Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

Bush's Temporary Beginners Setup Tutorial

*EDIT* Download Removed from this temporary release...

The Full Version is now available!...

B

As a few of you may have noticed, I released a few little demo terrains recently, along with a promise to also release the source files for them.

Since they were demo files, I figured I'd write a short one-introduction-fits-all basic guide to the various files... Instructions on how to repath & rename everything really, combined with a bit of explanation of each file...

While I was trying to get started on that I noticed I was getting quite a lot of PM's with basic tutorial/setup questions - similar posts also turning up in here in the Forums and on the Mapmakers Skype channel... I decided it might be a good idea to add a little "initial setup" section...

Since I was going to recommend Sgt Ace's Tutorial - as usual, I went back to read thru it again and... some of it is a bit out of date! - just the initial setup section...

I also figured that if I was going to recommend Mikero's Arma2P then I'd better have a go at that too.... that all worked out pretty well and I've now finished that section of my terrains guide... on to writing about what I intended to write about in the first place!... Finally...

So that Thread should happen once I write that second part....

However - I'm now a bit wary of simply telling people to "Go Do Sgt Ace's Tutorial!" - I did, and it told me to use Arma2OA.exe as buldozer, swap my BIN folder around, etc...

Us Old Pros can smile and say "Yeah, we used to do that" but for beginners stumbling blindly into that it can spell Major Discouragement!

The time for getting Deeply Discouraged shouldn't be before you even get the tools installed! - that's supposed to happen after you start your First totally over-ambitious project! ;)

So... in an attempt to stem the flood of basic questions, I'm going to confuse everybody by releasing an interim version of my Source Files Guide...

This is confusing because...

The Source Files aren't released yet

Even if they were, the Guide barely mentions them... :D

What IS complete however is the whole introductory section... this starts with basic downloads - installing the tools (With reference to Sgt Ace's Tut), configuring the P:\ drive with Arma2P - back to Sgt Ace's Tut at the appropriate point so beginners definitely do the main tutorial itself, then back to the guide for some more advanced Buldozer and Visitor configuring...

and then it just stops... 'cause the source files bit comes next - I've cropped all of that out of this version because currently it's a jumble of fragments of chunks I need to finish and put in order...

That'll happen soonish - along with the sources...

So - meantime... once again.... this is an INTERIM BEGINNERS GUIDE ONLY for now...

As soon as I complete the rest of the guide I'll post the full version along with source files in a separate thread and ask a mod to close this one down...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Good job mate help 100 % , i wait with anxiety the guide for the landscapes

Excelent effort Bush! Congratulations!!!

Also I would like to recommend "Shezan's World Tools" for those who really want to make big stuff with not much pain...

And Notepad++ is ok for all renaming, scripting and coding stuff... and it's free as a bird, you know... cheers!

Good work bush, is you need any help with any info gathering, feel free to ask and I am sure I can give you some info. (or maybe a sample map that they can put together from parts as a learning experience)

Wow

Big thumbs-up Bushlurker ..... youre a shining star in this corner of the world !