Sign in to follow this  
walker

Adopt Valhalla or other C&H as the basic PvP form and set up some Official servers

Who is playing this today? :)

But yes, call me infidel... I didn't know it... oh maybe wait, I just forgot about this one.

But look now they don't evolve their warfare so beny made a better one because he listen to the comunity and he still do some upgrades for their fans.

Same will be with Valhalla... it'll be forgoten if it'll be included to the vanilla ArmA]|[

It must evolve with comunity if we want have it playable for long time.

BTW Valhalla isn't as good as Berzerk was... all this cash stuff killed the spirit.

Any chance that Zap will back to ArmA comunity? I've talked to him more then one year ago... I remember that he was piss of on BIS and comunity. What happen then all we know. What is going on with this guy now? Anybody know?

Who is playing this today? :)

Who gives a shit? There are better versions out there now that are being supported and updated by dedicated people.

The only thing BIS need to do for Arma3 is provide a couple of great and easy to grasp MP missions that promote and reward teamplay at launch. Just like Warfare, these should be designed from the ground up to be moddable. The community will make the most of them over time, just like Benny, Gossamer and others have done with Warfare.

Who gives a shit? There are better versions out there now that are being supported and updated by dedicated people.

I don't know, maybe this guys from the first post :P

I don't know, maybe this guys from the first post :P

He doesn't mention Warfare anywhere.

I think in the lobby section there should be a [NO MOD/ADDON] filter. If it;s already there, please forgive me. I've not stepped into MP lobby for quite a while, because mod scares me off. It's not that I dont know how to install mod, it's just that < fill in the blank as I cant quite find the word for it :D >

http://mrcharles.pytalhost.com/ArmAOA/diverses/Settings.png

http://mrcharles.pytalhost.com/ArmAOA/diverses/Settings2.png

:butbut:

I'm going to be a little bit blunt, but meh....

Berzerk/Valhalla are popular because they are the most no-brainer out of the latest PvP attempts, and permit easy run & camp. Fortunately the situation evolved from the permanent full hold for 50 minutes we had before, but they are popular because you don't have to think much. Spawn, take your gun, go there, sit down

And it's not C&H, sry Walker. The fact you can spawn inside zone just rules out C&H. It's a derivative from Assault mode of Battlefield games (in fact, Berzerk is an adaptation of BattleField 1985 mission in OFP).

If you look for C&H, look up the excellent ones you can find on 8BZ server

I'd gladly see BI taking steps to ensure we have some solid PvP experience at launch with ArmA3, and letting the community grow on its own after that, like it has been done with Warfare. But I'm not sure Valhalla/whatever would be a step in the right direction to showcase A3 possibilities

Well, in fact, BI Sector Control in Zargabad are a very good first step into PvP

Isn't C&H where you take flags off poles in order to make them yield points for your side? Sector Control is the zone seizing variant.

The only thing BIS need to do for Arma3 is provide a couple of great and easy to grasp MP missions that promote and reward teamplay at launch. Just like Warfare, these should be designed from the ground up to be moddable. The community will make the most of them over time, just like Benny, Gossamer and others have done with Warfare.

I'm afraid to promote teamplay BIS will have to force everyone to use TS3 or they will be kicked from the server - which obviously BIS won't do (although it would've been pretty cool).

Otherwise it will always be chaotic no matter which game type is played.

Without communication there can be no teamwork.

Didn't BIS plan to add an official support to some proper 3d sound positioning comm software (Ventrillo something?) back in 2009?

I'm afraid to promote teamplay BIS will have to force everyone to use TS3 or they will be kicked from the server - which obviously BIS won't do (although it would've been pretty cool).

Otherwise it will always be chaotic no matter which game type is played.

Without communication there can be no teamwork.

Didn't BIS plan to add an official support to some proper 3d sound positioning comm software (Ventrillo something?) back in 2009?

This is true for PvP or Coop, tbh. Since OFP

And would need its own thread :)

If the in-game VoN worked without a hitch, that would be better than any external tool. At least that's my experience with other games, like COD, BF2142 and L4D1/2.

