Sign in to follow this  
gunso

Donate your idle CPU time for science

ok i found this a while ago and since i never shutdown this pc cause i use it for downloading n stuff i'm thinking why the hell not.

The team was formed over 7 years ago and are involved in a distributed computing project called Folding@Home (F@H). This is a project created by reknowned Stanford University in the USA and its main purpose is to find cures for protein-related diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, cancer, Huntington's diseases, and others.

here's the link to it http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

it's for charity...

quote from the site i found this

"Basically, you use your PC's spare CPU/GPU cycles to perform simulations of protein folding. We typically use our PC for Internet surfing, MS Office type tasks - light tasks. So the CPU (and GPU) are idling - this idle capacity can be dedicated to F@H, to help find cures for these diseases."

"Won't running the F@H client interfere with my PC usage/gaming?

It depends - if you use the CPU client then it automatically runs only when the CPU is idle, and so will *not* interfere with your daily usage, even when gaming!. If you use the GPU client and you play games, then it is recommended to temporarily pause/suspend the client before gaming.

For the hardcore overclockers, the F@H clients are also a good way of stress-testing the CPU/GPU. Whilst it will not send your CPU and GPU temperatures soaring like Prime95 or Furmark, it is nevertheless a good indication of stability as well."

"What if folding does not produce a cure?

In the end, folding will not produce the cure, it has and will continue to produce results for researchers to study. These results teach us things we did not know, or had not considered. The more we learn, the more we adapt our understanding of nature and its mysteries. Folding will never replace the human mind. And with the right tools, time, and curiosity, eventually a cure will be found. If you have a friend, relative, or know of someone suffering from these diseases, help find a cure by joining this great project! "

read the website and download it if you think you want to contribute!

Aint your electricity still going to waste when your PC gone idle?:p

Well what they basically do is fire your PC up again as soon as it goes idle. No more Idle for your CPU or GPU. So yes this will definately raise your electricity bill.

And I doubt its very healtfull for your PC too

Folding@Home is available on every PS3 - keeps the machine busy during short breaks, but a waste of money having it running 24/7.

Aint your electricity still going to waste when your PC gone idle?:p

Well I never leave my PC on when I'm not on it. A gaming rig isn't something you use and abuse like a crappy notebook.

Yes, I have used BOINC and some of the @ programs. Everyone I have used doesn't just run in your background using a little processing power or energy. They all seem to be either CPU or GPU whores, even after you do their tweaks to prevent them from using a lot of resources.

What about SETI@Home - Aliens, Borgs, Dead Star... or just a message from the Universal Matrix?

SETI sounds good until you actually read their forums/website. They are always having server down time, multiple users getting the same work and they admit that most of the scanned sky is polluted with "background noise." Then they admit if you are an advanced society, you could be using other forms of communication or too many light years away and would take another X light years for it to reach Earth.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

It's actually worse on your computer if you constantly turn it on and off. Just so you know. It's ok to reboot once in a blue moon (once a week), but the constant, on/off/on/off...it takes it toll.

I actually do this, and you see no rise in your electric bill.

Well what they basically do is fire your PC up again as soon as it goes idle. No more Idle for your CPU or GPU. So yes this will definately raise your electricity bill.

And I doubt its very healtfull for your PC too

No, the same amount of juice is still delivered to your PC, no matter if it's in idle state or being utilized 100%.

And no, F@h does not make your PC break faster.

Yup.It isn't healthy for your PC.Especially if it runs 24/7.