Sign in to follow this  
codarl

SP07: "Freedom Fighters" - Unable to get a foothold?!

I've played this mission a few times now, but it's gone insane!

I've got enough time to drive to village number one (Tulga), fast-travel back, conscript five men, fast-travel back to Tulga, spend the rest of my money on static defences, just in time before the entire fucking russian army waltzes over us: Barely five minutes into the game! Just once did I manage to kill all APC's, when the enemy popped up (I swear they must've spawned) right in the middle of the village.

I've played a good deal of OFP, ArmA ArmA2 etc, but this amount of agression is just impossible to defeat. No matter how "guerrilla" you are, in Warfare, you need atleast one village to generate *some* income!

I don't remember it being this tough in vanilla ArmA (where we'd get at least three villages before the russians would show up). Could it be the patches?

You are wasting your time. Freedom Fighters is fatally bugged:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18491

Check out my posts in this thread and feel the frustration, which you now share:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76687

Do yourself a BIG favor and stay away from that scenario as if your life depended on it, at least until Dwarden has patched it. I wasted days and days on it - all for naught. Have you seen the dreaded red x's in the objective list yet?

:j: :eek: :mad: :803: :smiley-punched::hang:

Edited by OMAC

I've shelved this game from the end of 2009 till only a few months ago (release of Reimforcements). So this mission has been broken since the start? that doesn't make sense...

I've beaten it. A few SPG-9s at chokepoints can burn out all those BTRs. The problem is that you haven't destroyed the enemy base during the next twenty minutes, you will be awash in a sea of T-90s.

I've shelved this game from the end of 2009 till only a few months ago (release of Reimforcements). So this mission has been broken since the start? that doesn't make sense...

No, it hasn't been broken since start. The thread I listed above implies that possibly a patch stripped out the END GAME notations from most objectives. Without changing the scripts to remove the 3hr time limit, the current version may be impossible to complete successfully, and only a successful completion (all objectives completed) will end the game normally due to the bug.

I've beaten it in a sense, in that all towns are captured, offices blown, base destroyed (except for ceaseless respawning), but I get red x's for several objectives, and never got the debriefing screen - so it never really ended for me, but at least I got the green "completed" marker on the scenario list.

AAARRRGGGHHH!

In any case, maybe capture one town and set some defenses, then get some satchels and high tail it to Elektro, blow the offices, and then attempt to destroy the base. All effort must be focused on the base, as T-90s will respawn endlessly unless you waste that heavy factory. Various threads gives ideas on how to do that. But seriously, I'd wait until Dwarden has fixed it before ever playing it again.

Edited by OMAC

I have hard time understanding why we are not getting any votes and more feedback for these issues. http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18491

Often more votes is better way to get developers attention than writing here since developers have no time to read all hundreds of posts written here daily.

If a developer or you have marked issue to "Watch" state in CIT then you will get email message when anyone writes anything there and for those who have not set that issue to "Watch" state may still see the issue on main page list if it is bumped up every now and then (it will go up the list after each feedback). So basically post your feedback not only here but to CIT to get more attention.

Currently this issue has 3 votes. So it is OMAC, Hanzu and someone else. Surely there are more people that are bothered by this issue...

I think everyone has moved on to bigger and better things (OA/RNF), as have I. Only three votes for such a severe bug that renders the scenario unplayable?

With an environment as fantastic as Chernarus, I hope BIS someday decides to invest more time in patching A2 and making more scenarios or short campaigns (Eagle Wing 2!) But with ToH, A3, and now Carrier Command (???!!!), I doubt that will happen. I, for one, would surely pay for new A2 packs and enhancements.

Your best bet is probably to just go into PBO Opener, crack open SP 07, and edit the living shit out of it. Mainly, what you want to do is change the scripting. I've done it before; the mission idea appealed to me, but the fact that my AI weren't making ANY advances, and I wanted tanks so I could compete, drove me to it. I copy/pasted the statistics for 2 or 3 of the 'unique to russia' buildings in it, Changed their ID and Classnames to those of the Guerilla side, and added 2 or 3 more Guerilla commanders. I HAVE NO CLUE how to increase their command capabilities (so I was stuck with 3 squads commanding only 2 soldiers...)

