Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Bioshock Infinite

Yup I agree with a lot of that, pretty average the whole way through and just feels like a chore now to complete it, so many tedious boss battles it's unreal.

Compared to the 1st Bioshock or the excellent System Shocks 1 and 2, this game is linear and boring.

It does have a few 'moments' but it is not 'perfect' (or even close to perfect) as many reviewers would have you believe.

I've also noticed a trend in the last few years of difficulty being far from what it should be.

I played Bioshock: Infinite on Hard and I found it ridiculously easy.

I heard people saying how hard Handymen were and when the 1st one showed up I was like 'Oh sh!t' but he went down like a bag of dirt.

The whole game was like this - there was barely any challenge at all.

In conclusion, it's a (very) poor man's 'Dishonored'

Edited by BangTail

The plot, setting, and characters made the game; I don't think the combat parts were particularly unique or interesting. I think that the combat parts should have been made much lower key and more focus should have been put on exploring and piecing together the mystery. There's so much to look at and it felt interrupted every time an enemy showed up. It would have made a better adventure/shooter rather than a pure shooter.

Spoilers following:

I wish we'd have seen more of the Luteces in the game, every time they'd show up I simultaneously laughed and then went 'wtf?' - they were great at giving you mixed feelings and wondering what their agenda is.

The Song Bird should have made more appearances. A great concept that you only really saw a few times when instead it should have been hounding the characters throughout the game. It felt really wasted to have this antagonist only used for a few times in the antagonist role.

I realize that they were trying to make a more linear story but I really felt annoyed that I couldn't change the course of certain things:

- Give us the option of heading to Paris instead of New York. It doesn't have to change much but the character development, though it would have been real cool from that point to completely change the course of the game.

- Instead of killing Comstock at the end I wish the choice could have been made to take him off Elizabeth without killing him.

- At the very end give us the option to say 'no, our experiences make us who we are and Comstock was a part of that' and allow a 'happy' ending from there.

In the end I enjoyed it, but I don't think it's the best game I've ever seen. Maybe the best 'interactive movie' I've played thus far.

I am only a quater of the way through but I feel like this is more of a prefab jigsaw puzzle. I got the same feeling that I did when playing Dishonoured, the story is a repetition of every other story like this. A fantasy version of the real world, a cult or religion of stupidity and their played out plot interests, a card board hero and a left hand shoot, right hand magic game mechanic slapped on top.

And, to complete the interchangeable features list with Dishonoured, I am willing to bet the girl is even Booker's daughter just to round it all off.

These games are little more than pretty worlds where the gameplay and story stay the same.

I am only a quater of the way through but I feel like this is more of a prefab jigsaw puzzle. I got the same feeling that I did when playing Dishonoured, the story is a repetition of every other story like this. A fantasy version of the real world, a cult or religion of stupidity and their played out plot interests, a card board hero and a left hand shoot, right hand magic game mechanic slapped on top.

And, to complete the interchangeable features list with Dishonoured, I am willing to bet the girl is even Booker's daughter just to round it all off.

These games are little more than pretty worlds where the gameplay and story stay the same.

I thought Dishonored was a much better game tbh - it allowed a lot more freedom to roam etc.

It was by no means a perfect game but I enjoyed it a lot more than BI.

Now that I have gotten a bit further I am really bored of Columbia already and the endless back tracking just to pad gametime is really obvious and clunky. As for Dishonoured, this is basically a mirror and the writers (if there are any) shouldn't be getting paid for the story -- that would be like someone getting paid to copy and paste Snow White but instead of the dwarfs being miners, they are beauticians.

It isn't all bad, the combat is extremely simple and repetitive but it works, the characters are doing what they need to do (the lead character is a typical Hollywood white guy with a typically murder filled and traumatic background which shows that the game is only going for convention), the plot drags a bit but not so much that the game is unplayable and the setting is typically bathed in Topaz Simplify filtered textures to let the developers get away with not putting any effort in.

The one thing that they must get right in this type of game is the characters, the one thing that has made me ALT-F4 so far is hearing Elizabeth doing the old 'distressed innocent white girl' act, that is typical of a character like her, that involved tugging at the heartstrings over a young girl developing as a character and it being utterly fucking stupid because the voice actor sounds nearer to 30 than 15. That, along side Mr Gravel trying to comfort her was enough to just ruin the only thing the game had left.

I have no care for voice actors who, intermittently, just fuck their performance up.

I'm also looking into this game and it looks really fun. IGN review on youtube said it got stale, and I can see that, but overall it seems a lot different than any other game I've seen and that's why I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it

I am so glad to finally have a proper sequel to Bioshock 1, that great feel and atmosphere that was in 1 is definitely in this game!

I'm doing a lets play of it as we speak: