Sign in to follow this  
nightsta1ker

New Video: Real life flying Part 2

Enjoy. Notice how small the control movements are, especially with the pedals.

SWEET!

Man, you are damn good at those controls. It is awesome how you accelerate to high speeds when only a meter or two above the ground.

If that video doesn't fire people up for ToH, nothing will.

a big thanks! Very very interesting. I hope the devs throw away the deathzone of x-y-axis in the next ToH-update.

Thanks. It was really smooth fly and landings :thumbsup:. And with music it is also nice relaxation video, almost hypnotic.

Thanks for the support guys. I was really hoping to get some good recording of the communications but the port in my GoPro is an audio port OUT, not IN. I need to get a sound recording device and then edit them together as DirtyDeeds suggested. My friend Joey (on the right) was at the controls for most of the flight. I was the one on the left (wearing the helmet).

@OMAC, In a rotorcraft, it is important to stay at a speed/altitude combination that if you experience an engine failure you can execute an autorotation. The height/velocity diagram in each helicopters operator's manual shows you the recommended takeoff profile for the aircraft. In the S300, you need to stay about 15 feet off the deck until you reach 40 knots, then climb, otherwise, you might break the airframe if the engine quit, or worse, you might break your back. Vertical takeoffs and hovering above 5 feet but below 500 ft are rarely performed unless the mission requires it. Operating under those conditions is known as operating in the "Dead Man's Curve" (depicted by the shaded area in the height/velocity diagram).

Sometimes in order to clear obstacles the pilot must bend that envelope a little. It takes a little finesse and a healthy knowledge of the aircraft, the environment, and the pilots own abilities to do it safely.

Edited by nightsta1ker

Excellent info, thanks again. I did see your hand rather nervously go to your stick a few times when your friend was about to make a turn, just in case. He seems pretty comfortable flying.

Edited by OMAC

Excellent info, thanks again. I did see your hand rather nervously go to your stick a few times when your friend was about to make a turn, just in case. He seems pretty comfortable flying.

Actually, I am completely comfortable with him flying. My hand was near the stick because you need to push a button to talk on the intercom and that button happens to be the trigger button on the front of the handle. I kept my hand there so I could make a quick comment if necessary. However, no matter how comfortable I am with someone, I still guard the collective and throttle in a hover, just in case. Even experienced pilots make mistakes and I am the one responsible for that ship when I rent it. Bottom line: If I'm gonna pay for it, it d@mn well better have been MY mistake.

Ha! You said it.

I was wondering what that button was on top of the stick. You did seem to fly faster than your friend at times. Were you practicing landing and hovering on that patch of dead grass next to the runway?

Sometimes I wish fixed wing pilots got to wear helmets without looking stupid :d:

Nice video dude

Ha! You said it.

I was wondering what that button was on top of the stick. You did seem to fly faster than your friend at times. Were you practicing landing and hovering on that patch of dead grass next to the runway?

The button on top is the cyclic trim. It's a motorized spring trim system that enables the pilot to take the control pressure off to reduce fatigue. Not exactly a hands off type function but it makes your arm a little less stiff when you get done, and it helps you keep a desired airspeed.

My friend flies slow. I was encouraging him to fly faster throughout the flight (especially when we were over the water) and to use the trim. It's not his fault, he's a Robinson pilot and they don't fly as nose-low as the Hughes does so his sight picture is different. It takes some getting used to. We also did some toe-in's on the elevated pad area (putting just the front part of your skid on the surface while the helicopter is still mostly off the ground).

---------- Post added at 05:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 AM ----------

Sometimes I wish fixed wing pilots got to wear helmets without looking stupid :d:

Nice video dude

I used to fly fixed wing... why do you think I got into helicopters? Besides, if fixed wing guys had that many spinning parts over their heads all the time then alot more of them would wear helmets.

Thanks once again for taking the time.

Helps a lot to understand the delicateness needed to fly in-game.

What were the other controls that were being adjusted now and again on the dashboard ?

thanks for the ride! I really enjoyed watching your flight.

Enjoy. Notice how small the control movements are, especially with the pedals.

after watching your movements, i think i have my sensitivity too high.

kidding aside, i make way more hand movement on my joystick. :p

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Thanks once again for taking the time.

