Sign in to follow this  
blurgh

I can't get arma 2 and eyefinity to work properly

arma 2 with 3 projectors

Way too distorted….would be great if they could sort that out..

I had a similar problem, just got a 1920x1080 screen (I only use one screen). I changed resolution in the settings to 1920x1080 (100%), and the image was stretched out vertically, and compressed horizontally. So I looked up the config files noted on page 1, FOV top was 0.75 and FOV left 0.9375. I changed the latter to 1.375, and now the image looks much better.

So first, thanks for that tip, it worked great. Then a few questions: Why doesn't this adjust automatically when you change resolution in the settings? Why do you need to go into a config file? Also, did I calculate this right, is 1.375 for FOV left right for me, or will another number make the image even better?

Edited by Johan S

There is an option in the video options for aspect ratio. If you have a 1080p screen then set this to 16:9.

Hmmm..... I was sure this was set to 16:9 already, but apparently not. I must have missed checking that after plugging in the new screen and changing the resolution. Thanks for pointing it out!! This was obviously the problem.

Questions to the fov. what is fov top and fov left mean? I got eyefinity with 3x 1980x1080 and on the side screens the fov is too heavy, i just want the same (or no) fov on all 3 screens. What do i need to change to get it? Its kind of a strange feeling like when i played my first 3D game (Wolfens....3D) with mouse. I just remember the fov settings for Quake1, but there where only 1 fov level ;)

aspect is tripplescreen, menu and 3D Ress is 5940x1080 (or s.t. like that).

Is "ATI Eyefinity Bezel Compensation" possible with Arma?

I dont get it. What the hell should i do with radians? In my config there is fovTop/fovLeft. ATM top:0.75, left:3. And my screen DONT look like this:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/FOV/TripleheadCompare.jpg

Its more wrapped around on the side screens, on the front monitor it looks good. So a Humvee looks on the front monitor normal, on the left / right monitor like a Pimp Stretch Limo 10m long. Its like the effect other games do also on eyefinity.

when i enable brezel correction and i go up to 6048x1080, the menu's go to the place between the monitors, not completely but a part of the text (mouse wheel action menu) are gone. this is what i meant to ask cause this isnt a good solution.

Here are 2 pics that i took. the "fov" problem isnt visible on these very good but the grafic issues. i have everythink on MAX except AA&AF and nothing limits the game.

PC: 3770K@4,2Ghz / 16GB RAM / 7950@950OC / SSD / 3x27 auf 5760x1080

http://www.abload.de/img/arma2oa_2012_10_13_13umr68.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/arma2oa_2012_10_08_22bcxdh.jpg

this looks really ugly and i dont know why. very wired :(

Since you clearly didn't even bother to read up on the subject you shouldn't really expect any help.

Anyways. I calculated the fov values for you so you, or anyone else who wonder about this, can enjoy some proper multi screen gaming without the stretched picture.

With res 5760x1080 and a desired fov of 90, you get a vertical fov of 22 degrees which is 0.38 radians. So your fovTop value should be: fovTop=0.38;

To figure out how many degrees your fov value is, use this fov calculator: http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

If you use Bezel correction, remember to put in correct resolution numbers.

To convert degrees into radians, simply type 'xx degrees in radians' in google. ( xx = degrees from fov calculator)

Divide fovtop by the last number(9) in your aspect ratio (48:9) and multiply with the first(48). 0.38 / 9 = 0,42

0,42 * 48 = 2.03 That is your fovleft value: fovLeft=2.03;

Add those two values to your '*yournickname*ArmA2OAProfile' text file in the 'arma 2 other profiles' folder in my documents.

When you enter the advanced video options in game, your aspect ratio should read 'custom'. Do not change that to any of the default values.

If you add bezel correction or want wider/narrower fov, you need to recalculate your fov values.

Edited by Bullet Purveyor

Hey Bullet. Thanks a lot, this helped me a lot and everyone with eyefinity should thank you ;) Im new and i didnt find anythink about it on arma2 forums but its nice to have guys like you on the board!

I calculated the numbers again cause with 0.38/2.03 the menus where a bit thinner then normal. So the better numbers are (still not perfect but looks on the first look good):

fovTop=0.38397244;

fovLeft=2.047853;

BUT, i still dont get it why there is still streching :(

http://www.abload.de/img/tankmiddlescreen6gxll.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/tanksidescreen72zv1.jpg

I just turned right. The tank on the first picture is still 2-3cm within the middle monitor, on the 2nd picture the tank is 2-3cm outside the left monitor.

