Sign in to follow this  
pendragonuk

For Dummies

I always treat newbs respectfully and acknowledge ArmA's shortcomings. But really, framerate princesses deserve to be demonized.

Take special note of the part "people see things differently, including frame rate". It's been empirically proven that whereas some people see no difference in smoothness between the frame rates, others see 60 fps as barely decent.

Edited by Celery

Take special note of the part "people see things differently, including frame rate". It's been empirically proven that whereas some people see no difference in smoothness between the frame rates, others see 60 fps as barely decent.

Having a more discerning eye doesn't make you less able to use the controls at 30fps than a person who sees no difference. And seeing a higher framerate doesn't make the lower framerate any more unbearable than TF2 is after Crysis.

And whining about framerate is really a symptom of hardware e-peen 90% of the time anyways.

Having a more discerning eye doesn't make you less able to use the controls at 30fps than a person who sees no difference. And seeing a higher framerate doesn't make the lower framerate any more unbearable than TF2 is after Crysis.

And whining about framerate is really a symptom of hardware e-peen 90% of the time anyways.

Well that's the thing, isn't it? You see frame rates your way, so it's difficult for you to imagine how someone else might see them and suspect that they're only stroking their electronic penises. I'm pretty sure that a high fps person can control the game just as well, but he sees the motion as non-fluid, and therefore his eyes are under more stress than someone with slower eyes/brain.

Well that's the thing, isn't it? You see frame rates your way, so it's difficult for you to imagine how someone else might see them and suspect that they're only stroking their electronic penises. I'm pretty sure that a high fps person can control the game just as well, but he sees the motion as non-fluid, and therefore his eyes are under more stress than someone with slower eyes/brain.

I'm fairly sure his eyes are not under as much stress as I am with average 14fps, so I am hard-pressed to sympathize.

I'm fairly sure his eyes are not under as much stress as I am with average 14fps, so I am hard-pressed to sympathize.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. That because your eyes strain at 14 fps, his choppy experience with 30 fps becomes void? That because you have a shitty PC, anyone with a better one who complains is a spoiled dickweed?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. That because your eyes strain at 14 fps, his choppy experience with 30 fps becomes void? That because you have a shitty PC, anyone with a better one who complains is a spoiled dickweed?

My eyes don't strain, actually and I don't complain. This is because I have learned to play the game with unusual hardware. People with unusual eyes are likewise capable of learning to play the game, and expecting games of different genres at all different levels of the market to conform to your highly personal expectations is pointless. So I prefer it when they don't complain, because the majority of them aren't optical wunderkind, just more of the hardware fetishists that dominate most internet PC gaming communities. I don't want to sound envious, as I have owned some very expensive computers, but that's I see it.

This seems a bit like defending consoletards who insist on playing on the couch as special people with sensitive asses.

Those who can see the difference between high frame rates are normal people and there are more of them than you're probably aware of. Basically anyone who can't watch 3d movies because of experienced flickering and subsequent nausea can be one of them, and there are lots. 30 fps just doesn't look good for them and their eyes strain because they distinguish the skipping of the motion between each frame below a certain frame rate. Incidentally, the frame rate of 3d movies is 48 or 60, that's 24-30 per eye.

For me, that rate is probably somewhere around 85, because that was the refresh rate of my old monitor and full fps seemed really smooth unlike the current maximum. The inadequacy of 60 fps is especially evident in games with fast moving basic shapes such as the BIT.TRIP series where a single shape becomes a messy trail of multiple shapes, and the effect is amplified by the LCD screen's ghosting.

The argument that 30 fps is enough for everyone because Arma 2 isn't CoD is simply erroneous. It might be enough for some, but that doesn't make it any more enough for others.

Edited by Celery

I think most of the fps / control issues are down to the stiffness of certain animations in ArmA, making ppl feel like their virtual body is holding them back.

Esp when coming from other games where you can roam around freely on a single keypress.

What about BIS creating an advanced ARMA mission editing/Arma Modding pack for dummies? something like a collection of DVDs with step by step video tutorials, etc?

I guess BIS would sell these like doughnuts.

You, mean something like this? ;)

9074.jpg

well, that looks interesting, but i am looking for something a bit more user-friendly.

I often search in forums (hours and hours daily for years), that is why I am writting here, hehe, but the most of the instructions in forums are aimed for people with more than decent IT -skills (like the chosen ones who can create amazing book covers). Not my case; that is why i would be happy to buy a collection of step by step tutorials.

Nice book cover, by the way ;)

Edited by -=Borz=-