Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

Why don't AI use RPG's on Helo's?

The cost of an RPG warhead is about US$20-$30. And the insurgent probably puts an even lower value on their own life. A UH-60 costs over $15 million. You do the math ...

Russian military doctrine at work.

We'll probably never see it, but it's the 'Moskit' vs the US Carrier group on a much smaller scale.

Edited by BangTail

what mod was it though' date=' since warmod is only a compilation[/quote']

ACE 2 does it

2 shot down in the city

1 hit in the main rotor but makes it back to base

1 damaged but makes an emergency landing in the shipyards

1 I can't remember.

Damn I can´t remember. It has been a few Years since I read that book.

Definately 2 crashed in the City and one made it back to base with a engine hit.

One in the Shipyards? Could be...

EDIT: I looked it up

Two choppers were shoot down in the City, 3 others were damaged.

Damn I can´t remember. It has been a few Years since I read that book.

Definately 2 crashed in the City and one made it back to base with a engine hit.

One in the Shipyards? Could be...

EDIT: I looked it up

Two choppers were shoot down in the City, 3 others were damaged.

Thanks for looking that up. That would explain where I got the 5 from.

Huh, seems like they'd have to lean over the edge of a roof to avoid frying their own feet. And so much effort for that itty bitty warhead.

Or a trench? From what i've read it seemed to give the Brits pause for thought, at least until fast jets were brought to bear and the snipers got to work.

The RPG gunners don´t burn their legs. They modified their RPGs for the purpose of shooting on helicopters without burning their feet. I think they attach a curved tube to the end of the Launcher.

I tried last night to shoot at a Hind with an RPG. (In A2... in case anyone thought I sit at home trying to shoot down random helos....) It is really hard! The Hind was ~ 100m up or so, over Fallujah, and it was moving... albeit slowly... and I couldn't do it.

It would take a specific set of parameters, I think, to get off a high-percentage shot at one. And alot of practice. :)

Well the black hawks that shot down where hovering 21 meters of the ground. So that is as easy as hitting a building espically if you are standing under it.

Well the black hawks that shot down where hovering 21 meters of the ground. So that is as easy as hitting a building espically if you are standing under it.

It's not as easy you might think, factors come in to play like Rotor Wash, M134s' and... well Dust, and the general difficulties in firing an RPG at a moving object above you.

I'm sure the general target was the MH60 body rather then the Rotor, (seeing as it presents a bigger target; atleast thats what I would be aiming for if I had the RPG and high on khaki) - just so happens the grenade lined up into the tail... Twice.

S41

Edited by Star Four One

Hi, for hit a M24 alike chopper, a UH-1 or a MH-60 alike with a LAW-72 you're told to try it only at less than 100m from the target, and with distraction fire as cover; only a valid tactic if:

A) It's hovering very near the ground.

B) Exactly when it touchs off or when it's between 3 to 5m of the ground/water.

You've to aim to the main rotor and will probably hit an engine, it's enough to damage it to the point of make it leave the zone, your goal is to get rid of it, make it leave is also a score; overall if it don't leaves the soldiers on board or don't leave 'em in good condition (read: wounded) or don't leave 'em where they were needed by the NME. Let's C ya

Great discussion so far! Here is some more food for thought - Chechen rebels have been known to use not only the RPGs, but even the underbarell grenade launchers (i.e. GP-25) to engage Russian hellos... I don't remember if any Hinds were actually brought down by them, but I do recall reading about a few that were damaged in that manner.

Peace,

DreDay

Edited by DreDay

I saw a programme that said Muji's would sit in tree's waiting for the hinds to fly over... They didnt care if it was moving or not... Obv hit % was stupidly low.... and hitting anything vital was just pure luck for them.... Fortunately I think they tended to get blasted the fuck to pieces... Or just ignored... Wastemen..

Great discussion so far! Here is some more food for thought - Chechen rebels have been known to use not only the RPGs, but even the underbarell grenade launchers (i.e. GP-25) to engage Russian hellos... I don't remember if any Hinds were actually brought down by them, but I do recall reading about a few that were damaged in that manner.

Peace,

DreDay

Well the Hind is called "flying tank" for a reason. I don't think that a GP-25 Round can bring it down.

Well the Hind is called "flying tank" for a reason. I don't think that a GP-25 Round can bring it down.

I'm sure they didn't only use them against Hinds if that were true. Not to mention there used to be places on hinds that single well placed bullets from older weapons could bring it down allegedly.

Mi-24 (Wikipedia)

There is some interesting stuff there although I couldn't find the weak points discussion there.

I'm sure they didn't only use them against Hinds if that were true. Not to mention there used to be places on hinds that single well placed bullets from older weapons could bring it down allegedly.

Mi-24 (Wikipedia)

There is some interesting stuff there although I couldn't find the weak points discussion there.

Here is a list of Soviet Aircraft losses (Be advised it's a Wiki) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Soviet_aircraft_losses_in_Afghanistan

I have a "info sheet" referencing MI-24 losses to RPG fire.. although, I can't seem to pinpoint any online references nor any amount of number for that matter.

S41

Back to ARMA 2, I've brought down a Hind in OA with an M107 sniper rifle. The dumb SOB was hovering still just above a ridge at my prone eye level about 500 m away (I think, it could have been a little further). I fired several shots at the canopy and several more at the engine and into the front intakes as it yawed and pitched. It made what looked to be an emergency crash landing. When I went down to check the wreck to try to see what brought it down. I was able to enter the cockpit and there were bullet holes in the canopy, so I surmised it was brought down by hitting the AI pilot (?). I started the engine, but I can't recall if it worked or not (I don't believe it did, otherwise I'm sure I would have put it in the air and attacked some Takis).

Edited by MissionCreep

Back to ARMA 2, I've brought down a Hind in OA with an M107 sniper rifle. The dumb SOB was hovering still just above a ridge at my prone eye level about 500 m away (I think, it could have been a little further). I fired several shots at the canopy and several more at the engine and into the front intakes as it yawed and pitched. It made what looked to be an emergency crash landing. When I went down to check the wreck to try to see what brought it down. I was able to enter the cockpit and there were bullet holes in the canopy, so I surmised it was brought down by hitting the AI pilot (?). I started the engine, but I can't recall if it worked or not (I don't believe it did, otherwise I'm sure I would have put it in the air and attacked some Takis).

That one was just a general damage texture I'm afraid, it is present for most vehicles that go below a certain level of "health". The most effective and ammo conserving is to try and hit the tailrotor (almost always gets disabled by the first shot). I feel the M107 a little bit underpowered against vehicles sometimes (not the AS50 though, it destroys things like it's 20mm and not a 50 cal).