They successfully built up, and began to produce more infantry and all that. FINALLY we made progress, but of course, the Russians flooded the area with T-90s BEFORE we could start producing T-34's and T-72's.. It wasn't as hopeless as it could have been though. Mission Editor near-success win.

Your best bet is probably to just go into PBO Opener, crack open SP 07, and edit the living shit out of it. Mainly, what you want to do is change the scripting. I've done it before; the mission idea appealed to me, but the fact that my AI weren't making ANY advances, and I wanted tanks so I could compete, drove me to it. I copy/pasted the statistics for 2 or 3 of the 'unique to russia' buildings in it, Changed their ID and Classnames to those of the Guerilla side, and added 2 or 3 more Guerilla commanders. I HAVE NO CLUE how to increase their command capabilities (so I was stuck with 3 squads commanding only 2 soldiers...)

They successfully built up, and began to produce more infantry and all that. FINALLY we made progress, but of course, the Russians flooded the area with T-90s BEFORE we could start producing T-34's and T-72's.. It wasn't as hopeless as it could have been though. Mission Editor near-success win.

Totally cool. Good job. I wish I had done that to even the odds. Without editing, that mission definitely separates the hardcore Armaholics from the noobs.

The worst thing about the mission that the only apparent way to destroy the Russian spawning base is to use the game construction mechanics to buy ZU-23 guns at an Elektro strong point and shell the base, or, if you are VERY VERY lucky, to capture Russian armor and use it against them, which almost never happens. I think the design was for you to go to the island and pick up weapons and infiltrate and destroy the base with them, but that is not feasible, as only RPGs are available. You keep looking for a better way, and there just isn't any - except for editing. But I've battled through determinedly, and "won" although not officially due to the bug(s).

Totally cool. Good job. I wish I had done that to even the odds. Without editing, that mission definitely separates the hardcore Armaholics from the noobs.

The worst thing about the mission that the only apparent way to destroy the Russian spawning base is to use the game construction mechanics to buy ZU-23 guns at an Elektro strong point and shell the base, or, if you are VERY VERY lucky, to capture Russian armor and use it against them, which almost never happens. I think the design was for you to go to the island and pick up weapons and infiltrate and destroy the base with them, but that is not feasible, as only RPGs are available. You keep looking for a better way, and there just isn't any - except for editing. But I've battled through determinedly, and "won" although not officially due to the bug(s).

I'd say that mission probably just kills the noobs, cripples Armaholics, and shows us which Arma legends have Jesus patting them on the back ;) It seems most about luck to me, lol.

Editing was probably the best answer even Einstein could come up with. Your guerilla army is supposed to feel 'powerful' enough to take on an entire Russian occupant force without support? And I never did figure out what the heck Razor team was supposed to be doing. Using the mission editor, I added in about 3 other squad commanders personally, typed up in the script the Guerilla Heavy Factory diagnostics, added in a support Depot too I think, and put a nice little trigger next to Razor that once entered, made them rush over and join me :p

If you fly the direction, go ahead and 'plant' a few spare T-34's or T-72's and an Anti-Material rifle. Hehe..

Mission Editor is the best solution to any error in this game :D

I'd say that mission probably just kills the noobs, cripples Armaholics, and shows us which Arma legends have Jesus patting them on the back ;) It seems most about luck to me, lol.

Editing was probably the best answer even Einstein could come up with. Your guerilla army is supposed to feel 'powerful' enough to take on an entire Russian occupant force without support? And I never did figure out what the heck Razor team was supposed to be doing. Using the mission editor, I added in about 3 other squad commanders personally, typed up in the script the Guerilla Heavy Factory diagnostics, added in a support Depot too I think, and put a nice little trigger next to Razor that once entered, made them rush over and join me :p

If you fly the direction, go ahead and 'plant' a few spare T-34's or T-72's and an Anti-Material rifle. Hehe..

Mission Editor is the best solution to any error in this game :D

LOL! AWESOME! Send the script to Dwarden, and possibly he can use it help him revamp the mission. It is GREAT that you got Razor at the castle to help you rather than just stand there mute. Classic. After hassling with FF for days, dreaming about an Anti-Material rifle, let alone a T-72, makes my pants tight.

Don't let those pants get too tight, because there's always the chance to put a CDF Mi-24 to support you in the game ;) Mission editor offers you endless possibilities, and Razor team makes an excellent sidekick squad, arming Skyes with an M107 or KSVK turns him into a beast! Mission Editor can make all of your dreams come true!

