Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

unmanned turrets maintaining absolute world bearing.

I notice that when you're the turret operator, when the vehicle turns, the turret maintains it's absolute world orientation (as opposed to maintaining it's vehicle orientation).

Fair enough, it's a game saver.

However, while playing about swapping between the driver & turret position on my own, I find that it still does this somehow. For example I set up the turret to point forward of the vehicle, then drive the vehicle somewhere. If the vehicle was pointing north when I set up the turret, and I then park up the vehicle pointing east, I find that the turret still points north. The turret has been unmanned for the journey.

Design, or bug?

Edited by DMarkwick

I can confirm this behaviour its been like this for quite a while, hardly a feature.

Observing the vehicle from a 3rd person perspective seems to show the turret maintaining a vehicle-relative orientation, but when you use the turret, it changes to world orientation.

horizontal stabilization maybe?

When the position is manned, yes, but unmanned? There is strange activity when swapping between driver & gunner positions, I just did a test where my barrel prevented me from entering a hangar, and yet when I switched to gunner position the barrel was pointing another direction.

What vehicle?

Any of the MBTs, try the M1A1.

Must be horizontal stabilization even when unmanned.

If you try it with the t34 or t55 that don't have stabilization the turret always stays relative to the tank.

Must be horizontal stabilization even when unmanned.

This can't be a realistic feature, imagine driving around in a tank on a crowded street full of trucks and then suddenly your turret points north.

Never said it's realistic or even desirable, just why it might happen in the game.

Same bug on t34 and t55 (ill call it a bug).

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

I tried both T55 and T34 with same result. Go in empty vehicle as gunner and turn turret 90deg, switch to driver and drive/turn 180deg (any deg) and switch back to gunner and turret will be in totally other pos than it was when you were in the driver pos.

Wow, is there a ticket for this?

And dorph your avatar is scaring the sh** out of me.

I can confirm this too for most if not all armored vehicles, sometimes the turret turns as much as 180degrees. Although i always balmed it for desync or lag.

What bugs me bit more though is if you select HE rounds and and move the vehicle ( basicaly once u leave the main gun) the ammunition loaded changes to default SP, same for any other vehicles

I created a ticket about this not long After OA's release

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/13110

It does my head in.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I really would like more of these kinds of bugs fixed than AI tweaks. And I happen to play vs AI every time I play.

These kind of direct player interaction bugs are far more important (and annoying) than any AI "problems"..in my opinion of course. :)

Edited by -=seany=-

And dorph your avatar is scaring the sh** out of me.

Looks like Hoggle to me :)

Looks like Hoggle to me :)

Your right, I have been wondering that for ages. I asked him (Dorph), but the bugger wouldn't say. :p

Your right, I have been wondering that for ages. I asked him (Dorph), but the bugger wouldn't say. :p

Typical gnome.