Sign in to follow this  
MAJORdorMo

Warping on Linux dedicated server

I recently setup a Linux dedicated server. Enemies from ~200m+ away warp like crazy!

I've screwed with my arma2ao.cfg, but it didn't help.

Here are the server specs:

Ubuntu 11.04

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 Ghz

2 GB DDR2 ram

10Mbps port

I was monitoring my CPU usage and it was all fine, so I doubt it has anything to do with my specs (HOWEVER, when I tried the -cpucount=4 tag then one core would always be 90-100%.)

Is this just a problem with the netcode, or am I doing something wrong? Would upgrading to a 100Mbps port fix the problem? What about switching from Linux to Windows? I'd prefer Linux, but I'd be willing to go to Windows if it fixed this problem.

EDIT: I was just monitoring the bandwidth while I played a coop mission on the server by myself. It never exceeded 20 kb, so I guess upgrading to a 100Mbps port wouldn't do anything.

Edited by MAJORdorMo

It depend on what you screwed up in cfg....

In your case I thing the most significant values in cfg to check is

MinBandwidth = a value you ALWAYS have;

MaxBandwidth = a value you NEVER have;

MaxMsgSend = how big packets to send;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = e.g 1024, play with it;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed = play with this too;

MinErrorToSend = 0.002, adjusting this slightly will change warping a whole lot;

It doesn't really matter of the settings. My team has given up on linux dedicated as we noticed that even if we had 2-10ms pings (our server is on a "very good" location) the player and AI positions were warping heavily. Not to mention CTDs... so we're in process of moving our server to a location from where we can admin win version... (good luck with that...)

It depend on what you screwed up in cfg....

In your case I thing the most significant values in cfg to check is

I tried messing with all of those settings. Nothing seemed to work.

It doesn't really matter of the settings. My team has given up on linux dedicated as we noticed that even if we had 2-10ms pings (our server is on a "very good" location) the player and AI positions were warping heavily. Not to mention CTDs... so we're in process of moving our server to a location from where we can admin win version... (good luck with that...)

So you're sure it is Linux and that switching to Windows will fix it?

I'd be completely willing to use Windows if it fixes this, but I definitely prefer Linux.

Our experience was the exact opposite - 2 Windows boxes (both dual quad-cores, one a C2Q and one a Nehalem Xeon, with 8 GiB and 12 GiBs of RAM respectively), set up by different people (one by a server host, and the other by me, so it's probably not user error), and both had horrible desync, teleporting and warping. We switched to Linux and everything runs perfectly.

I don't think you'll get rid of warping by adjusting configs alone. The real issue is the netcode across both linux and windows. Warping has been addressed in single player - [79670] Fixed: AI warping at distance in singleplayer (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/1915) but yet to be addressed in multiplayer.

Jman;1940757']I don't think you'll get rid of warping by adjusting configs alone. The real issue is the netcode across both linux and windows. Warping has been addressed in single player - [79670] Fixed: AI warping at distance in singleplayer (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/1915) but yet to be addressed in multiplayer.

It certainly seems that way. After some Googling, it seems that they hold the stance that it isn't a bug, but a feature. =/

My squadmates and I have learned to live with it. I guess we can hope it will be fixed in Arma 3.......

Yeah, its pretty annoying. Its a shame BIS isnt doing anything about it and instead working on a sequal that 1/2 the community doesent care about and would rather have a less buggy client and server.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

It certainly seems that way. After some Googling, it seems that they hold the stance that it isn't a bug, but a feature. =/

My squadmates and I have learned to live with it. I guess we can hope it will be fixed in Arma 3.......

For such a expensive game you would guess that maybe BIS would put in some effort to fix it asap as it hampers gameplay as a simulator. But nope!