Vehicle Locking vs Vehicle Share List

I assume the ability to lock vehicles was implemented

in order to prevent colostomy-bags (calling them douche-bags

would be a compliment) from stealing vehicles which belong

to other players.

I had to deal with this over the weekend. On several occasions

either my AI or myself were intentially killed in order to steal

one of my vehicles. I was even called an "asshole" for asking for my

vehicle and the remaining AI contained therein to be returned.

One may say "lock your vehicle you dumbass", but locking can be

an inconvenience at times because some servers disable the ability

for the AI to unlock the vehicles meaning I must be right next to it.

This is a big problem if I am on the other side of the map and wish

to purchase a chopper, fill it with AI troops, and have it flown somewhere.

I propose to implement a user modifiable list of players with whom

a player is willing to share his vehicle(s). This will allow me to

add players to my vehicleShareList and those on the list

(and their AI) may enter my vehicles at anytime while all others

are denied entry. If I grant someone vehicle access and I later

discover him to be a colostomy-bag, I simply

remove him from my vechicleShareList and the problem is solved.

This kind of functionality is possible already with current scripting methods. Mission makers would just need to implement it.

I am certain that it is, but if it were in the vanilla game it would available everywhere.

I am certain that it is, but if it were in the vanilla game it would available everywhere.

I would prefer it not be in vanilla, but left up to the mission maker... as it works just fine that way now.

I would prefer it not be in vanilla, but left up to the mission maker... as it works just fine that way now.

Locking is in vanilla, do you object to that?

If it were added in addition to locking, I don't understand why it would be a problem.

With the limited number or servers running CTI and a reasonable ping from my area, the chances of this being on one of them if left to mission editors is not that good.

Locking is in vanilla, do you object to that?

No it isn't. Vehicle locking is a vanilla scripting command, yes, but the method of walking up to a vehicle to lock or unlock it is not part of the default game. It has been scripted in by mission makers.

If it were added in addition to locking, I don't understand why it would be a problem.

Because it would open up a can of worms. Players aren't always supposed to be able to use vehicles that happen to be standing around - that's why the lock functionality exists.

Like I said before, the kind of white-list-based locking you are requesting needs to be scripted by addon makers, just like the current one was. It has no place being there by default.

Because it would open up a can of worms. Players aren't always supposed to be able to use vehicles that happen to be standing around - that's why the lock functionality exists.

Wouldn't that be something you could have to set up while creating a server?

That way you could just go with one or another. I'm not too sure I understand the problem, so I apologize if I'm missing something.

I think it would be nice to have this in addition to locking. If locked it no one can enter, and if unlocked only those in the list may enter.

If script commands were added to vanilla to manage this list, it could default to "Everyone" and thereby would function just as it does now.

All commands necessary to implement this are already present. This is something mission makers have to do as Mad already said.