Sign in to follow this  
TSonar

Great Sim, but I have a few concerns...

This game is really fun. I pre-ordered it on Steam and got access to the beta, but I have a few questions about the game.

1. Will this game be much more optimized for final release? I exceed well over the recommended requirements for the game and yet it runs poorly on any settings except for low (I think). Between switching med, med-high, high- very high, very high my FPS is still around the same low rate under 30.

2. Will the final release support SLI? I only exceed the required graphics card if my SLI is enabled. I have a GTX 295, which basically has two 896 MB GPUs. The problem is, when games don't utilize SLI, only one GPU of my card is read.

That's it really. Thanks!

1. What kind of CPU? How much GHz? This game needs a decent CPU to run at high settings.

2. Try renaming the TakeOnH.exe to arma2oa.exe

Also a SSD makes things run smoother (you won't get more fps but small stutter is no longer a problem).

I'm playing with these settings and get 25-40fps with the PC in my sig. All BIS games are installed on a Vertex 2 120GB

Edited by Derbysieger

1. What kind of CPU? How much GHz? This game needs a decent CPU to run at high settings.

2. Try renaming the TakeOnH.exe to arma2oa.exe

Also a SSD makes things run smoother (you won't get more fps but small stutter is no longer a problem).

I'm playing with these settings and get 25-40fps with the PC in my sig. All BIS games are installed on a Vertex 2 120GB

Here, I'll post my full rig to avoid any future questions.

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 2.67 GHz (8 CPUs)

Memory: 6144 MB

Graphics card: GeForce GTX 295 ( 896MB per GPU, possible 1796 max VRAM)

Games that "support" SLI are nothing more than pre configured "optmized" profiles for the software to utilize... If it don't have one, just optimize it thru trial and error. SLI is enabled if you have SLI enabled, you just have to define it to work a certain way for that application.. Enjoy! :D

PS. you configure it in your driver control panel, applications settings.... Do your homework! And be careful...

1. Will this game be much more optimized for final release? I exceed well over the recommended requirements for the game and yet it runs poorly on any settings except for low (I think). Between switching med, med-high, high- very high, very high my FPS is still around the same low rate under 30.

Can you post a screenshot of your video settings?

Just in general: view distance and object distance are very heavy on any system. Make sure you do not maximize those settings. Video memory should be set to Default. Also, like mentioned before, CPU is one of the most important parts for this engine, especially the clock speed.

Btw, an FPS just under 30 is fine right? I usually have FPS of about 15~20 and it's still fluent.

Btw, an FPS just under 30 is fine right? I usually have FPS of about 15~20 and it's still fluent.

20 is cool mate and please lets not get people hijacking this thread saying that you need a gazillion fps to run the game smoothly...

If 20 fps is ok for me and others then 20 fps is ok...

My rig is inferior to yours but runs actually quite smoothly on my graphics settings. Perhaps you just need to back the view distance off a little bit, or turn down post processing?

Here, I'll post my full rig to avoid any future questions.

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 2.67 GHz (8 CPUs)

Memory: 6144 MB

Graphics card: GeForce GTX 295 ( 896MB per GPU, possible 1796 max VRAM)

Your CPU just is not fast enough to render high viewdistances. The best thing you can do to improve performance without changing graphicsettings is to overclock it. I did a test about a week ago. I loaded the default settings in my BIOS and then started TOH. Guess what - with the settings I posted the game was unplayable. Only with about half that viewdistance and some settings turned down a bit it was playable again.

If your mainboard and RAM isn't utter crap 3.4 - 3.8GHz shouldn't be a problem with a decent heatsink. Just read a bit about overclocking and do your OC in small steps. You will be able to play with way higher settings than now fairly smooth.

Also I strongly recommend a SSD for all games from BI

Cheers ;)

CPU speed is the main Problem! 2.67ghz just won't cut it. Any BIS game running their engine needs 3ghz or more to get smooth play. It's a complex sim in many repects and needs allot of cpu speed. I have a dual core X6800 OC to 3.4ghz and I run the thing at high setting, no post pro... and if I try to run it at the stock cpu speed of 2.93ghz then I see a HUGE drop in performance. I also have the GTX295 dual PCB GPU.

3.4ghz or higher with at least four cores is the best you can do for yourself.

@Ajax420, mate sorry but you are talking shite. I have an I5 750 running at 2.67ghz and I run Arma2 on very high settings mainly and get ~ 30 fps on any mission I play. In the E08 benchmark I hit 38 fps with the same settings.

Well, very high doesn't say much. It's all about viewdistance, object viewdistance and object detail. If I reduce these I'm able to play the game on my i7 @ stock settings fairly good. But in a flightsim game viewdistance is more important than in a game that simulates mainly infantry combat.

I play Arma 2 with very high settings (except pp and aa) and a viewdistance of 5000m on Takistan (Full HD, 3D res at 114%) and normal - high settings and a viewdistance of 4000m on Chernarus (Full HD, 3D res 114%). I get about 25fps with that (for flying helicopters and planes I reduce the settings to normal-high/low-high and set VD up to 10k).

In Take On Helicopters I'm not satisfied with 4000m or 5000m viewdistance. And you need a powerfull CPU to play with 12k VD. So yeah it's true 2.67GHz just won't cut it.

Edited by Derbysieger

I take your point there Derby but I still stand by my statement above but we'll see. :D

I take your point there Derby but I still stand by my statement above but we'll see. :D

Get that i5 of your overclocked, you will get some major draw distance improvements out of it.

Pretty sick I went i7 and not i5 route when I first built my current PC, even 4.2GHz on an i7 isn't enough for the sort of draw distance I would like.

That GTX295 will only ever have 896MB of VRAM, SLi uses both sets of memory in parrallel so multiplying it deosn't count. You would probably be better only using High on the GFX memory setting as well.

ToH runs SLi fine, I constantly have EVGA Precision running and both cards are pretty well evenly loaded.

CPU speed is the main Problem! 2.67ghz just won't cut it. Any BIS game running their engine needs 3ghz or more to get smooth play. It's a complex sim in many repects and needs allot of cpu speed. I have a dual core X6800 OC to 3.4ghz and I run the thing at high setting, no post pro... and if I try to run it at the stock cpu speed of 2.93ghz then I see a HUGE drop in performance. I also have the GTX295 dual PCB GPU.

3.4ghz or higher with at least four cores is the best you can do for yourself.

Oh dear, are we back to comparing CPU speed in Mhz again? :rolleyes:

I have a old I7 920 @ 2.7 with a 5870 gig card and surprised at how well the sim runs. Its a heli sim,low and slow so you do not need FSX type 50 to a hundred mile visibilties. Least I do not. Also I get BETTER performance actually turning the cards settings to let program decide and in the sim crank the graphics quality settings up. Like most sims sometimes you need to go against what seems to make sense and experiment. So grab a notebook/pencil and do a organized settings tweakfest.

In my case turning the vis settings down,the post proc off,shadows down and everything else up related to quality were my magic settinng.

It would be a good sticky to start a thread dedicated to nothing but users posting their settings and what does/does not work for them.

Edit- For example. Did some changes and noticed I had stutters and lower fps. I run Trackir and had enabled freelook. That really did a number on my performance. Disabled freelook and the sim smoothed out and sped up.

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of these totally unrealistic sounds of nature. I mean cmon.... I can hear a seagull crying while I am at 3 grand doing 120k in a H-500 with a headset on. Dont stink so.

Edited by JIMJAM