Sign in to follow this  
Cornstar

[Answered] Giving Arma 2 a second try, and got disappointed... again

I was one of the many people who was not able to play Arma 2 after launch due to ATI card issues. This was not fixed after 2 patches or so, and I gave up completely on Arma 2. Now, more than a year later at least I've decided to go for the Steam deal, I now have W7 x64 running, a fancy new gfx card, all good to go.

After a fresh install the first thing i see when starting the game is an error message saying "no entry bin config.bin\bladibladibla. went on with the game and had a CTD in 2 minutes. I don't even know if I want to try to figure out what is wrong this time. I can't believe I fell for this. Again :mad:.

Edited by Dwarden

Works without any issue for me.

Same here, the only crashes I've gotten were hardware/mission related. 99% of the time I can play for hours w/o issues

I was one of the many people who was not able to play Arma 2 after launch due to ATI card issues. This was not fixed after 2 patches or so, and I gave up completely on Arma 2. Now, more than a year later at least I've decided to go for the Steam deal, I now have W7 x64 running, a fancy new gfx card, all good to go.

After a fresh install the first thing i see when starting the game is an error message saying "no entry bin config.bin\bladibladibla. went on with the game and had a CTD in 2 minutes. I don't even know if I want to try to figure out what is wrong this time. I can't believe I fell for this. Again :mad:.

sounds like corrupt data, wrong install or messed install

sounds like corrupt data, wrong install or messed install

Hmm, dug into the ATI bug thread, still alive and kicking, 1200 posts or so. A sad sight IMHO. One of the tips was to not launch using steam but launch .exe directly. Seemed to have worked, I played for an hour without issues.

Anyways, just needed to vent a bit, was quite frustrated with an unplayable game ages ago (paid full price and never got to play it, that kind of frustrated), and new OS + card + new chance for Arma 2 Arrowhead and the very first thing is an error message + CTD.

/rant off

fingers crossed I can start enjoying this game now :-)

I think that it is just one of those things Cornstar. Blind devotion that no matter how bad it is or what problems you have. it is you and not the product. ArmA 2 was so bad on launch it didn't run. An "emergency" patch had to be released because people couldn't play AT ALL.

none of these people here will tell you that because OOo that would be sacrilegious to the almighty god of games A2. I call a spade a spade. ArmA was good AFTER patch 114 until then it sucked. And ArmA 2 sucks now depending on if it likes your setup or not. You see this in the HUGE amount of posts of what systems seem to handle it and the ones that don't.

There is no consistency in this game so compatibility is inconsistent as well.I fall under that umbrella as well. It runs horribly for me no matter what system I have tried it on.I gotta dumb it so far down it looks like Americas Army 2.8 graphics. So I don't know what to tell you. a search of the forums will back up what I am telling you. I can't find a single good answer to system ills because there isn't one. You are at the mercy of a game that is ill built. Looks awesome I agree but way too buggy to be called a great game.

I think that it is just one of those things Cornstar. Blind devotion that no matter how bad it is or what problems you have. it is you and not the product. ArmA 2 was so bad on launch it didn't run. An "emergency" patch had to be released because people couldn't play AT ALL.

none of these people here will tell you that because OOo that would be sacrilegious to the almighty god of games A2. I call a spade a spade. ArmA was good AFTER patch 114 until then it sucked. And ArmA 2 sucks now depending on if it likes your setup or not. You see this in the HUGE amount of posts of what systems seem to handle it and the ones that don't.

There is no consistency in this game so compatibility is inconsistent as well.I fall under that umbrella as well. It runs horribly for me no matter what system I have tried it on.I gotta dumb it so far down it looks like Americas Army 2.8 graphics. So I don't know what to tell you. a search of the forums will back up what I am telling you. I can't find a single good answer to system ills because there isn't one. You are at the mercy of a game that is ill built. Looks awesome I agree but way too buggy to be called a great game.

WTF are you talking about? The OP said it was fixed, so why come in here and start shit talking for no reason?

"Blind devotion"??? Yeah, I'm sure thousands and thousands of people that play this game can't get it to run right; and they only play it because it's "Arma"...whatever

The game obviously runs for most people or these forums would be FLOODED with complaints and BIS would be out of business.

edit: Oh, and I should say that I'm not some fanboi with "blind devotion"...the game runs and runs well on my system; no special tweaking, loopholes, whatever you seem to think EVERYONE has to do to get it to run. You make it sound like anyone who can play the game is a fanboi lol!

Edited by No Use For A Name

Funny you say that njmatrix, I must have been imagining playing Arma 2 mostly without issue when it was launched. In fact, this was the only "issue" I ran into that early on:

MkCcgZw0HOs

Most PC games these days have issues one way or another with ATI cards, and that's typically down to how terribly AMD make the drivers for them. :rolleyes:

Tnx, I feel less alone now :-)... And so far the game is running with some glitches left and right, but at least it's possible to play it now. Mind you, a game should not need fixing to be able to play it. A steam game that works as long as I start it outside steam and such...

I don't believe the story that it's all AMD's fault here. Arma 2 is poorly built, it's plain and simple. It is the only game that gives me issues, I've been playing tonnes of other games with full gfx on (GTA IV, Portal 2, ME2, etc.) and not a single problem. The main disappointment for me was the fact that years later on a different system I get the exact problems I had back then.

And of course it runs great for most people, great for them. Nevertheless IMHO Arma 2 is a buggy game. Always has been, and looking at the ATI issue thread still is.

I'm still gonna play it now though :bounce3:

Hmm, dug into the ATI bug thread, still alive and kicking, 1200 posts or so. A sad sight IMHO. One of the tips was to not launch using steam but launch .exe directly. Seemed to have worked, I played for an hour without issues.

Anyways, just needed to vent a bit, was quite frustrated with an unplayable game ages ago (paid full price and never got to play it, that kind of frustrated), and new OS + card + new chance for Arma 2 Arrowhead and the very first thing is an error message + CTD.

/rant off

fingers crossed I can start enjoying this game now :-)

was reacting to Your original post, which has nothing to with ATI problem thread

After a fresh install the first thing i see when starting the game is an error message saying "no entry bin config.bin\bladibladibla. went on with the game and had a CTD in 2 minutes.

please provide screens or arma2.rpt / arma2oa.rpt output for better analysis ...

note:

the amount of problems is similar for NVIDIA, AMD and STEAM ... blaming all on the game is same nonsense as blame all on the drivers ...

bugs are in both and worked on if known - reported ...

Edited by Dwarden

bugs are in both and worked on if known - reported ...

You can close the thread, both error message + CTD were not reproducable (thankfully)