Sign in to follow this  
KaZumaa

Returning to the game

So what's the verdict on using Steam? It seems like the easiest and fastest way to handle things, if it allows easy modding and such. Is it generally accepted to work pretty well, or are there some big faults with Steam on the MP scene?

No problem with steam here, works pretty much as the DVD version when it comes to addons and such, some people here say it's difficult to install mods and addons but it is not true.

When updating the game it downloads more than just the patch so if you have a slow internet or pay for what you download you should choose something else. Choose what you like, it all works, but the best for BIS is if you use the store at the top of this page.

Hi people

I'm an old Ofp veteran loved it in the old days and created many custom campaigns & missions which you can actually still get even today. (german only unfortunately):

http://www.bbs-team.net/

However I finally decided to return to the great Arma Community. I may don't have that much time anymore compared to 10 years ago but still....

I'm planning on creating missions again. (I still know all the Ofp commands) however I do know that tons of new commands came with Arma1 & Arma2,OA are there anywhere references for the Editor and it's commands downloadable?

In Ofp & Arma1 we had the Editor Bible created by the Mapfact team & Mr.Murray. Does something like that exist in the present days?

As side of that what else can you recommend me for a must have download? I just ordered Arma2 OA per Amazon 2 days ago and I'm looking forward to finally play it. I do have Arma2 but stopped playing it after constant FPS drops.

I've heard Arma2 OA is way more balanced in that sector so my computer should be hopefully able to play it lagfree.

Win732bit, Quad core 2.4ghz nvidia 8800 GTS, (very outdated by now) 4gb Ram. I hope that's enough. I probably need to buy a better graphic card and perhaps some more ram.

Anyway I already saw many recommendations. Are those still recommendable and are there perhaps new things by now everyone should have?

Please be as detailed as possible with your answers since I'm a total noob by now due to my long absence. In the meanwhile I'll continue my reading on the different topics here I already found some very cool commands I wish which I had in Ofp back then.

Greetings 23-down :)

Bottom line, play the vanilla game first and then decide what you want it to do.

I would play through the campaign and BI scenarios with the vanilla game. (Although a minute spent without a soundmod is a travesty.)

Then decide whether to take things to the next level. Vanilla is useful for certain kinds of MP.

Sounds like good advice.

I know it's subjective but which soundmod would you recommend? I've got a nice Audigy (5.1) sound system so I'm all about good sound.

p.s. I would hope/presume soundmods are client side only and won't cause any 'conflicts' when playing MP, right?

Sounds like good advice.

I know it's subjective but which soundmod would you recommend? I've got a nice Audigy (5.1) sound system so I'm all about good sound.

p.s. I would hope/presume soundmods are client side only and won't cause any 'conflicts' when playing MP, right?

I'm only really familiar with ACE_SM and JSRS.

JSRS is my baby, because the vehicle sounds are rich and textured, weapons are fairly bombastic and above all, bullets going over your head will make you dive out of your chair with your ears ringing. Everything has tons of echoes and a big new update is coming out soon. It is also completely modular, so delete what you don't like.

ACE_SM is all-around high quality, with excellently-mixed explosions and consistent weapons sounds. The gunshots are more 'accurate' but that can mean they don't sound as real in your headset. Most of them are good, but the M16 has this godawful twang like someone strumming a metal clotheshanger that sets my teeth on edge. It is somewhat modular.

If you just want weapons sounds that aren't metallic or echo-happy and sound good at a distance, try Chammy's SM, although it is outdated or being updated, I think.

Then there are HIFI Sound Modules, separate mods dealing with the A10 and wheeled and tracked vehicles.

There's also something called RH Helicopters or something.

And all soundmods should be clientside. If you have problems, duly complain. Some douchebag server admins will ban you for your sound mods, but I don't think that's common.

So what's the verdict on using Steam?

Steam is almost always convenient. Getting beta patches, or a combination of beta patches, CO and mods can be infuriating, however. You also get patches late.

Edited by maturin

Hi people

I'm an old Ofp veteran loved it in the old days and created many custom campaigns & missions which you can actually still get even today. (german only unfortunately):

http://www.bbs-team.net/

However I finally decided to return to the great Arma Community. I may don't have that much time anymore compared to 10 years ago but still....

I'm planning on creating missions again. (I still know all the Ofp commands) however I do know that tons of new commands came with Arma1 & Arma2,OA are there anywhere references for the Editor and it's commands downloadable?

In Ofp & Arma1 we had the Editor Bible created by the Mapfact team & Mr.Murray. Does something like that exist in the present days?

As side of that what else can you recommend me for a must have download? I just ordered Arma2 OA per Amazon 2 days ago and I'm looking forward to finally play it. I do have Arma2 but stopped playing it after constant FPS drops.

I've heard Arma2 OA is way more balanced in that sector so my computer should be hopefully able to play it lagfree.

Win732bit, Quad core 2.4ghz nvidia 8800 GTS, (very outdated by now) 4gb Ram. I hope that's enough. I probably need to buy a better graphic card and perhaps some more ram.

Anyway I already saw many recommendations. Are those still recommendable and are there perhaps new things by now everyone should have?

Please be as detailed as possible with your answers since I'm a total noob by now due to my long absence. In the meanwhile I'll continue my reading on the different topics here I already found some very cool commands I wish which I had in Ofp back then.

Greetings 23-down :)

You should get yourself a new GPU, your RAM should be sufficient