Hehe, look at the G36, it fills now my hole 27" on the right screen ;)

Beside that, you dont know why the bushes, grass and other textures looks so crap by any chance on the first 2 pictures i posted? Look at the tank textures :-(

Im using nvidia surround and bezel correction in ARMA2 with good success (when i get surround configured from the Nvidia control panel), and when it works its wonderful. resolution is 5760+140 bezel correction = 1200 x 6100. I also much prefer the 'experience' with the bezel correction on.

Only drawback is the position of the action menu items, which shows up mostly hidden behind the left bezel. Does anyone know of a fix for this (moving it x pixels to the right for example). ??

Take a look@your profile. Try this perhaps:

uiTopLeftX=0.42166668;

uiTopLeftY=0.26499999;

uiBottomRightX=0.57833332;

uiBottomRightY=0.73500001;

I dont enable brezel atm. On what settings do you play? Did you see my (first two) screenshots? I dont know why the grafics looks soo ugly.

Yes, that worked, eventually. Only setting i changed was the first.

Got a reasonable compromise with the uiTopLeftX. Cheers for the heads up. Cant help with the quality issue, as my rig is different, but i am a little disappointed in the textures with my new nvidia, over my old ATI.

Been looking at the posts above, and I'd like to throw in my take on it.

1. The FovTop (FT) and FovLeft (FL) go hand in hand FT/FL = your total horizontal pixels / vertical pixels. e g. 4/0.8 = 6100 / 1200 (in my case).

2. The higher these values, the more info is on the screen, a bit like zooming out on your family photo, to get more people in.

3. Start with 3 or 4 as the FT, then work out the FL, and thumb it in. Higher values might reduce the 'stretching' but i guess will impact on FPS.

4. Include the bezel pixels in the horizontal total pixels if you are using it (i recomend you do).

5. Trick around with uiTopLeftX, to display the action menus away from the Bezel (larger value moves them to the right). Check the menu in the mission editor too.

6. During testing, make the profile file 'read only' so arma does not overwrite your changes.

7. A scoped weapon is a good measure you have it correct. The circle should be a perfect circle.

Both of the images below have the same aspect ratio, but the FOV is different.

FT=3 FL=0.65 (6100 x 1200)

http://ghostsofp.com/Images/FOV3.jpg (1047 kB)

FT=3 FL=0.8

http://ghostsofp.com/Images/FOV4.jpg (1020 kB)

FT=1.2 FL=0.75 (16:10, 1920x1200)

http://ghostsofp.com/Images/FOV12.jpg

UPDATE

Gave up on 'bezel' correction resolution's with ARMA. Could not get all the various menu's and widgets (e.g. GPS) to consistently display in between the bezel. would need better configuraiton options, since differnt bezel's will be differenig widths.

Edited by Fish44

Hmm i just dont get it how to make it "normal" :( I just want to have the middle screen like i had when i used 1 monitor and on the left/right screen there should be additional content. Like e.g. in Torchlight 2 i have the normal screen in the middle and on the others i see more of the game (level). Or like in rFactor racing game that my front monitor is the windscreen and the l/r monitor are the side windows. Like a Cockpit that can simulate 360° if i had 20Monitors to stand around me. My left/right monitor stands with an descent angle to the middle.

Hi Numrollen,

I guess im not seeing it like you are. I put another image in the post above, its a single screen equivalent (almost) to the TF=4, wide screen. if you compare these, you can clearly see the additional content left and right. I agree about the 'stretching' as the image gets closer to the screen edges. I guess that its an attempt at portraying a 3d image onto a flat surface, and there's got to be compromises made to do that. It also looks like the image is streached from the center to the sides, but you only notice it when the resolution gets wide enough.

The problem it creates can be see if you stand close to a fence and look up along it with the infinity point in the center of the center monitor. On the front monitor the line from the infinity point nicely past the bezel. On the side monitor it comes from another infinity point, and appears to be much closer to you. Would be interesting to see how this looks of all the monitors were in the same plane, like a single very wide flat monitor. And maybe that's how its scaled. Would be interesting to hear a developers take on this.

For me, its an immersive experience anyhow, and i use TIR for ARMA, both vehicles and infantry in surround, so I rarely look directly at the side screens, and they only constitute my peripheral vision. So the side monitors are not designed to be like looking out the side window of a car, so it cant be compared with a racing game.

This technology is still in an early phase, and i'm sure we'll see a maturing of it in the short term, as the prices of monitors comes' down, and the power of graphics goes up. What i would like to see is more main game options allowing better configuring multi monitors to suit the users preferences, but we can only hope and wait.

