Sign in to follow this  
hotshot0101

Crysis 2 Engine Enlists with the U.S. Army for New Military Simulator

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/219665/crysis-2-engine-enlists-with-the-u-s-army-for-new-military-simulator/ :) "The U.S. Army is spending $57 million on what's essentially the most realistic video game ever made. What we're trying to do with infantry squad-level training is suspension of disbelief, and the CryEngine 3 is the best video game technology on the market today," said Floyd West, Director of Strategic Programs, Orlando Division of Intelligent Decisions. "With CryEngine 3 being used for Crysis 2 and the capabilities that game engine provides, it allows us to make the most realistic simulation possible." Edited by hotshot0101

soldiers will get an exclusive gaming experience that goes well beyond Crysis 2 or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

I've been getting that experience since OFP came out in 2001 :tongue:

What a fucking waste of money, I doubt it will have any simulation at all, seems like a little lets play Americas army with Cry engine now.

Its going to be a buggy POS at launch.

It looks like the main selling point is virtual reality. If you're going to go the sensory immersion route, you might as well have nice graphics. I don't think something this expensive, stationary and complex will really replace VBS2.

I just found out from a Congressional aide friend of mine that says that in the next few weeks the Democrats and Republicans are going to put on the table welfare and defense spending. There is just pretty good chance these guys aren't going to get their contract with the U.S. Army to produce a $57 million dollar video game.

That is, if we actually cut defense spending, and it's not just a ploy to get democrats to cave on welfare.

I suppose they are going for this to augment their available simulators. VBS2 has limitations that the more highly advanced CryEngine 3 doesn't. Especially when it comes to off-the-shelf terrain possibility, physics, animations, general graphics, interaction and simulation of specific tools, weapons, vehicles and systems.

I dare say that things like lighting at night are very important to an Army trainer tool too and maybe they can better simulate things like night vision, infrared and targeting systems (like the Javelin's CLU) with a more versatile interaction system.

I will say though, I haven't been impressed by things in CryEngine 3 like lighting when it comes to daytime, things just look very cartoon'y.

Edited by Prydain