Sign in to follow this  
smacker909

firing while prone..

a few times trying to sneek up on some bad guys, prone.. I seem to have a clear shoot, but when fireing, end up landing my bullets in the dirt in front of me. :eek: I'm playing on the steam version of Arma2 OA. iS that a common problem?

Bear in mind that the line of your sights is an inch or more above the line of your barrel.

It's FADE if you stole the game, or it could be mods.

its a bug also, shoting close to a wall corner, edge of a mointain, rock, etc. You have a clear shot, but the bullet hits the wall,rock, mountain right in front. You need to move a little more out from that position

Make sure your weapon muzzle is not sticking into/through the ground/other objects. If it is visibly cliping through anything then your shot will be obstructed.

In real life, a rifle sight can be a few cm above the barrell.

In real life you can see that the barrell is sticking into the ground. In the game this is not always obvious.

Switch to 3rd person view and then it is obvious.

-

So far it's been on flat rock or dirt surface.. sneaking up on dudes. I switch back and forth between 1st and 3rd. In first person.. I was def. hitting the ground when I should have been hitting dudes.. game is not stolen. I don't remember having the probelm in ArmaII just since I started with OA. Maybe only some maps. Thanks for the tips.

a few times trying to sneek up on some bad guys, prone.. I seem to have a clear shoot, but when fireing, end up landing my bullets in the dirt in front of me. :eek: I'm playing on the steam version of Arma2 OA. iS that a common problem?

In arma2 as in real life you have something called sight line and bore line.

Basically at close range you may be able to plant your sights on a target but your bore line (gun barrel) will not have the elevation to hit over a wall/hill etc.

Just aim a little higher and you will hit your mark or use mods to give you adjustable sights as most guns in arma2 are most probably zero'd in at around 300mtrs up to 450mtrs depending on the weapons system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_rule

Take a look at the charts because i'm sure arma2 uses the same ballistics.

Edited by anthraxant

its a bug also, shoting close to a wall corner, edge of a mointain, rock, etc. You have a clear shot, but the bullet hits the wall,rock, mountain right in front. You need to move a little more out from that position

It's a bug only if reality is bugged

Point a gun into a wall IRL and the bullet won't magically fly over it

Hi all

New to ArmA II?

Do not understand Ballistics?

Only ever played other FPS, you know the ones with a laser beam coming from between your eyes pretending to be a bullet?

Please read the hints and tips in the BIS Community Wiki, I draw your attention to the Learning to Shoot section.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_II_Hints_and_Tips#Learning_to_shoot.21

There is a link to range tables for ArmA there that you will find useful.

Bullets in ArmA come out of the muzzle of the gun, they do not sprout from between your eyes. Bullets in ArmA follow a ballistic trajectory, they are not laser beams.

As in reality; bullets in ArmA, unlike Arcade FPS games, do not go where your sights are pointed, they go where your muzzle is pointed, following a ballistic path after leaving the barrel of the gun. Your sights will be zeroed to a point on that path. Interesting aside In reality a sight is zeroed so that it is correct at two points in the ballistic parabola. Normally you only consider one fixed distance as the zero point.

You can get even more detailed information here in Dslyecxi's "Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures" Guide:

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/basic_rifleman.html

I agree Reality and simulations of it are a shock to those who have only ever played arcade FPS, but blame the arcade FPS for fooling you, not ArmA for telling you the truth.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Thanks all. I get it now! :)

You are welcome smacker909

And you are not the first to be fooled by the Arcade physics in other FPS, and think ArmA had it wrong.

At least you did not just throw your teddy and ArmA out of the window as many Arcade FPS players have because they could not understand bullets come out of the gun not their foreheads.

You were sensible and asked.

Kind Regards walker

Well there are still some objects around with bad fire geometry in OA, even if it's minimal compared to the problems in A2.

Well there are still some objects around with bad fire geometry in OA, even if it's minimal compared to the problems in A2.

A few rocks here and there. Rocks are probably tough though, since they have such awkward shapes. And I'd rather have natural looking rocks than boxy rocks.