Mumble. Don't know what became of it though.

Hi all

I am not too bothered about the game form's lineage in this thread; generally that is IMHO Off Topic.

There are several key factors to the concept of using Valhalla or Berzerk or other C&H on BIS official servers:

1. Popularity; Valhalla and before it Berzerk are far and away the most popular PvP game form on ArmA servers.
  2. Accessibility, because the concept is close enough to existing game forms on other FPS games, it provides an intuitive game form similar enough to their earlier experience in older FPS for players to get it.
    ...Berzerk/Valhalla are popular because they are the most no-brainer out of the latest PvP attempts...
  3. Freedom, the key difference between ArmA and older FPS like COD is that the player is free to move around and approach the objective in any way they wish; as a team as the Russians do on via Team Speak on the DAO server (hence why they win so often), as combined arms element, as tank, as a ninja zone sneaker, as a kamikaze zone stormer, as long range sniper, and yes as a zone camper, because camping is a respected tactic in ArmA unlike older game forms etc.
  4. Cohesion, they key problem with freedom is lack direction and leadership, BIS providing such leadership by providing servers with a direction for beginners will create a more cohesive community.
  5. Dissent, in ArmA you can dissent from the official line, we do as a community and will always be able to run our own servers, so this would never destroy that essential freedom but it would provide a starting point and haven from the anarchy that is ArmA game forms and an aswer to the plethora of confusion from new members of the ArmA community, about understanding how to play in ArmA MP

I refer you all back to the original post for a more detailed argument on the subject

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=119372

Kind Regards walker

If the in-game VoN worked without a hitch, that would be better than any external tool. At least that's my experience with other games, like COD, BF2142 and L4D1/2.

If VoN would've worked like TS3 with ACRE (with squad/fireteam/company channel division) we wouldn't be using TS3 with ACRE.

It's too bad BIS won't implement something like this into the game. Then there would've been no excuse not to use it.

But I think this would've helped people who just want to log-in onto the server and play as a team more than anything else.

Edited by metalcraze

I just logged on and checked the online figures for TVT. Top 9 TvT games as of 21:56 BST...

* CTI: 51 players

* CTI: 46 players

* Valhalla: 36 players

* TvT (?) Zargabad Life: 16 players

* TVT Domination: 16 players

* CTF: 15 players

* CTI: 13 players

Now, you might want to claim on the basis of those randomly sampled numbers that CTI is the most popular followed by Valhalla to which I would respond that having 50% of f**k-all is hardly a measure of success. The real challenge for BIS is to grow those online numbers by a couple of orders of magnitude (at least) across the board. Strangely enough OFP _did_ have very good online numbers for PvP back before the advent of complicated mission objectives, VON, or JIP so somehow I don't think that it's simply a matter of marketing the right gametype to the legions of sophisticated and discerning gamers who are sitting on the sidelines waiting for their particular niche to be supported.

It's pointless addressing Walker's misconceptions about other gametypes since I think he has missed the fundamental point that there is nothing inherently 'superior' about games that claim to require teamwork or that utilise all features of ArmA. As long as they pull in players, you will end up with a healthy online experience.

The nice thing about ArmA is that it is capable of addressing many different gameplay niches. So my own view is that a more effective strategy would be for BIS to provide a range of basic gametypes 'out of the box' to allow new players to get as broad a view of what the game can offer as possible. The more people that try the game and find a few things they like, the better. You never know, some of those people might even go on to try other game types as well....

LOL @ "tvt" player numbers :) The trick would be to probably boost up the stats so that there is nearly as many TvT players as coop players nowadays.

I am pretty sure the animation system and general geriatric feel of avatar controlled by player as well as rather poor marketing compared to popular pvp games is to be blamed and should that be addressed, real pvp mission support from BIS might turn out to be unnecessary.

Smookie I'm afraid that the moment BIS adds animations that IRL would tear muscles apart from weapon recoil to compete with "PvP games" is the moment series completely fail financially losing to Battlefields and CoDs.

The only reason why ArmA is still alive is because its marketing cannot be compared to what you've named.