Don't let those pants get too tight, because there's always the chance to put a CDF Mi-24 to support you in the game ;) Mission editor offers you endless possibilities, and Razor team makes an excellent sidekick squad, arming Skyes with an M107 or KSVK turns him into a beast! Mission Editor can make all of your dreams come true!

Maybe I'll look into editing it myself. FF sure as hell needs all the help it can get! At the very least there has to be more weaponry of some kind to effectively destroy the base once and for all. "Constructing" ZU-23s out of thin air at a captured Elektro stongpoint is preposterous, certainly if it is the only way to destroy the base.

Right now, even if you are lucky and manage to capture a mortar jeep, heavy APC, or tank, chances are that it will vanish from under your feet, as it is considered by the game a damaged vehicle which will vanish to save computer resources (see Badlands).

It is also lame that even after you COMPLETELY destroy the base and all men in it, spawning men keep popping out of the ground like ants. Realistic? I think not.

I hope that Dwarden takes great liberties in completely revamping that mission with our comments in mind.

What is the timescale on the fix for this ?

I noticed in another thread that someone reported that SP07 was broken back in 2009, with failed objectives and enemies re-spawning from where their base used to be etc etc.....

It gets boring after a while, holed up in a supply depot constantly rearming with RPG's, standing up and blowing up any tanks that come to near, crouching down, buy new RPG, repeat ad nauseum.

The bloody tanks are like Peter North: they just keep coming and coming !

Someone should post the .pbo for Freedom Fighters so everyone can edit it at their pleasure.

What is the timescale on the fix for this ?

I noticed in another thread that someone reported that SP07 was broken back in 2009, with failed objectives and enemies re-spawning from where their base used to be etc etc.....

Could you post a link to that thread?

It gets boring after a while, holed up in a supply depot constantly rearming with RPG's, standing up and blowing up any tanks that come to near, crouching down, buy new RPG, repeat ad nauseum.

You got that right. I usually buy the Metis, however.

The bloody tanks are like Peter North: they just keep coming and coming !

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right on :D

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Someone should post the .pbo for Freedom Fighters so everyone can edit it at their pleasure.

Yes, but I hope that Dwarden et al., have a go at it as well!

And here am I thinking that's a problem only I have... I'm well into 100h of ArmA2 gaming, but MAN, this mission is overly brutal!

I was real happy about myself after destroying the first view waves of APC/BTRs (and some soldiers in between:p), after which I could venture out and capture my first 2 towns (alone, 'cause the AI in this scenario is just too dumb to do anything, except manning the defenses I built - and yes, I'm giving my money to the lazy and incapable AI).

And then all hell broke loose with 2x T90 and 2x T72 rolling up my arse, re-capturing my towns, while I'm on my way to another enemy strongpoint. :eek:

(battling with APCs spawning like wild hogs while I'm at it)

I thought: what gives? WTF?

I took over command, but I couldn't build a factory? So I have no armor with which I could destroy those tanks. :butbut:

Ok, I'm about finished RPG-ing the hell out of 'em :D, but then I realized all the red Xes in my tasks...

WHAT?

Should I - playing practically alone - be able to finish all mission objectives in like 20min or so?

Yesterday I tried it for about 5 hours (with LOTS of reloading^^) and wasn't nearly at the enemy base.

So, the main question remains: will this mission eventually get re-written?

I mean, I'm all for this "we are underground guerilla fighter" play style but this takes time!!

If I would've got a few platoons of Abrahm tanks, I would just roll over the enemy, but that's not gonna happen with a single team using a view RPGs :cool:

As a side note: now that I finished every mission of Arma2 (and addons), are there any noteworthy singleplayer missions or even campaigns one could recommend?

I would be especially interested in something like an "all Chernasus or Takistan" warfare/conquest mode.

But of course with a whole lot more units battling it out in the air, with armor and soldiers fighting on the ground... just a single, huge battlefield where one can play for hours, with multiple ingame days, so one can choose to be a SpecOp at night and a A10 pilot at daylight.

Man, I have a dream.... :-)

Thanks in advance!

Believe me, I feel your pain. I'd stay as far away from FF as possible until further notice. Keep watching here for fixes:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18491

The red x issue with objectives still has me completely confused.