Sign in to follow this  
SkipDialogue

G940 or Warthog?

I know there was a joystick thread earlier, but that seemed more associated with which joystick would you recommend. I'm really only interested in two, so I'm hoping to get some feedback.

If money weren't a factor, which one would everyone prefer? I'm spending way too much time in ToH and I'm also spending time in DCS A-10. Both sticks seem to have good reviews, so I'm not sure which I should get.

If I add money to the equation, I can get the G940 for substantially less, but price isn't necessarily the most important factor.

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely the Warthog. There's no way its accuracy and overall quality could be compared with the G-940 which is mostly made from plastic and still runs on kinda old potentiometers. However, the Warthog runs on the magnetic HALL sensors and it's made mostly from the steel and some plastic (I think its overall weight is 6 kg), but it doesn't have the pedals nor FFB. So my conclusion is:

If you want a joystick it with pedals and FFB, go for a Logitech G-940.

If you want a heavy, accurate and quality joystick then definitely buy the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. But I have to warn you - after some time you'll have to buy (or make) the pedals too, because the Warthog doesn't have turnable stick for a rudder.

Edited by SmukY

If you want heavy and accurate and quality joystick then definitely buy the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. But I have to warn you - after some time you'll have to buy the pedals too, because Warthog doesn't have turnable stick for rudder.

Thanks for the feedback. The pedals aren't an issue because I actually have some CH Pro Pedals already. They're not perfect, but they work well.

especially if you also play DCS, the warthog is your bet. no question. For A-10 I also use an iPad. You can get this app that basically can display all the cockpit buttons/switches and you can directly interact by touch, veeeery awesome doing start up sequence by hand instead of mouse :) oh and the live MFDs of course.

F9JloI98qB0

I have the Warthog too, and that is what I would recommend if you dont want a proper heli setup with cyclic etc. The build quality is superb with the warthog and boy is it heavy. The stick has a very decent amount of centering force also. You will smile from ear to ear, thats a guarantee.

I just got the warthog. i was dubbing between this and the saitek 52 pro.

The weight (the mere throttle is 3kg!) pulled me over towards the warthog.

and like i told my GF ... IT GOT NICE LIGHTS !!! * then i got slap on head*

Hi,

So the Warthog has not FFB, but does it have any resistance when you are flying? I find it difficult to fly with a stick that is completely loose. I am not having a lot of success with my G940 and may replace it with the Warthog.

the stick has a lot of resitance. its pretty heavy too. everthing kncluding the internal parts are steel.

Real helicopters are controlled just with fingertips. Their controlls are very sensitive and the range you can move the real stick is far greater than any normal joystick handle can offer.

If you dont want to buy expensive long stick like Cadet Basic Helicopter System or Flight Link Helicopter Controlls, you should look at least for controller that has no centering forces. Unfortunately Warthog is for jet fighter aircraft and it has very strong centering force that cannot be removed.

Real helicopters are controlled just with fingertips. Their controlls are very sensitive and the range you can move the real stick is far greater than any normal joystick handle can offer.

If you dont want to buy expensive long stick like Cadet Basic Helicopter System or Flight Link Helicopter Controlls, you should look at least for controller that has no centering forces. Unfortunately Warthog is for jet fighter aircraft and it has very strong centering force that cannot be removed.

True, but you must try and find a good balance I guess. I have a heli cyclic with no centering spring but its extremely difficult/practically impossible to maintain a perfect hover if you are looking anywhere but straight ahead. This is mostly due to the lack of feel from a heli cyclic, it has tension but no centering. Thats why in some situations it is easier with a fighter style stick with centering spring.

But you may ask, "If you can hover a heli in real life with no centering spring when looking around then you must be able to do it in real life?" - Wrong. You could have the most realistic heli simulator ever built along with 64 bit (if they existed) heli controls and you still would not be able to fly like you would be able to in real life. That is because we are not in a real heli, you body is very sensitive to tactile feedback that you will fly a real heli by what your body is feeling and not just with your eyes like we sim pilots do.

When I flew a heli in TK with my Warthog the thing that stood out the most is trim, you always had to trim, with my cyclic, if I put the sensitivity high enough you do not notice it and becomes much easier when you are adjusting the collective, such as going from hover to forward flight and vice versa. When you are are in a hover and you have the heli trimmed properly then it is actually easier with a centering joystick to maintain the hover when looking to the left and at the ground, for example. Just because of the feedback from the spring around center.

Different controller types favour different situations on computers.

Edited by nev_vern

Interesting. How did you make the extension? I do know of the website which sells extensions and how easily it is to wire up, but how did you make it? Is the extension aluminium or plastic?