For questions regarding formations and spacing I can only refer to the appropriate Field Manuals.

-k

60 men against 80+ guerillas occupying fortified positions with mobile armored vehicle reserves? That is pushing anyones luck. :)

Without a significant force multiplier all the planning in the world won't let AI led troops handle those sort of odds. In fact it may be pushing it with human players too. (depending on mod/difficulty levels)

Think about adding some limited Air or Artillery (mortars are great) assets.

For questions regarding formations and spacing I can only refer to the appropriate Field Manuals.

-k

yea, I guess I was trying to challenge myself (i admit - too much so), I did add in 3 call ins for CAS and Helos, and thing is, they ripped the entire island apart with no support, after my men were all slaughtered.

BTW, It would be great to have ai mortar teams that function (Im using ACE too) that would pack up/deploy and suggest fire missions, same with MG teams. Right now I am only doing basic 4 regular fireteams - 3 mg teams - 2 at teams

I shall have a look at the field manuals though, see If I cant find anything useful to use.

Modern military doctrine calls for a 3-4x numbers advantage when on the attack. As noted exceptions can be made when troops are of exceptional quality or adequate force multipliers are present.

I'm a great fan of four man teams... for recon purposes. When making AI groups I'd want to construct them around a teamleader, a MG, and a AT capability of some sort. The Russians have two great weapons in the PKP Pecheneg and RPG-7. Use Riflemen as scouts and ammocarriers. 6-8 man squads depending on availability and transport. Traditionalist, but effective.

The one up, two back principle outlined by Joe98 is essential.

-k

Modern military doctrine calls for a 3-4x numbers advantage when on the attack. As noted exceptions can be made when troops are of exceptional quality or adequate force multipliers are present.

Its 3-1 advantage on the attack and 10-1 against fortified positions. But these are only on a local level, so if you can get half your force in one place against a tenth of his then it'd be possible (assuming OP's situation).

I'm a great fan of four man teams... for recon purposes. When making AI groups I'd want to construct them around a teamleader, a MG, and a AT capability of some sort. The Russians have two great weapons in the PKP Pecheneg and RPG-7. Use Riflemen as scouts and ammocarriers. 6-8 man squads depending on availability and transport. Traditionalist, but effective.

The one up, two back principle outlined by Joe98 is essential.

-k

Chechens and Taliban use teams like this, with either an MG or RPG as the focal point with riflemen for ammo bearers and local security.

I would say if you play ArmA this way you should try it C&C style.

ArmA with HC just can be compared to real wargames so you should not waste your time by thinking about "real life tactics" or tactics in any way...just rush them with greater numbers or bigger guns.

After some fiddling around and getting a basic weapon script working, It has become alot easier winning engagements - the MG setup in kill zones and the mortar fire in the back provides solid effective fire, and allows other groups to advance and maneuver while they are hammering the enemy.

My two approaches to an assault have been:

L-Shaped assault, with strong base of fire, with a flank sweeping in, this usually gets the job done, but if the firebase stops firing or suppressing for whatever reason - the flanking squad can get annihilated (really, groups need an order to suppress more in HC)

Two-Prong assault, with two groups alternating between cover fire and advance, mortar in the back providing indirect fire support to help keep enemy heads down, and MG holding down the main path towards the AO. This can work exceptionally well if the MG is positioned in a good spot that overlooks the AO - I had a few test runs with the script where two MG teams and a 12 man squad managed to eliminate 30+ insurgents with the first MG suppressing, second setting up, suppressing, first packing up and moving closer, with squad on the flank and center providing more support. the MG's alone took out 1/2 of the enemy force. Felt like I was playing Company of Heroes again with Axis.

Just thought I'd share my findings with you guys - it seems possible now to successfully command and engage where enemy forces outnumber your own, but still a lot of room for failure.

Regarding mortars. In real life it keeps their heads down. But in the game, the enemy seems to get scared or get killed.

They don't appear to "keep their heads down" as such.