Sign in to follow this  
walker

Japan Earth Quake caused Ice to Crack off Antarctica

Hi all

A NASA survey has found that the Japanese Earthquake Tsunami caused Icebergs the size of manhattan to crack off Antarctica

GL5gVPoz-uE

Kind Regards walker

When the Tsunami in Indonesia occurred I immediately called family who were on holiday in Kenya and told them to get off the beach. I had read reports of tsunamis crossing oceans (Chile to New Zealand) but at that time it was not common knowledge. They warned friends and they were laughed at and told it wasn't possible. 6 hours later people were killed in Somalia to the north and Kenya suffered a large surge and swell along the coast that luckily didn't do any damage and no lives were lost. It's amazing how small this planet can become!

This planet is actually VERY small if you think about it. I believe it can take less than a day just to fly around it. Even volcanos in the US can affect people in Europe. If the supervolcano in Yellostone Park erupted then were all screwed.

oh so thats why the sea was cold when i went swimming in it, always thought it would be the same temperature as the swimming pool

This planet is actually VERY small if you think about it. I believe it can take less than a day just to fly around it. Even volcanos in the US can affect people in Europe. If the supervolcano in Yellostone Park erupted then were all screwed.
No, it doesn't, unless you are:

A - flying at Mach 2 (though you'd run out of fuel)

B - in space (it takes roughly 90 minutes to orbit the Earth once)

This planet is actually VERY small if you think about it. I believe it can take less than a day just to fly around it.

Make that two days, you have to include the date-separation line there. That one lies within the Bering Strait about dead-center between Siberia and Alaska.. :p

To be ontopic: I do wonder what will happen with all that fresh-water slowly melting, and being mixed with the predominant mass of salt-water.. What does such break-off do to the local current conditions?

What I mean to say is, can this iceberg the size of Manhattan island generate a tsunami whilst it has dropped into the sea? Even whilst top-surface visible waves may have died out as distance from place of origin grows, what does the ocean-floor under current do having been dealt a new directional force caused by falling mass?

And what is the newly chipped off ice-island gonna do to local oceanic currents? It can change the weather-patterns, as it is a local refridgirator being a drift.. I certainly do have a feeling we haven't heard the last of this one yet, and perhaps people may not link later events to this one, but I do..

Edited by Thani '82

B - in space (it takes roughly 90 minutes to orbit the Earth once)

No it doesn't, unless you are:

A - orbiting only at 250km altitude

No it doesn't, unless you are:

A - orbiting only at 250km altitude

Which is where most manned spacecraft orbit.