Helps a lot to understand the delicateness needed to fly in-game.

What were the other controls that were being adjusted now and again on the dashboard ?

Mostly changing radio frequencies. During that flight we went through two controlled airspaces (Boeing and Renton airports) as well as several uncontrolled areas that require monitoring and making radio calls for aircraft separation and safety.

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

-Ziggy-;1973625']thanks for the ride! I really enjoyed watching your flight.

after watching your movements' date=' i think i have my sensitivity too high.

kidding aside, i make way more hand movement on my joystick. :p[/quote']

Are you a righty or a lefty? Wait... Nevermind...:eek:

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Another thing I would like to point everyones attention to is the lack of left pedal in forward flight. Notice how at cruise speed we actually have some right pedal in there to keep in trim. The Vertical stabilizer on the tail is countering all the torque, and then some, so now we need reverse pitch on the tail rotor to counter the vertical stabilizer. Also look how shallow and uneventful our banking is to get an effective turn, with almost no pedal needed. All the yanking and banking I need to do in the TOH demo really contrasts with reality.

" All the yanking and banking I need to do in the TOH demo really contrasts with reality."

Well lets hope it gets better then.

Thanks, thats the sort of information we need!

I'm of to ride my bike for a bit, gonna practice peddling on the spot :D

Awesome video nightsta1ker! I just flew part of the same route in-game, by following the same landmarks :)

Awesome video nightsta1ker! I just flew part of the same route in-game, by following the same landmarks :)

is it possible to get some information at this stage of developement about the future of the horrible deathzone/sensitivity settings in TakeOnHelicopter? (you see it when you look at ingame joystick movement/behavior of fligth reaction in relation to sensitivity setting)

However, its pure fun to fly over Cheranrus & Co :)

Edited by JumpingHubert

Ah back when Pendulum were good... Awesome video nightsta1ker, thanks for sharing.

Don't we have a saying around here?

"No video? Then it didn't happen"! :D

Great video again. The new camera angle really helps demonstrate the control usage. A couple of questions...

1) What's the calculator-like object you have sitting on the map ? :)

2) There seems to be quite a bit of yaw around your heading once you get to altitude (from about 1:45 onwards). Is this turbulence ? Over-control on the pedals ?

I used to fly fixed wing... why do you think I got into helicopters? Besides, if fixed wing guys had that many spinning parts over their heads all the time then alot more of them would wear helmets.

Just so you could wear a helmet? I feel you :D

Great video again. The new camera angle really helps demonstrate the control usage. A couple of questions...

1) What's the calculator-like object you have sitting on the map ? :)

2) There seems to be quite a bit of yaw around your heading once you get to altitude (from about 1:45 onwards). Is this turbulence ? Over-control on the pedals ?

1) It's a chronograph (timer), very handy for timing warm up and cool down periods as well as the length of flight time for fuel and navigation purposes and ESSENTIAL when flying under instrument conditions.

2)Turbulence/dissymmetry of lift in the tail rotor. All helicopters do that. The R22 is particularly notorious for it (watch my R22 flight video on my YouTube page). Fighting it with pedal input will just wear you out (and usually make it worse). My feet barely move on the pedals. Flying helicopters is all about applying PRESSURE on the controls, rather than actually MOVING them. If you move a control a measurable degree you will usually get a drastic response. All the little bouncy wobbles you get in flight go largely ignored or you will wind up "chasing" the aircraft all over the place. Rather, the pilot must observe TRENDS in the flight behavior rather than chase the little ups and downs and yaws. It's really quite a natural and fluid feeling when you are up there though.

Where do you fly at? Im flying up at Harvey field sometimes with snohomish flying service :)

I fly out of Auburn with Airwork LLC. I also fly out of Boeing with Classic Helicopters.

Thanks for sharing, I've never seen anything like that ( the actual pilot input), I'm going to play the TOH preview now and pretend I know how to pilot something other than a lawn tractor. XD.

great video nightsta1ker... i had a couple hundred hours in a 269c after i got out, a lot of fun to fly ;) ...but why are the doors on? :P