Sign in to follow this  
dgrrr

How command heli pilot to land at a certain spot?

If I'm on the ground, or in a helicopter, and my squadmate is in a DIFFERENT helicopter, How do I get him to land his helicopter at a particular place?

The only way I've found to do it is to get him to fly TOWARD the spot, and about 10 seconds before he's due to fly over the spot, I commadn him to disembark the vehicle. Then he slows down, and lands, which puts him in the general area.

But sometimes he overshoots, or worse, he turns and lands elsewhere.

How do I do this?

Also, what are the rules governing what a heli pilot DOES when he gets to a point you've told him to fly to? Sometimes he stops and hovers, other times he keeps on flying past. I haven't found what makes the difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You have to set a landing "H" on the ground where you want the helo to land.

For that click on "Units", then "Empty", followed by "Objects". If you scroll down the list you find H and H invisible. I`d suggest, you should take the invisible one.

Place it where you want the helo to land, then you can set a WP directly onto that H.

I could be wrong, but if he just wanted helo to land, he would have posted this in the editing forum.

But the point is, how do you COMMAND someone to land?

And wasn't the heli in your group? confused.gif

Then a wp wouldn't work.

I think that when you order your squadmate to disembard from a chopper, he lands to the nearest safe spot with flat enough land for the chopper not to start sliding around.

I have noticed this same thing too.

It makes for some very difficult pin-point insertions using AI pilots if you are playing a mission and need to suddenly put it down specifically somewhere. I find that if you give the pilot alot of room to land, like in a big open area, then he will land more accurately.

Also, you mentioned that he sometimes passes the location instead of stopping.

I finally figured out why this happens.

It is when the AI percieves an enemy "threat" that he will not stop in a given location. Just pass it up or circle it or whatnot.

If you kill or destroy the threat, he will then move to and stop and a location you give him.

But he will still have trouble landing directly on your spot unless there is alot of clear open room free of buildings and trees and stuff.

This is also why I suggested, and still do suggest implementing "fast roping" into a drop zone from a heli.

This way, your AI pilot can drop you men directly onto a spot regardless of what the terrain on the ground is like.

He will not need to fly around to find a good place to land. He will just stop at your point, and when he stops, he will let the ropes slide down, and the men will flow out like til they all hit the ground. And then the helo can be on it's way, or go to park elsewhere.

Heck, if this was implemented, you could drop your men off onto the side of a steep hill!

Think about this people. This SHOULD be implemented. It would be VERY useful, as would my idea about doodling on the map.

but Ice the way the AI parachutes (frequently ram eachother during jump because they jumped too soon) the rope would get cluttered and everyone would crash into eachother!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ May 31 2002,15:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that when you order your squadmate to disembard from a chopper, he lands to the nearest safe spot with flat enough land for the chopper not to start sliding around.<span id='postcolor'>

the AI needs three times more room than competent player pilots to land...sadly

is that tweekable you think?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ May 31 2002,06:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

It is when the AI percieves an enemy "threat" that he will not stop in a given location.  Just pass it up or circle it or whatnot.

If you kill or destroy the threat, he will then move to and stop and a location you give him.

<Snip><span id='postcolor'>

I think you can fix that by changing the pilot's combat mode to 'Safe'.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ May 31 2002,19:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ May 31 2002,06:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

It is when the AI percieves an enemy "threat" that he will not stop in a given location. Just pass it up or circle it or whatnot.

<Snip><span id='postcolor'>

I think you can fix that by changing the pilot's combat mode to 'Safe'.<span id='postcolor'>

Mister, You are right. Also, If you are to close to were you order your heli to land (as a unit) The helo will move around like a drunk. (if you want to see what I mean..Place a Landing heli very close to a unit or under him (The Heli thats landing..and watch it do funny things) Also, If your in building a mission were you know the battle is going on and you'll need extraction..Just place the LZ with an Invisible pad close by for it to land.