Hmm, Not sure how many use matrox for gaming now. For Nvidia and AMD (and maybe even windows is at fault also, not to mention how each of the game companies implement it), the technology is still immature. This site is a good barometer for the issues people are experiencing with wide screen setups.http://www.wsgf.org/

not sure about gaming, but knew quite notable number of stock traders, relying on Matrox multi-head setup[stations i saw working in 2x2 output]nowdays.

but they [sloowly]moving to AMD, not because IQ improvements, but Hydravision feats[nearly comparable to in-house made counterpart].

not much competition/choices on GFX market today, sadly, even my favorite vendor/arch completely cannibalized, ie PowerVR.

BTW. Fov90 isnt very good after some days of testing with this calculation. I still have streching and i dont see things like the compass (i just see top 10% of it). I will try now with FOV 90 (still 5760x1080) and multiply the values with x1.5.

fovTop=0.57595866;

fovLeft=3.0717795;

So, any idea what fovTOP do an what fovLeft do? fovTop is the zoom factor and fovleft is what i see on the sidescreens? The only thing i notice since i changes the values around (fov60, fov60x2...) that i am more and more zoomed in then the original values. Since my values that i now have are near the standardvalues i only have a bit more zoomed view cause the compass is still a little cut off.

Just another node here. After 2 and 1/2 of testing i like the fov settings i postet in my last post. BUT i think i will go back to normal settings. All other fov settings then normal causes some problems that i dont know how to fix.

compass is only 3/4 visible at the bottom of the screen

at maps (m) the gps, watch, walkie-talkie and compass are there but i cant click them where they are. i need to go with the strech, my gps clickable area is 3cm right and 2cm lower then the visible gps. So there is no way i can click them exactly. A bit of a problem if the map offers special options e.g. in the radio menü

90 was just an example. just try with different values in the Fov calculator. Personally I use 110.

The stretching i was talking about in my earlier post was the wrong aspect ratio you where running. That makes objects look out of shape.

You can see this in the video settings in game, at the top you have a grey circle and square. If you have wrong aspect ratio the square will appear rectangular and the circle will appear elliptic.

Just like it is in the picture you posted here: http://www.abload.de/img/arma2oa_2012_10_13_13umr68.jpg

If you calculate the fov values according to my previous post you will see a proper circle and square.

The stretching on the side of the screen is a another issue. That is how computer games are made. Because you try to perceive the game world through a very small window aka your monitor, they use different scaling solutions to cram more info on to your screen. It looks sort of like a fish eye effect on cameras. The higher field of view the more info on your screen, but it will also give you a more distorted picture. Stretched at the sides and in the middle objects will look much further away then they really are.

If you hold down right mouse button (a real time function to decrease fov) in arma. You will have a more correct 1:1 scale of you surroundings making it easier to estimate range and size of objects, but you will also lose a lot of your peripheral vision.

Low fov value = more realistic view scale, less picture distortion, very little peripheral vision

high fov value = less realistic view scale, more picture distortion, better peripheral vision

Experiment with fov values and see what suits you best.

Im using nvidia surround and bezel correction in ARMA2 with good success (when i get surround configured from the Nvidia control panel), and when it works its wonderful. resolution is 5760+140 bezel correction = 1200 x 6100. I also much prefer the 'experience' with the bezel correction on.

Only drawback is the position of the action menu items, which shows up mostly hidden behind the left bezel. Does anyone know of a fix for this (moving it x pixels to the right for example). ??

With the new Nvidia drivers you can press ctrl+alt+b and switch between normal and bezel corrected resolution. Very handy in games that dosen't have UI customized to 3 screens with bezel correction.

Edited by Bullet Purveyor

I did it like you said (look@ #37), the screenshot you linked is before i tried different fov settings, this was Arma2 vanilla aspect settings :) Dont know why the fov settings arent pefect (arma2 and perfect hmmm...).

All looks okay (beside the side monitor streching and the grafic errors), but i CANT click directly on GPS anymore and all other stuff when i'm on the map. This is my problem and i think this isnt aspect related.

What are your settings? Perhaps i can try them. My energy is really low

Edited by Numrollen

When i was playing with eye infinity, i hadn't played with FOV levels, but the way i got it to look good was just to have all the screens act as 1 large screen, this meant that the Far edges came into perspective correctly. Playing with the correct FOV might allow you to have the screen angled, but i have a large desk so i was more than happy to just shift the screens a little.