MrSagro

Xbox 360 Controller for GOTY edition?

Hello all!

First off I want to explain that I am a console gamer, the only PC game I have really played is the original Starcraft :yay:

I have been playing CM's OFP games on Xbox 360 and am left hungering for more/better!

I have decided to buy OFP GOTY edition off Amazon (I would do Arma II but my PC is old and incapable).

Could some one please guide me as to how I could play the game with an Xbox 360 controller. I am pretty unaware as "how to" game on a PC, but I am a quick learner.

I realize the game is complex, but I prefer a Xbox controller as it is much more comfortable for me, I am happy to still use the keyboard/mouse as needed, as long as I can mostly rely on the controller :)

Any help is much appreciated. I am really excited to visit OFP's true roots! :D

Edited by MrSagro

I have been playing CM's OFP games on Xbox and am left hungering for more/better!

Dear god...

Edited by ArmAriffic

Dear god...

Is that compassion in your voice? lol at least it led me here right? LOL

Was not intended to insault you if it did sorry but the CM operation flashpoint is a cheap wannabe copy of the BIS OFP :p

back OT I'm pretty sure you can use xbox controllers in arma but I don't know about Op flashpoint

Edited by ArmAriffic

I had no offence, thank you, I believe I understood your intent :)

I have looked into the Arma options, but again, my PC is just not up to par, hence GOTY edition. :)

In all honesty you should be leaving your Xbox 360 controller behind.

^ This

Because the CWA is more difficult to control than the CM's OFP, so strongly I recommend keyboard + mouse.

Edited by kllrt

Wonder for how many seconds you will survive with a gamepad when engaged by the enemy.

I have no idea if this will work with GOTY but try downloading & installing the Pinnacle Game Profiler and then using this profile.

In all honesty you should be leaving your Xbox 360 controller behind.

Thanks! That looks exactly like what I was looking for! Life saver!

As far as survival, yes I realize the game was not intended for a game pad, but I will try it out none the less, if it is unbearable I will have to find a comfortable position for mouse/keyboard use.

Thanks all! :D

Pinnacle is working very well for me :D

Other Question, Does anyone know how to set the game or Pinnacle so the crosshairs are always at the center of your view? Basically so that the "Free aim box" is very tiny, if you were to move your mouse just a little your whole view would move?

Nope. The free aim in OFP is hardcoded and unchangeable, unlike in the games that followed it.

Pinnacle is working very well for me :D

Other Question, Does anyone know how to set the game or Pinnacle so the crosshairs are always at the center of your view? Basically so that the "Free aim box" is very tiny, if you were to move your mouse just a little your whole view would move?

I must say that I love the freeaim in OFP. But if you really want to minimize it you can make the horizontal float zone zero by editing the config.

find

class Man

and edit

minGunTurn=-4;

maxGunTurn=6;

to

minGunTurn=-0;

maxGunTurn=0;

By doing this you eliminate the horizontal float zone and turn the hole body when you move the mouse side ways. Down side is that you loose any feel that the weapons has weight.

STGN

Well, I stand very corrected. I'll have to try that myself!

Thank you both very much. Im so used to xbox games that dont have much free aim so I thought I would try the two out on OFP and see which I like better. :)

You should get used to free aim. It's the best thing since sliced bread in the series. The pros are not as prominent in OFP tbh but in ArmA games (to which you may later move) the ability to move ironsights to the side so they won't obscure the direct view while looking through them and then lightningly fast place them over the target you've spotted is priceless as it's much faster than pressing RMB to look through them which disorients a little bit.

Only use controller for flying. You will need keyboard to properly play this game. Lots of helpful videos on YouTube. You must attempt to break the controller addiction. I died alot when changing over and now I just die often.:)

Hi mr Sagro, Could you get back to us with your experience of playing OFP with 360controller, I'd be fascinated to hear how (and if) it works out, I'm a long time PC gamer that got a cheap XBOX 2yrs ago and have played both COLDWARCRISIS (mouse/keys) and DRAGONRISING (controller). Now CWC is a deeper game in terms of what you can do -command teams/drive vehicles/tanks/ fly helis/jets etc if you could map that to a controller I'd love to give it a go myself-just for kicks.

(also,stick with it, CWC really is even now ten times the game D R will ever be -not jus fanboy BS either -you'll see:D) and all the ADDONS you can get for it ( 10 YEARS worth!!!) really make it about 30 games in one!:D

Good luck fella, Give it a chance and you will be mighty rewarded:yay:

Tell us more when you find out -cheers all - Z