Sign in to follow this  
oxmox

Back after a year....

Hi all,

last version i played was 1.05 almost a year ago. I did read a bit about the new patches and would love to know if some of the major issues got improved or maybe with the new addons ( didnt buy any so far).

* AI gunner firing main gun automatically and not just MG when you are a driver

* Heaviest tanks could be destroyed by just HE rounds

* detection of AI gunners

* possibility to target infantry and not just vehicles

* is this cheap space targeting still possible or can it be switched off by the server ? I remember when i was using just googles to search for targets and did wonder always why other palyers did find me so fast...that was crap for such a nice military game.

I lost the overview, due to loads of new addons and mods. Seems like Vanilla Server doesnt play ACE mode anymore. How is Arrowhead so far and is it worth to buy it for multiplayer ?

AO is like a totally new game. Most addons require ArmA2 + OA so you'd need to buy it anyway. And dont miss the excellent BAF DLC, bringing british forces into the game.

Since OA i play MP a lot more.

• I don't think that's a bug, rather a feature to make sure the Commander has total control over when the AI is supposed to fire the main gun. It's been that way since OFP, seems to work fine for me.
  • Yes, but this seems to be more of a compromise for gameplay. However, you have to pump a hell of a lot into a full-health M1A2 TUSK in order for it to go down, so much that you'll probably be blown up by it before you do so.
  • Not sure what this means. If you mean the fact that the AI still fires on vehicles with dead crews, that's been fixed.
  • This has been possible since OFP.
  • The feature is still part of the game, but it's been toned-down/tweaked by BIS, and many missions run checks to disable it in-game.

Most servers still use ACE2, and hardly anyone doesn't run Combined Operations, so yes, I'd say it's a requirement nowadays to have it.

Keep in mind that you last played Arma 2 at v1.05, and Combined Operations is now at v1.57.77159. There have been many changes since you last played.

Hi all,

last version i played was 1.05 almost a year ago. I did read a bit about the new patches and would love to know if some of the major issues got improved or maybe with the new addons ( didnt buy any so far).

* AI gunner firing main gun automatically and not just MG when you are a driver

* Heaviest tanks could be destroyed by just HE rounds

* detection of AI gunners

* possibility to target infantry and not just vehicles

* is this cheap space targeting still possible or can it be switched off by the server ? I remember when i was using just googles to search for targets and did wonder always why other palyers did find me so fast...that was crap for such a nice military game.

I lost the overview, due to loads of new addons and mods. Seems like Vanilla Server doesnt play ACE mode anymore. How is Arrowhead so far and is it worth to buy it for multiplayer ?

Much of what you posted will never change, try out the Operation Arrowhead demo and see for yourself if its better now.

If not then ArmA2 simply isnt the game for you i guess, yet i dont know of any real alternatives.

Thx for the answers, I have bought Arrowhead today and installing it currently...=)

Much of what you posted will never change

I still hope for fixes/improvements in the next patches...there game has a lot more potential, but in some minutes I will see how Arrowhead works. Anyway thx for the games and the work you did invest into it so far !

Edited by oxmox

Let us know what you think mate, would be interesting getting your thoughts on the game after a year away.

Install ACE mod when you are done with OA install. It adresses those issues to some degree and is the most popular mod in multiplayer so you will always find servers with it.

I'd recommend you spend some time with vanilla OA before thinking about trying ACE2 again. ;)

I'd recommend you spend some time with vanilla OA before thinking about trying ACE2 again. ;)

Yes, that for sure otherwise i wont see how the "real" game works. So far really nice and i feel the improvement of the AI, they act a little better. :) There are of course some improvements possible for multiplayer, but thats a different story. Need to play more to get more feeling for it.

Btw..I could not find really active ACE servers so far. Most are without any client mods.

Edited by oxmox

The SP of Arrowhead is great, I really like the campaing and the new features and can recommand this game for sure !

Would love to test ACE mod, but there are really not active servers around. Which can you recommand for European Timezone ?

There is one thing which could probably improved a lot for the tanker, the movement of the maingun doesnt have the feeling of a really heavy gun. I think if that would actually react with the feeling of a heavy tank gun it would give even more immersion to the game. The thermal views are really great, also flares and other night stuff like lasers.

Anway thx for the Arrowhead game, will play more in the next days and report back. =)

Edited by oxmox

The SP of Arrowhead is great, I really like the campaing and the new features and can recommand this game for sure !

Would love to test ACE mod, but there are really not active servers around. Which can you recommand for European Timezone ?

There is one thing which could probably improved a lot for the tanker, the movement of the maingun doesnt have the feeling of a really heavy gun. I think if that would actually react with the feeling of a heavy tank gun it would give even more immersion to the game. The thermal views are really great, also flares and other night stuff like lasers.

Anway thx for the Arrowhead game, will play more in the next days and report back. =)

Cool dude, keep what you think coming!:cool: