Sign in to follow this  
jedra

Joystick setup help

Hi,

I have been trying to take off in a light helicopter without auto-trim and have just about managed to get it off the ground and flying straight. The problem is that to fly straight and level, my G940 joystick needs to be in the far up and left position, which is very tiring not to mention difficult to actually control. I am starting to think that something is going a bit screwy with the control settings. Anyway I thought I would take a look at the joystick settings and I am a bit confused!

On the Customize Controller screen there are three graphs at the top depicting the curves. I can't seem to change these, and nothing I do seems to affect them. What are they and can you change them? If they are the same thing as the control curves in something like DCS A10 or Black Shark2 then shouldn't I be able to change them?

If you click the 'show' button you can see the readings that the joystick is outputing. These are as I would expect so I know my stick is centred and ouputing correctly. However the show button also reveals a drop down box with the values '1.0, 1.2, 1.5, 1.9, 2.4, 3.0'. What are these values and what do they do?

Of course I can continue to play with auto-trim enabled, but I am sure there is something amis as it shouldn't be this hard to control, should it?

In case it matters, I have sensitivity set to zero in the logitech profiler and the defaults in ToH. Deadzones are zero in both.

Auto trim or manual trim, that's the only options you have. The 'over' requirement of trim is a bug and I pray to God BIS will fix this, coz it's outa proportion :)

Can you script your L940? For ex On my T16000M I use a script to change my sensitivity on the fly. It's verry cool to use

Can you script your L940? For ex On my T16000M I use a script to change my sensitivity on the fly. It's verry cool to use

I don't know the answer to that! I don't think my problems are sensitivity related though. I think it's one of the following;

1. The internal mappings in the game are not working properly.

2. The flight model needs a tweak.

3. Simply that this is the way it is supposed to work.

I would still like to know about the curves and the strange drop down box values though. The manual doesn't mention them.

i also have a t16000m. are you using TARGET and could you give me idea where to go to find out more on how to do this?

also do you find the physical joystick motion is a bit bumpy when moving? i have that but was wondering if other t16000m users have it.

and on topic.

i have deadzone set 0. x and y axis bar set to 2 fifths and sensitivity set to 1.9. that way i make small mevements without having to oversteer too much.

The curve box on the top of axis control indicated as follow:

1. Middle point: no curve.

2. Slide between middle and the left: low curve.

3. Slide between middle to the right: high curve.

The values next to the null slide '1.0, 1.2, 1.5, 1.9, 2.4, 3.0'. give you the ratio of joystick input to actual output of the helo control. 1.0 represent 1:1, 1.2 represent 1:2 and so on.

Hope this answer your questions and correct me if I'm wrong.

I do to have the same questions from the beginning but finally figured it out.

I don't know the answer to that! I don't think my problems are sensitivity related though. I think it's one of the following;

1. The internal mappings in the game are not working properly.

2. The flight model needs a tweak.

3. Simply that this is the way it is supposed to work.

I would still like to know about the curves and the strange drop down box values though. The manual doesn't mention them.

i also have a t16000m. are you using TARGET and could you give me idea where to go to find out more on how to do this?

also do you find the physical joystick motion is a bit bumpy when moving? i have that but was wondering if other t16000m users have it.

and on topic.

i have deadzone set 0. x and y axis bar set to 2 fifths and sensitivity set to 1.9. that way i make small mevements without having to oversteer too much.

I have no problem with my T16000m

Yes I use Target for the script.

Here is the code to change your sensitivity on the fly :yay:

MapKey(&T16000, H1L, SEQ(CHAIN(EXEC("curvevalueX = curvevalueX + 1;"), EXEC("SetSCurve(&T16000, JOYX, 0, 0, 0, curvevalueX, 0);")), CHAIN(EXEC("curvevalueY = curvevalueY + 1;"), EXEC("SetSCurve(&T16000, JOYY, 0, 0, 0, curvevalueY, 0);"))));

MapKey(&T16000, H1R, SEQ(CHAIN(EXEC("curvevalueX = curvevalueX - 1;"), EXEC("SetSCurve(&T16000, JOYX, 0, 0, 0, curvevalueX, 0);")), CHAIN(EXEC("curvevalueY = curvevalueY - 1;"), EXEC("SetSCurve(&T16000, JOYY, 0, 0, 0, curvevalueY, 0);"))));

The values next to the null slide '1.0, 1.2, 1.5, 1.9, 2.4, 3.0'. give you the ratio of joystick input to actual output of the helo control. 1.0 represent 1:1, 1.2 represent 1:2 and so on.

Thanks for the explanation. So these values then increase sensitivity by factors? I might try this then as I like to play with the joystick on full Force Feedback (i.e very strong spring position) but sometimes it means fighting against it if I have to make a strong manouver. By applying the 1.5 factor I presumably get a bigger response from a small movement.

One thing I did was kill headbob and wind.

Eliminate those as issues then move on to your hardware.

In my case one of those or even both were really ruining the way the heli responded. They do not model either very well anyways so just turn them off.

One thing I did was kill headbob and wind.

Eliminate those as issues then move on to your hardware.

In my case one of those or even both were really ruining the way the heli responded. They do not model either very well anyways so just turn them off.

Headbob is off - learn't that from Arma. I have wind on for the moment, but have tried it with it off and it makes no difference. Anyway, I am playing with auto-trim on for now as I think it's just too hard without and I would just get frustrated with it!

I have wind on for the moment, but have tried it with it off and it makes no difference.

Actually that's not true. Sure, a bit of wind is nothing to worry about but when you fly in bad weather between the skyscrapers in Seattle it's very noticeable. There is a government contract that is very difficult because of strong wind. I'm not able to finish it without auto-hover and believe me I tried. I found the very difficult mission 08 in the career to be easier than that.

Actually that's not true. Sure, a bit of wind is nothing to worry about but when you fly in bad weather between the skyscrapers in Seattle it's very noticeable. There is a government contract that is very difficult because of strong wind. I'm not able to finish it without auto-hover and believe me I tried. I found the very difficult mission 08 in the career to be easier than that.

Damn, already typed a reply before the forum went down! Anyways...

I did not make myself clear enough, so apologies. The wind DOES make a difference as you rightly state. It is just that I cannot control the chopper without auto-trim regardless of whether the wind is on or off!! I am not using auto-hover and I quite like the challenge the wind effect has on landing.

Without auto-trim I cannot fly the light at all - I am hoping that the flight model improvements in the next patch combined with a lot more practice will help this situation!

sorry to disappoint you jedra but if they model torque effect correctly and wind combined with LTE (loss of tail rotor effectiveness, has 3 different types, main rotor disc interference, weathercock stability and tail rotor vortex ring state) at all it'll be 3 or 4 times harder to fly witout autotrim then. you'll be constantly adjusting your pedals to keep a straight heading when hovering. maybe they won't go into such details though so who knows =D.

sorry to disappoint you jedra but if they model torque effect correctly and wind combined with LTE (loss of tail rotor effectiveness, has 3 different types, main rotor disc interference, weathercock stability and tail rotor vortex ring state) at all it'll be 3 or 4 times harder to fly witout autotrim then. you'll be constantly adjusting your pedals to keep a straight heading when hovering. maybe they won't go into such details though so who knows =D.

lol - in that case I will keep auto-trim on! Took me long enough to learn how to land with it on! I want to keep the balance between challenge and fun more on the fun side I think otherwise there would be a G940 shaped hole in my window!!

LOL, once you learn how to hover, the pedal adjustments won't be so bad trust me. i've been flying on computer for maybe 11 years so give yourself some time =D.