Sign in to follow this  
hotel

Model Requirements for ArmA3

Basically I am curious what kind of requirements are necessary for our models and textures (how many polys and texture res). I would like to get started with some modeling for this game. Can the devs give us an idea what there modeling credentials are?

Sorry if this is a double post but the search didnt find anything.

Way, way too early. Regardless, knowing how the engine will use the model is a lot more important than polycount/textures.

General rule of thumb - Most weapons in games range from 2k-5k. Texturing - the bigger the better. It's easy lower the res of a texture, but much harder to increase it.

Make em for arma2, I doubt the process will be much different for arma3.

The interior of this vehicle http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196648733715198&set=a.196648637048541.46076.192181357495269&type=1 appear high poly, note how the screws are actually 3D BUT this could also be due to the more simple geometry..

My recommendation is to push the limits, we can't move into the future if we remain in the boundaries we set, O2 will read your model up to around 16.000 faces, note this isn't triangles but 'faces' this includes quads.

For texturing...start large and downsize, I've heard several people recommend beginning at 4096 then downsizing to 2048.

polycount for A3 will most likely be exactly the same as A2. at least is what i was able to get from...places

DX9 vertex normal limit 2^15 or 2^ 16 / model (15 or 16 bit indices) A2 uses 15bit

DX10 vertex normal limit 2^16 / model (16 bit indices)

DX11 vertex normal limit up to 2^32 /model

further reading here http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1847181&postcount=135

I am sure if you want to start modelling, you can do it now, have the actual content ready(modelled/textured), then when A3 comes, you'll only need to get in the game

And remember, currently, the p3d file format handles vertex normals as discrete vertexes. So hard edges increases your vertex count towards the (32,768 vertex) directX limit.

The interior of this vehicle http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196648733715198&set=a.196648637048541.46076.192181357495269&type=1 appear high poly, note how the screws are actually 3D BUT this could also be due to the more simple geometry..

My recommendation is to push the limits, we can't move into the future if we remain in the boundaries we set, O2 will read your model up to around 16.000 faces, note this isn't triangles but 'faces' this includes quads.

For texturing...start large and downsize, I've heard several people recommend beginning at 4096 then downsizing to 2048.

That vehicle interior actually doesn't look all that complex, but you don't see any of those screws in silhouette, so it's possible they're using parallax occlusion maps.

Edited by Max Power

I apologize for the necroposting but as someone who does not model - does anyone know the poly/vert limit for A3?